KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had a couple dealers all tell me the same thing. NEW KTMs can't really be demo'ed. There's something about the bikes computer being locked until they are sold. Once sold, the bikes are registered in the system and "activated". They can't even start them beforehand. If there's some rare service work needed before the bike can be sold, they have to get a special code from KTM to allow the computer/bike to be started. But its very limited as to what KTM will allow.
When they do have a new model that they want to make a long term demo, they have to arrange it thru KTM, and get a special code. The bike has to be kept by the dealership as a designated demo bike for X number of months. All the mileage it tracked and reported to KTM. But it's still a "regular" activation when the bike is actually sold.

I don't know how much of it is actually true, but I've been told basically the same thing from multiple dealers.
id find a different dealer, I’ve never heard of this

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's been a year since the spy shots of a nearly ready for prime time bike were shown and there is nothing but crickets from KTM. I know 2020 was a difficult year and delays happen, but communication goes a long way. Even if they simply confirmed a one year delay and that it would be released in '22, it would be helpful.
Maybe they are worried about over-promising or maybe they are trying to help dealers liquidate the 2019 and 2020 stock before announcing the new bike.

·
Registered
344 Posts
id find a different dealer, I’ve never heard of this
Agreed, it's a bullish*t line. I got a dealer to start up an un-sold bike. They run fine.

He did try saying no, I simply stated "Do you want to sell this bike or not?". He started her up. I bought the bike elsewhere just because he was difficult.

Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently test rode the Multistrada V4s, former owner of 3 multistradas, a '17 SDGT and now a '20 SDGT. I really hope KTM didn't go back to the drawing board based on the V4 multi, they'd end up building yet another GS clone.

The V4s MTS is really good, much better than I expected but it's just not the bike I'm looking for (jedi mind tricks). It's leant way too far towards touring emphasis for me. It's very comfortable and the engine is great. Brakes are good. A buddy and I took it out for about 45 minutes and went from half a tank to fuel light. I really hope the milage improves because otherwise you're paying for range you don't get and comfort you don't need.

No temptation to buy one, I might have considered a more sport focussed version.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I recently test rode the Multistrada V4s, former owner of 3 multistradas, a '17 SDGT and now a '20 SDGT. I really hope KTM didn't go back to the drawing board based on the V4 multi, they'd end up building yet another GS clone.

The V4s MTS is really good, much better than I expected but it's just not the bike I'm looking for (jedi mind tricks). It's leant way too far towards touring emphasis for me. It's very comfortable and the engine is great. Brakes are good. A buddy and I took it out for about 45 minutes and went from half a tank to fuel light. I really hope the milage improves because otherwise you're paying for range you don't get and comfort you don't need.

No temptation to buy one, I might have considered a more sport focussed version.
I haven't ridden one yet, but I'm expecting to come to the same conclusion. I'm riding a 2013 Multi 1200 that I bought new to replace my 1000DS Multi. when the 1260 came out, the engine and electronics were a nice upgrade, but the longer wheelbase, relaxed steering and extra weight made it feel a bit more "relaxed" and touring focused to me, so I stuck with my 1200 and waited. I had high hopes for the V4. Foolishly, I thought maybe they'd take it back to its roots. I'll give it a ride, but really expect it to be off my list once I do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't ridden one yet, but I'm expecting to come to the same conclusion. I'm riding a 2013 Multi 1200 that I bought new to replace my 1000DS Multi. when the 1260 came out, the engine and electronics were a nice upgrade, but the longer wheelbase, relaxed steering and extra weight made it feel a bit more "relaxed" and touring focused to me, so I stuck with my 1200 and waited. I had high hopes for the V4. Foolishly, I thought maybe they'd take it back to its roots. I'll give it a ride, but really expect it to be off my list once I do.
I had the same hopes. There are rumours that the Pikes Peak (that makes little sense due to them racing the streetfighter V4 there - RIP Carlin Dunne) but a properly sport oriented V4 with 17/17 might have a chance.

I did feel the gyroscopic procession (I did a science!) on the 19" front at higher speeds but a low speeds it was fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same hopes. There are rumours that the Pikes Peak (that makes little sense due to them racing the streetfighter V4 there - RIP Carlin Dunne) but a properly sport oriented V4 with 17/17 might have a chance.

I did feel the gyroscopic procession (I did a science!) on the 19" front at higher speeds but a low speeds it was fine.
I've heard rumors about a 17" front wheel/190 section rear version coming out, but I am skeptical. I have also heard rumors of a bigger supersport or a GT version of the Streetfighter and I am even more skeptical of those rumors.
A V4 Pikes Peak Multi will likely be a $30+k out the door motorcycle. Before the bike was launched, I was getting my pennies saved up and ready to spend $25-30k on what I hoped would be a dream bike and something I would own for 8-10 years. When the bike was released, it really deflated my sails. I am so sick of people saying "you don't need desmo on a streetbike" "double sided swing arms are lighter" "they made it so you can't feel the 19" front wheel" "it really doesn't feel that heavy" "it's lost some character, but is much smoother and more refined than the old V2". For $30k, I don't want a bike that has a list of features and design decisions that I don't like and have to explain away. For $30k I want what I want.
I'm waiting for the revised Superduke GT to come out and see if that gives me what I want. The fact that it will be more like $21-22k is a bonus.
My other option is to keep my 1200 and buy a new Tuono for $16-17k.

If Ducati is going to come out with a truly road/sport oriented version of the v4 Multi, it will likely be too late. I most likely plan to buy this year and won't push past next spring.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have reached the Ides of March and there is no news from KTM on a revised GT. Meanwhile, Ducati has made sure the world sees pics of what looks like a Pikes Peak Multistrada with 17" front wheel and SSS out back. If it is Pikes Peaks, it will likely be over $30K+ in the US.
A revised GT based on the updated 2020 SDR (minus the first year glitches) that sold in the low $20Ks would be nearly $10k cheaper than the Pikes Peak and therefore seem like an easy choice.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
:ROFLMAO:....... I must be going soft in the head :eek:....... I have a perfectly brilliant 17SDGT which has had no issues at all and is a total joy to ride, annnnnd I've just gone and splurged on a RED V4S MS Radar & Tour Pack ........... well at least it's got a center stand, so I suppose that's worth $21k Au changeover........ :devilish:

I look at my pristine 4yo gen 1 in the garage and think, 'what am I doing?' :cry:....... but it's only money and it's time to move on for me at least........ I don't expect the V4SMS to be as good to fang as the SDGT, but it has so much more new tech than my gen 1 era Kato........ including sat nav in the 6.5" TFT dash........ I could have kept the GT for ever as it's so well built and reliable and capable........ time will tell if the Italian matches that or tests my resolve........ I'm sure it will be fine and I have s great dealership to back me up(y)

·
Registered
49 Posts
:ROFLMAO:....... I must be going soft in the head :eek:....... I have a perfectly brilliant 17SDGT which has had no issues at all and is a total joy to ride, annnnnd I've just gone and splurged on a RED V4S MS Radar & Tour Pack ........... well at least it's got a center stand, so I suppose that's worth $21k Au changeover........ :devilish:

I look at my pristine 4yo gen 1 in the garage and think, 'what am I doing?' :cry:....... but it's only money and it's time to move on for me at least........ I don't expect the V4SMS to be as good to fang as the SDGT, but it has so much more new tech than my gen 1 era Kato........ including sat nav in the 6.5" TFT dash........ I could have kept the GT for ever as it's so well built and reliable and capable........ time will tell if the Italian matches that or tests my resolve........ I'm sure it will be fine and I have s great dealership to back me up(y)
Congrats Dave.Enjoy the Duc and ride safely.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Must be why the weather has turned to :poop:........ whenever I buy a new bike, it rains.......... :rolleyes:

:LOL:....... I've never bought a bike without a test ride. This is the first time I've sealed the deal without even sitting on the thing! Fixed that yesterday, after :coffee: with my elders...... sat on the Ducati Australia owned demo V4S Grand Tourismo they had on display, and all the hype about the plush seat is spot on. The dash has a black background and is angle adjustable so no reflections at 11am. There are so many buttons the back-lighting will be invaluable at night. Troy (the sales manager) had ridden it on the Ducati Aus dealer launch ride and he was amazed how "cool" it was on a hot humid day.......those air vents/wings/fan exhausts/etc etc all work to keep the family jewels from cooking! Not that the SDGT was a hot bike by any means, but I was concerned the V4 might have been a hot plate in traffic....... so that's a relief :)

Anyway, I pick it up this afternoon....... I'm excited with the newie, but deeply sad to part with my SDGT....... what a great bike........ whoever snaps that one up is getting a mega bargain ;).

(y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Delivered my 19 - GT to service today. My KTM dealer said that KTM has stopped production of the GT, and that there are no GT sold for 2021.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Delivered my 19 - GT to service today. My KTM dealer said that KTM has stopped production of the GT, and that there are no GT sold for 2021.
I guess that means the revised GT will come out as a '22 model. I wish KTM would simply announce this or at least informally leak it instead of leaving us guessing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Must be why the weather has turned to :poop:........ whenever I buy a new bike, it rains.......... :rolleyes:

:LOL:....... I've never bought a bike without a test ride. This is the first time I've sealed the deal without even sitting on the thing! Fixed that yesterday, after :coffee: with my elders...... sat on the Ducati Australia owned demo V4S Grand Tourismo they had on display, and all the hype about the plush seat is spot on. The dash has a black background and is angle adjustable so no reflections at 11am. There are so many buttons the back-lighting will be invaluable at night. Troy (the sales manager) had ridden it on the Ducati Aus dealer launch ride and he was amazed how "cool" it was on a hot humid day.......those air vents/wings/fan exhausts/etc etc all work to keep the family jewels from cooking! Not that the SDGT was a hot bike by any means, but I was concerned the V4 might have been a hot plate in traffic....... so that's a relief :)

Anyway, I pick it up this afternoon....... I'm excited with the newie, but deeply sad to part with my SDGT....... what a great bike........ whoever snaps that one up is getting a mega bargain ;).

(y)
Awesome Dave, great bike by the sound of the write ups, and you will find the suspension a big step up. Im loving my 950S, the V4 will be amazing, and the 19 inch wheel is very good on the gravel, and hardly notice any difference over a 17 on the road. Great bikes, I'm on my second Multi, first i had for 8 years, longest bike I've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
:LOL:....... Thanks Dave....... I've been busy putting kms on it so I can get the 1000km oil change done by Ducati on Monday, then I'm off on a 1500-2000km 4 day ride :rolleyes: whew, I'll need a holiday after all this pressure. Gotta go and fit my home made rad protection now...... nothing in stock at Ducati........ nothing, not even a small Givi 3D tank bag!

It has been disgustingly humid here (eg 27C but humidity 80% = feels like 32C) so I have gotten more wet from sweating than from rain showers! New bike looks like :poop:, covered in road spray and grime...... but at least I've been able to fit a home made plate so I can run a 34Ltr top box (Ducati have no accessories available for the V4S yet, but I of course have the travel & radar pack so I've got 30L side cases....... welllll, the RHS case is half eaten by the muffler).

Yes it has many great features, but sadly, it is not a patch on the SDGT for handling. I'm in two minds, one minute I regret buying it, then I tell myself 'it's still new and really tight'. The suspension is brilliant (it doesn't skitter and jump over corrugations on a corner apex like the GT was prone to do)....... but the 19" wheel and ultra long wheelbase make a pigs breakfast out of doing 'U' turns and blasting through corners........ it has a brilliant engine!....... I'll get used to it, put different tyres on it in time, and it sure looks good........

I think, if I had test ridden one, I would have waited for the 2022 Pikes Peak with a 17" front.... :unsure:...... but I'll reserve full judgement until after my week long trip...... it'll free up heaps and now I've got the 'recommended by Ducati' tyre pressures in it - 35psiF 37psiR - :ROFLMAO: kind of makes a mockery of all the BS from KTM dealers and certain forum members who proclaim 36F 42R for solo riding is a must on these sub 240kg bikes with 125/127kw engines.......... (y)
Shockingly..... the V4S does not have a TPMS system standard....... o_O ........ it is a $286 option, when the parts are available! :censored:ing cheap-skates...... a $36.5k bike without TPMS - WTF?.......but did I say the engine was brilliant.....:LOL:

·
Registered
331 Posts
^^ Ive had my 950S for 5 weeks, already done 7000kms, i recently did a big road trip with a bunch of mates. 3 -1290's, 2 Adventurers and a GT. My 950 had no problem running with them, and often i was out front making them work hard just keeping me in sight. Ducati's handle well, especially once you have confidence in the stock tires. Mine Scorpion's, and after 7k still look good, rear half worn, front may have another 2k in them. Manual says 33f 33r. I'm 34f and 36r. Ive just ordered aa exhaust for mine. Took me ages to decide, but clicked buy new today. Prob take at least a month or so. F**K hate waiting.

·
Registered
05 Duc 999R, 15 KTM Super Adventure
43 Posts
hope all is well w the v4 MS. What is your impression today?

:LOL:....... Thanks Dave....... I've been busy putting kms on it so I can get the 1000km oil change done by Ducati on Monday, then I'm off on a 1500-2000km 4 day ride :rolleyes: whew, I'll need a holiday after all this pressure. Gotta go and fit my home made rad protection now...... nothing in stock at Ducati........ nothing, not even a small Givi 3D tank bag!

It has been disgustingly humid here (eg 27C but humidity 80% = feels like 32C) so I have gotten more wet from sweating than from rain showers! New bike looks like :poop:, covered in road spray and grime...... but at least I've been able to fit a home made plate so I can run a 34Ltr top box (Ducati have no accessories available for the V4S yet, but I of course have the travel & radar pack so I've got 30L side cases....... welllll, the RHS case is half eaten by the muffler).

Yes it has many great features, but sadly, it is not a patch on the SDGT for handling. I'm in two minds, one minute I regret buying it, then I tell myself 'it's still new and really tight'. The suspension is brilliant (it doesn't skitter and jump over corrugations on a corner apex like the GT was prone to do)....... but the 19" wheel and ultra long wheelbase make a pigs breakfast out of doing 'U' turns and blasting through corners........ it has a brilliant engine!....... I'll get used to it, put different tyres on it in time, and it sure looks good........

I think, if I had test ridden one, I would have waited for the 2022 Pikes Peak with a 17" front.... :unsure:...... but I'll reserve full judgement until after my week long trip...... it'll free up heaps and now I've got the 'recommended by Ducati' tyre pressures in it - 35psiF 37psiR - :ROFLMAO: kind of makes a mockery of all the BS from KTM dealers and certain forum members who proclaim 36F 42R for solo riding is a must on these sub 240kg bikes with 125/127kw engines.......... (y)
Shockingly..... the V4S does not have a TPMS system standard....... o_O ........ it is a $286 option, when the parts are available! :censored:ing cheap-skates...... a $36.5k bike without TPMS - WTF?.......but did I say the engine was brilliant.....:LOL:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
hope all is well w the v4 MS. What is your impression today?
G'day frequent flyer san,

Not wanting to pollute the KTM Forum with Ducati ramblings :D...... but it is a nice bike, and worth a test ride if considering options while waiting endlessly for the gen3 SDGT to appear........ The V4S is a touring bike that has performance vs the SDGT being a hooligan sports bike that can tour. Both are brilliant, but they are not in the same category. The V4S might be more comparable to the 21 model 1290SAS :unsure:.

As in all bike purchases, you win some top new tech and you lose some neat functions in the change, but the V4S has similar Hp to the SDGT, similar weight, side cases, features etc etc , but it has a center stand to make chain mtce/cleaning/packing/parking easy, and full dynamic suspension. I like it, but I question my sanity when I realize my SDGT was still like new and only barely run in at 34k kms....o_O..

I'm competent with the in dash settings now, missing the KTM's TPMS (until tyre change time then I'll buy the optional wheel sensors and have them installed), and the SDGT's in dash volt meter, but otherwise very happy with the ride comfort and the quality. It's a strong motor, but so was my GT. 330mm brake rotors with latest Brembo calipers vs 320mm on GT...... so they work fine. Red vs Orange....... blah blah...;);).

However, the radar CC and blind spot alert warning is brilliant and I use them a lot...... it is the future as it makes life so much easier, and the CC hold's it's speed better uphills and down. I will miss the superior fuel range of the SDGT....... 24ltrs vs 22 in the V4 means it's goodbye to 420km tank range and hello 350km at best :unsure:

Now that the biblical Flooding has been replaced by Pestilence, and my team of bike tourer's has had to cancel our 4 day trip for the second time, I'm still waiting to introduce the Ducati to our best motorcycling highways in NSW....... (we go into a snap 3 day lock down from 5pm today because a local broke quarantine regs and a bit of CV19 has escaped into the community......(n)...)..... maybe we will get to ride our legendary highways in May....... sighhhh :cry:

PS The V4S has a quiet screen and does not cook the riders legs at all. The GT was ok, but did get a bit warm in traffic........ it's really quite remarkable how well the Ducati's vents and fairings work to keep hot air off the rider.

(y)

81 - 100 of 117 Posts