KTM Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting in to neutral with this bike is very frustrating! Whether I'm in first or second when rolling to an intersection where I will likely have to wait for a minute, trying to get it in to neutral is usually a process that involves bouncing up and down at least 2 or 3 times. The resistance to get it to move up or down is so much that it's nearly impossible to finesse it in to neutral.

I initially complained to the dealer about this a few months in and they assured me it was normal and just a thing that would have to wear in. I brought it in for some minor warranty issues about a month before a year of ownership and with about 4000 miles on the bike and they said it's not something abnormal; not under warranty.

After having spent years riding a KLR650, which is considered a tractor, I thought the KTM would at least have as smooth of a gearbox.

I have one of the Rotweiller aftermarket parts, but I'm still annoyed that I need to install an aftermarket part to make the transmission work correctly. I wonder, am I alone? Did I get a ****ed up gearbox and just get gaslighted by the dealer?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had this problem on my Aprilia a while ago and after a bit of checking found it was because of a bent gear lever, caused when I dropped it in the garage. Look for the stupid things first!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had same problem on my KTM 1290 Super Adventure when I bought it last year. After cleaning up the clutch oil jet I don’t have that issue anymore. Look that up, it might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
Getting in to neutral with this bike is very frustrating! Whether I'm in first or second when rolling to an intersection where I will likely have to wait for a minute, trying to get it in to neutral is usually a process that involves bouncing up and down at least 2 or 3 times. The resistance to get it to move up or down is so much that it's nearly impossible to finesse it in to neutral.

I initially complained to the dealer about this a few months in and they assured me it was normal and just a thing that would have to wear in. I brought it in for some minor warranty issues about a month before a year of ownership and with about 4000 miles on the bike and they said it's not something abnormal; not under warranty.

After having spent years riding a KLR650, which is considered a tractor, I thought the KTM would at least have as smooth of a gearbox.

I have one of the Rotweiller aftermarket parts, but I'm still annoyed that I need to install an aftermarket part to make the transmission work correctly. I wonder, am I alone? Did I get a ****ed up gearbox and just get gaslighted by the dealer?
Switch to an Oberon clutch slave cylinder. Before I made the change, I used to have to burp the clutch bleeder valve every few thousand miles, as the bike would get to where you could not find neutral when the bike was stopped with the engine running. You will find most riders make this change along the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, look into why your clutch is dragging. My 2016 1290 SA releases completely, is buttery shifting, and plenty easy to get into neutral. Not all my bikes have been so kind. Like nearly all of them.
In the mean time you might try finding neutral before you get stopped. It should be easy peazy at 10 mph. It's just a new habit you might have to learn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As previously mentioned, I had the same problem finding neutral. I found that it was easier to shut off the bike to find neutral. Then I discovered he thread about cleaning the oil jet. After this not-so-tough project, the transmission works the way it is supposed to.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have around 250 miles on my 22 890 Adv, and I have the same problem. Sometimes it bounces into neural while coasting to a stop, but I figured it was just because it is so new.

·
Registered
2019 1290SAS, 2003 aprilia Tuono, 1976 Honda CB400F under restoration
23 Posts
Both the conditions and/or attributes of engine oil and oil jets can contribute to hard to find neutrals. I expierenced this with aprilia's big twin engine.

·
Full Throttle
2008 RC8 / 2007 690
7,309 Posts
Neutral is determined by the size of the indent arm wheel as it fits into the recessed portion of the shift star...

Adv guys might benifit greatly by swapping out to a larger wheel indent arm and corresponding shift star ..

·
Registered
13 Posts
KTM 1290 bikes are very sensitive with chain tension , if your chain tension is wrong the neutal finding will be alot difficult, also you can bleed the clutch. But if your oil is old that could be the problem too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts