KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
You want the best all rounder, with the best luggage, the best flexibility, the most comfortable riding position and the largest aftermarket?

There is only 1.

;)

Here Is the 2019 BMW R1250GS in All Its Official Glory - Asphalt & Rubber

My 19 GT is currently at the dealers...for the second time with the same fault in 6 months. The dash is throwing fault codes (getting worse), and it is hard to start when cold...this morning, it was particularly bad...

Don't get me wrong, the engine/handling/brakes are superb, and there are many faultless ones out there...but there are quite a few with faults like mine.

I'm an Electrical/comms Engineer by profession, and these faults should not be happening...it is a design flaw somewhere.

I'm guessing that the ECU may be overly susceptible to battery voltage fluctuations.....if so, that is just **** engineering design - to use a technical term.

I'm seriously leaning towards a 2020 Super Duke R...or (wash my mouth out) going back to a new 1250GS...

·
Registered
05 Duc 999R, 15 KTM Super Adventure
43 Posts
i am In an area that has excellent support! No issues for me w Ducati since my first purchase in 2005
same for KTM, purchase in 2015.

Ever since I took out a 916 in the mid 90's and almost blew my nut, I've adored Duc's. BUT. They remain extraordinarily unreliable and prone to pain in the butt issues, which along with high service costs, render them unobtanium for most. Perusing the V4 forums highlights what I'm talking about. A saying born from the days when the desmoquattro first appeared on the earth still holds true: To own a Ducati you need to be a rectifier replacement expert and a clutch plate reassembler. God I love them though!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
:ROFLMAO: :D.......... I can't publish what my 2016 BMW R1200RT owning buddie said about his bike when it 'failed to proceed' 600kms from civilization out near Norseman in Western Australia (get a map and look it up...... middle of nowhere!), while on a 5,000km ride to Perth from Brisbane, with his wife as co-pilot and a work colleague on his Honda ST1300 ......

Luckily his QLD roadside assist covered towing to Kalgoorlie (about 600kms away from the lonely unexpected roadside stoppage) which had the only bike shop for 000's of kms (a Honda dealer)........ they hired a car to get to Perth and attend their Honda Riders Club event (and boy 'o' boy did they cop heaps for failing to get there on their BMW :LOL:)........There's no BMW dealership that far out on the Nullarbor Plain :ROFLMAO: and the Honda shop had no idea how to fix a BMW so he arranged road freight back to Brisbane while he +1 took a luxo train ride to Adelaide and a flight home from there. Bike turned up a few weeks after they got home.

He had selected his pristine low km BMW from his stable of Honda's, for the trip, as his venerable Honda ST1100 had 250,000kms on the clock and he thought the much newer BMW would be much more reliable.......... the fault diagnosed after the BM got back to Brisbane on the back of a truck, was caused by corrosion on the fuel pump connectors, buried deep within the body work and under a weather proof cover on the fuel pump. This stopped the pump and terminated his long trek west...... it was a fault BMW forum members knew about but BMW service techs would never admit, so at least now he knows!

On another ride, months later, his screen stopped rising and lowering. BMW diagnosed faulty ECM modules which turned out to be a recall item dealers had to back order from the EU...... when they eventually arrived at the dealership they were the wrong ones, so the dealer kindly pinched one from a showroom bike..........

But he still loves his BMW as it is one of the few bikes that meets his needs (always 2 up, luggage capacity, weather protection and comfort, low maintenance shaft drive and huge fuel range per tank). I often feel I should buy a BMW every time I ride with him........ But, then again....... :unsure::unsure:.

Ahhhh, the myth of BMW superiority and resale value......... fact is motorcycles are more exposed to the weather and vibrations, than car components, and with increasing tech and very high performance (the V4S MS has 14 to 1 compression ratio vs the SDGT's 13.6 to 1 o_O) it's no wonder some parts might fail occasionally.

Good luck with new Aprilia's....... I assume Piaggio has changed their attitude to warranty care and parts supply by now. I've heard from insiders that Dukeatty is still regarded as being the best of the Italian crew....... even so, there's a lot of tech onboard all these new gen bikes ....... which is why they are so fab to ride (y)

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yeah, yeah :p - I've owned 2 x GS, 1 X RT, and XR and an R...and ridden rented GS to the IoM (twice), all over the UK and EU....all were prefect.

In terms of faults per number of bikes, the GT's record is quite poor compared to the GS - in raw numbers.....but that stonking V twin is so addictive.

If only the Japs could do the KTM electronics....!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Cheers Troppo,..... I take your point....... but the Japs aren't necessarily deserving of the reputation they earned in the 80's-90's, as they also suffer from crook components supplied by contractor's........ the higher the tech, the more likely something is gonna play up......... but would riders buy more basic motorcycles.....:unsure: .

There's probably some middle ground in there somewhere, but the manufacturer's seem to think the market demands more electronics. What next? I read Honda is exploring a system where the bike's ECU monitors a riders brain signals via a helmet sensor........ WTF for I wonder - I wouldn't want my bike reading my thoughts - might be embarrassing :LOL: .........

Do we just sit on the bike and imagine where we want to go, and it takes us there?

Ahhh the future....... but some tech has been brilliant.... ABS, TC, CC, Cornering Lights, etc so it's not all bad.

I hope that gorilla of a mechanic at KTM Springwood finds out what is going on with your gen2 and sorts that out - it's still got warranty I think, so if it's a dodgy dash it won't cost a motza. Most likely it's something stupid simple like a bad earth or a fractured wire...... simple but bloody difficult to find..........

(y)

·
Registered
43 Posts
My ktm shop is not optimistic for gen3 super duke gt in US anytime soon

·
Registered
51 Posts
My ktm shop is not optimistic for gen3 super duke gt in US anytime soon
I know KTM is in a tough position with a lot of new and unsold 2020s (and probably 2019s) in dealer inventory, but they also risk losing sales by holding back too long on the announcement. They don't need to rush the bike to market, but they do need to let buyer's know what their options are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a current tuono v4 owner who recently had double hip surgery and is looking for something more comfortable to tolerate the 1-2 hours i have to spend on the highway just to get to anything fun to ride in SoCal. A new SDGT is looking like a pretty compelling option but i've been off the bike for close to a year now and i'm absolutely dying to get back out and ride. I called the nearest dealership to me and they said they don't have a demo, had no interest in adding me to any kind of pre-sale list as they said ktm usually just ships bikes to them with 3 days notice and that's it. Are there any good KTM dealers in SoCal worth talking to? I'm willing to drive if they're not total slime balls.

I emailed KTM after speaking to this dealer to ask how I go about demoing one of their bikes (can they help locate a demo for me?) and if there is any ETA on the 2021 SDGT and received this reply: "I am responding to your submission regarding a 2021 1290 Super Duke GT. The KTM Super Duke GT is not a returning model for 2021. As far as test rides go, they are at the discretion of the dealer and if they have a demo unit available for test rides."

So once again, no help and confusing reply? Not a wonderful couple first impressions. Even Subaru has been able to easily track down new cars for me in minutes on the phone.

The KTM reply has me pretty confused as the 2021 is already on the KTM website. Anyways, this whole thing is kind of a turn off from a new buyer who was able to walk into bmw and ducati and test ride bikes with ease. Sadly the s1000xr is stop-sale due to a brake caliper recall right now and the new Multistrada isn't available yet. It seems there are some 2020 SDGT's at local dealers but at $19k asking price that seems awfully steep for something that's getting some big changes in the 2021 version? I'm the furthest thing from brand loyal, the only thing i'm unwilling to do is overpay for something outdated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I go to 3-bros in Costa Mesa. They take good care of me.
not sure if they will demo.
my friend buys from GP in San Diego. They might demo.

good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bleo - the 2021 base Tuono is being marketed as having revised and relaxed ergos, who knows if that will be enough to make a difference, but worth checking out. Another possibility is the new Speed Triple 1200 that will be announced on the 26th.

The email you received on the '21 GT is interesting. Connecting the dots, my guess is they are trying to get rid of the '20 inventory in stock and will introduce the revised GT as a '22 model. The UK lists the '21 GT with an asterisk, which seems to suggest it's really just leftover '20 models. As the beginning of this thread notes, spy shots of a new GT with the '20 R chassis circulated about one year ago, so a new model is coming, but it looks like they will delay it. Maybe it comes in the summer as an early '22.

I don't understand dealers that won't allow a demo ride. One of the BMW dealers in my area puts a $2000 charge on your credit card before they will let you ride and then zeros that out when you bring the bike back in one piece. I am fine with this approach, a credit check or whatever. Having hurdles to test ride seems prudent, but not offering them at all means you won't get my sale. Sorry for the rant....

·
Registered
2 Posts
The email you received on the '21 GT is interesting. Connecting the dots, my guess is they are trying to get rid of the '20 inventory in stock and will introduce the revised GT as a '22 model. The UK lists the '21 GT with an asterisk, which seems to suggest it's really just leftover '20 models. As the beginning of this thread notes, spy shots of a new GT with the '20 R chassis circulated about one year ago, so a new model is coming, but it looks like they will delay it. Maybe it comes in the summer as an early '22.
I think you may be onto something, I followed up with KTM via email and this was their response: "The website link you provided is KTM International and does not apply to the North American market. Please refer to KTM - READY TO RACE for all available models in North America."

·
Registered
153 Posts
One of the BMW dealers in my area puts a $2000 charge on your credit card before they will let you ride
Scummy practice that. The most I've ever had to do is sign a doc saying I'll pay excess if I put it down the road. I'd never hand over my cc details just to secure a test thrash. I'd say that dealer's been burnt in the past but the legality of what they're doing is questionable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Scummy practice that. The most I've ever had to do is sign a doc saying I'll pay excess if I put it down the road. I'd never hand over my cc details just to secure a test thrash. I'd say that dealer's been burnt in the past but the legality of what they're doing is questionable.
This dealer is one a friend uses and occasionally I'll pick him up when he drops a bike off for service and do a demo ride there just for the heck of it. My (Ducati) dealer is also a BMW dealer and they require no such "deposit" and I do most of my Ducati and BMW demo riding there.

I don't have a problem with the deposit practice and its legality is not an issue in the States. The paperwork they have you fill out makes you basically agree to pay the deductible on their policy if you get in accident. The hold on your card is basically a credit check. Here in the states, the practice is used for other forms of rental. I believe many car rentals require it for drivers under 26 years old. The nice thing about it is that if something happens, you are free and clear as far as your own insurance goes as you are limited to the $2000 liability.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My response probably won't be too much help to you but before we entered the covid era KTM ran demo days all across the country. Since my local KTM (Kawi, Triumph, too) dealer doesn't offer test rides , this was the only way I could ride a GT. KTM also provided a certificate for $500 of power parts or swag after the demo. In my case, that's all it took for me to buy one. I see there's nothing on the KTM USA site about demo rides so we'll have to wait until the covid scare is over.

I emailed KTM after speaking to this dealer to ask how I go about demoing one of their bikes (can they help locate a demo for me?) and if there is any ETA on the 2021 SDGT and received this reply: "I am responding to your submission regarding a 2021 1290 Super Duke GT. The KTM Super Duke GT is not a returning model for 2021. As far as test rides go, they are at the discretion of the dealer and if they have a demo unit available for test rides."

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just bought a Super Duke R, there were no offers of test ride either. Too many squids I guess. So I made them turn the ignition on to show a 1 mile ODO to make sure others aren’t getting test rides on MY bike before I buy it! 😜 haa haa

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It's difficult to get new bike demo's, but for your purpose locating a used bike and riding it to feel the rider triangle to agree with your hip would do.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm tempted by a new R....

:)
I traded my 2015 Superduke in for the new 2020 Superduke 1290 R and since dialing it in with the full Akra and some other mods it’s just an exceptional motorcycle. I’d recommend checking one out, the bike feels much improved in many ways over the Gen 1

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had a couple dealers all tell me the same thing. NEW KTMs can't really be demo'ed. There's something about the bikes computer being locked until they are sold. Once sold, the bikes are registered in the system and "activated". They can't even start them beforehand. If there's some rare service work needed before the bike can be sold, they have to get a special code from KTM to allow the computer/bike to be started. But its very limited as to what KTM will allow.
When they do have a new model that they want to make a long term demo, they have to arrange it thru KTM, and get a special code. The bike has to be kept by the dealership as a designated demo bike for X number of months. All the mileage it tracked and reported to KTM. But it's still a "regular" activation when the bike is actually sold.

I don't know how much of it is actually true, but I've been told basically the same thing from multiple dealers.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts