KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone see this article. We can all speculate that the 2021 SDGT will have a few things carry over from the 2020 SDR but please not the 5" screen ?‍♂.

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,723 Posts
Interesting ....the SDGT will have a trellis rear subframe as opposed to a composite SDR version?
Also, the SDGT revamped within 2 years ? Just revamped 2019....

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I wonder if the Ducati V4 Multistrada for 2021 has had a big impact on the 21Gt's development?

Is KTM HQ in shutdown...... my local bike mag has reported that many factories are shutting down..... :unsure:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I know, they're not shipping, either. Some guys waiting on the 890R's are gonna start getting antsy.
I called my local dealership for my co worker who’s interested in a 890 but they told me they won’t even get 1 this year. They said only a certain amount are coming over and only certain dealerships will be getting them.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Interesting ....the SDGT will have a trellis rear subframe as opposed to a composite SDR version?
Also, the SDGT revamped within 2 years ? Just revamped 2019....
Yes, I read a report in our local 'Aus M/C News' magazine where they stated the trellis rear frame is there to handle the extra load rating for luggage and passenger. Certainly a surprise to have a 'new' model so soon after the 2019 update, but that must be the new normal now..... or it's a sign of just how tight the competition is between the manufacturer's......

I think Ducati started something by plonking their V4 Superleggo motor into their 21 Multistrada....... Yet to see if the plague will delay any of these planned new model releases.......

:unsure:

PS That's an enormous radiator on the spy shot.......

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, I read a report in our local 'Aus M/C News' magazine where they stated the trellis rear frame is there to handle the extra load rating for luggage and passenger. Certainly a surprise to have a 'new' model so soon after the 2019 update, but that must be the new normal now..... or it's a sign of just how tight the competition is between the manufacturer's......

I think Ducati started something by plonking their V4 Superleggo motor into their 21 Multistrada....... Yet to see if the plague will delay any of these planned new model releases.......

:unsure:

PS That's an enormous radiator on the spy shot.......
The new Multi has been spied with a 19 inch front wheel, a huge turn off for the sportier road crowd. Unless they stay on 17's where the best rubber and handling can be found, I don't see sales booming on the motor alone

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yes that is the new Enduro model...... so stay tuned for a new S touring or Pikes Peak version once the factory re-opens after the Corona plague has ended ;).......

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
:ROFLMAO:........ only $30k....... oh, you're USD....... prob right...... the MS1260ST is around $36k on road in Aus so the V4 will be more......

(y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes that is the new Enduro model...... so stay tuned for a new S touring or Pikes Peak version once the factory re-opens after the Corona plague has ended ;).......
I agree with this, I believe there will be 2 versions. An enduro version ( which makes no sense to me) the other road version will be the new V4 Pikes Peak and will be priced as such.
My guess is there won't be a V4 standard touring S version, that role will be left for the 1260 ( at least for the next year or 2)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
tell me what are the advantages of a v4 sport touring? I haven't researched but wouldn't tank range be a little higher on the list for this class?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
:LOL:....... You know how Ducati thinks........ performance at all costs........ and 'cost' it will........ but just maybe they had to go to a V4 to meet Euro5 or 6,7,8,9 in the future?

We are our own worst enemy, always wanting more Hp even though we already have plenty now. But as usual, once the Prima Donna flagship becomes real (hey, maybe it was an April 1st fools day hoax...... o_O in my bike mag?) ........ lets just hope the weight and fuel consumption and sheer size of the bike doesn't become a big negative (or the $40k Au presumed price tag:eek:).

(y)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Amazing how much they do to disguise a prototype..... removed body work makes the tail look like a 19SDR, no front guard, no side rad panels etc etc......

I'm guessing it'll be a late 21 appearance or early 22 given the current business restrictions and probable slow economic recovery/recession...... :unsure:.

:eek: Mate of mine just Emailed me - one of our top Aussie bike magazines has just now succumbed to the downturn (Motorcycle Trader), and has closed their doors.......

:(

·
Registered
130 Posts
Crazy to think that the SDGT would be in its 3rd iteration already. I had a feeling that it wouldn't last 3 years. Here in the US, I've maybe seen 3 or 4 out in the wild since I bought mine in 2017. I've need many more SDRs in comparison. But here we are with an alleged redesigned SDGT for 2021. I'm interested to see just how much more they can make the SDGT better. My 2016 is probably the best bike I've owned. I haven't ridden the 2019s yet, but I've read they made a phenomenal bike better somehow. I still prefer the front end of the 16-18s. The 19s and up look like murder hornets.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Same great bike...... just had to adopt the Euro 5 engine (thus the frame) used on the 20 SDR to stay within the emissions regs. I really like the new wheels..... way easier to clean!

I think the US sales story was almost a disaster by default..... the European story was different .... but it all seems to have settled down now and the importers and dealers seem to have lifted their game....... It's also a premium price, high performance thing, not suited to the mass market or straight roads buyer so I think it will always struggle in the US where the tourer's go for FJR1300's or Concourse 1400's etc...... but we have lots of tight twisty roads close to our cities so it's a winner here in Aus :D.

We can all speculate that the 2021 SDGT will have a few things carry over from the 2020 SDR but please not the 5" screen ?‍♂.

I've just seen this pic of the 2020 SDR Dash and I gotta ask, 'what's not to like about this?'........ It's light years better than my 17GT's old style/hard to read dash.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts