KTM Forums banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
2022 1290 SAR
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2022 SAR and I have a couple of questions about fuel capacity, range, and reserve:
  • The manual talks about filling the bike up and stopping once the top 'mini' tank is full and then letting it drain down and don't fill it anymore. Their logic is, if you overfill it, it will bleed gas out the charcoal canister and 'use it up'. Not really concerned about this, but when you guys fill up, do you just keep topping it up until it is full like a traditional tank would be?
  • Once I fill it up, with my riding it typically shows full bars and 180 mile range. But when I look up the fuel capacity and fuel economy numbers, I'd expect closer to 220ish. So, when the dash says 0mile range, is there 1 gallon of unlisted reserve?
I don't really want to run it dry but I'm struggling to find actual numbers and the published fuel capacity is a bit confusing with the manual's note about not filling the 'top tank'.

·
Registered
x_posts
Your gas mileage is always based on your overall speed, your dashboard can say you have 180 miles range after fill up & that’s calculated off speeds you were doing, with a full tank & riding at 50mph your dash will re-calculate & probably show 240 miles range. I always use my trip meters

·
Registered
18 SDR
x_posts
I have the 2022 SAR and I have a couple of questions about fuel capacity, range, and reserve:
  • The manual talks about filling the bike up and stopping once the top 'mini' tank is full and then letting it drain down and don't fill it anymore. Their logic is, if you overfill it, it will bleed gas out the charcoal canister and 'use it up'. Not really concerned about this, but when you guys fill up, do you just keep topping it up until it is full like a traditional tank would be?
  • Once I fill it up, with my riding it typically shows full bars and 180 mile range. But when I look up the fuel capacity and fuel economy numbers, I'd expect closer to 220ish. So, when the dash says 0mile range, is there 1 gallon of unlisted reserve?
I don't really want to run it dry but I'm struggling to find actual numbers and the published fuel capacity is a bit confusing with the manual's note about not filling the 'top tank'.
I’ve learned with KTMs to run them dry ( I carry some extra fuel when I do them) at least once so I have an understanding of the real world range for my riding style. I then always use the trip meter to track my range as the “fuel gauge” is non linear (it shows plenty of range then suddenly drops to 20km). My 2018 SDR has an 18l tank and I determined my range around 300-315km.

x_y_of_z_posts