KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First bike i've ever bought new and first KTM/naked bike period. I've been riding CBR600RRs for over a decade now.

So far this bike has been amazing. Only thing i'm wondering so far is it seems a bit loose at highway speeds (like head wobble). Seems to recover, but I prefer to not end up in a tank slapper situation. Should I be looking at suspension adjustments? New upgraded steering stabilizer? Maybe I should slow down? :(

Looking for recommendations on:
  • Frame sliders - seems like Evotech is the go to0? Do people order direct or are there US distributors with decent prices?
  • Mirrors - the stock ones are a bit bulky for my liking
  • Exhaust - stock one is....ugly
  • Mini windshield - is this a thing on naked bikes? I ride a fair amount of highway on my commute and seems like it might be nice
  • Radiator guard - seems to be recommended often on this forum?
  • GPS Tracker - just a general ask if people use these

Also open to any other upgrades people like on their bikes!

Thanks in advance,

-C13

·
Registered
2021 890 Duke R
14 Posts
Hi All,

First bike i've ever bought new and first KTM/naked bike period. I've been riding CBR600RRs for over a decade now.

So far this bike has been amazing. Only thing i'm wondering so far is it seems a bit loose at highway speeds (like head wobble). Seems to recover, but I prefer to not end up in a tank slapper situation. Should I be looking at suspension adjustments? New upgraded steering stabilizer? Maybe I should slow down? :(

• Frame sliders - seems like Evotech is the go to0? Do people order direct or are there US distributors with decent prices?
  • Mini windshield - is this a thing on naked bikes? I ride a fair amount of highway on my commute and seems like it might be nice

Thanks in advance,

-C13
I saw a video of a guy putting 10w in his stock steering stabilizer. Said it works great factory is 5w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Congratulations, your 890r is one of the best bikes ever, so go to youtube, search for Hooligan Race at Laguna Seca, Chris Filmore, on his boss's 890, that will def get you going.
so ...
get your wheel, tire, rotor balanced / balance checked, tire pressure and make sure forks are perfect. the 890R should run fast even no hands fast, make sure You are not the problem, using death grip on you handlebars. go to youtube, search for Dave Moss Tuning, for all your suspension requirements. he is worth it.

get the radiator guard and sliders, either evo tech or t rex before you get on another hi speed ride. I know you will not enjoy replacing the very expensive radiator or / and the extremely expensive plastic and engine covers. see t rex. sliders for handle bars, front and rear axles, frame and engine covers, not crash bars.

enjoy enjoy, but get your bike protected asap, or sooner. do not procrastinate, you will regret it. just do it.

a bikini racing windscreen, like the MRA racing windscreen, not expensive but massive relief at freeway speeds, just do it.

I would also consider a new set of michelin power cup 2 tires, and I know this will set off many opinions and arguments, but they are the absolute best for the 890R and 1290R, street and track, not great mileage, but keeps your bike shiny side up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had no issues with the steering being loose / tank slap at speed, I'd echo above and be sure tires are balanced / correct pressure and be sure everything in the head assembly is tight and right.

I don't have frame sliders yet, but the Evotech is on my list to get. I did put the KTM tinted fly screen on mine, mainly for looks to clean up the space between headlight and display, but it actually moves the air pretty well. I'm also looking to replace my mirrors, but I'm still looking, maybe a pair of Super Duke mirrors?

I installed the Evotech radiator guard and got an SC Project S1 exhaust. It looks and sounds so good.

Have fun with your bike, it is really a great machine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greatly appreciate everyones input so far. I think I might have been at fault death gripping my bars and causing excess wiggle, will continue to monitor.

Forgot to solicit new license plate mounts. Most people seem to mention tidy tail (is this the one made by Evotech?). Are there any others people like? Anyone seen one with a flip up option? You know....for aero purposes ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the J-Tech tail tidy. Happy with it and well priced. Very similar to Mustard Bikes tt. Google 790 Duke tail tidy...a few good options with pics and same fit as 890.
Heads up though, back tyre throws up rain to your back/helmet with tt fitted, if that bothers you. Still worth it for the look imo.

·
Registered
2021 KTM 890 Duke
44 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

-C13
Rad Guard/Frame Sliders: Evotech has a radiator Guard seems to be the go to one along with all the sliders. best bet would be to order them from a site in your country.

Wind Screen:I have the KTM Powerparts one which helps, but with the amount of highway riding I do there has to be better so I ordered Ermax Sport Windscreen (32 cm) hoping that one Is a bit better (I'll find out in the spring).

Exhaust I went with Ixil RC exhaust which sounds/looks good, but the picture shows an Carbonfiber guard on the pipe to protect your leg and mine didn't come with it and when I asked them about it they said it doesn't exist (so not happy about that). KTM Powerparts Akrapovic, SC Porject, Austin Racing, Yoshimura, Wings, Arrow they are all good and sound amazing pretty much pick whatever looks best to you or is easily accessible to you in your country.

Get the techpack and cruise control if you don't have them. KTM Power Parts Heated grips, the 890 versions can be controlled through your dash so no extra buttons on your handle bars (assuming you live somewhere it gets cold enough for them).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts