KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Be sure to take a test ride when able..... it may not suit those wanting the super sporty character of the GT....... I know because I miss it :love:, but at 63yo with a metal hip, wasted glute muscle and heart bypass surgery behind me, I accept that I need to slow down a bit to keep my show on the road for the long game ...... (but not by too much...... :devilish:).

(y)

Reactions: Trebor27

·
Registered
51 Posts
Be sure to take a test ride when able..... it may not suit those wanting the super sporty character of the GT....... I know because I miss it :love:, but at 63yo with a metal hip, wasted glute muscle and heart bypass surgery behind me, I accept that I need to slow down a bit to keep my show on the road for the long game ...... (but not by too much...... :devilish:).

(y)
I will demo a V4, but not sure if they are doing that in the midst of the recall. I need to give my dealer a call.

I'm 13 years behind you and still have all of my original parts, so I am seeking something a bit more sporty and raw...while I can still delude myself into thinking I can handle it. The V4 sounds a bit tilted towards "refinement" and comfort, so it currently sits a somewhat distant 3rd on my list. 1st on my list is actually to keep my old Multistrada for longer trips and buy a Tuono for most everything else. A close second is to replace my old Multi with a SD GT. Aprilia and KTM are really dragging on with their releases.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
:LOL:...... and keep in mind I'm only a 930km "expert"........ the V4 might be something very different to me once I have done 5-10k kms and dialed in the settings and learned it's inner secrets......... ;).

PS What's that I read about 'recalls'..... ? Anything serious, or just little precautionary things?

Cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
:LOL:...... and keep in mind I'm only a 930km "expert"........ the V4 might be something very different to me once I have done 5-10k kms and dialed in the settings and learned it's inner secrets......... ;).

PS What's that I read about 'recalls'..... ? Anything serious, or just little precautionary things?

Cheers
I hate being the bearer of potentially bad news, but the recall is very serious. Ducati is offering total engine replacement for affected bikes.

Here is the VIN # check: Ducati Recalls | Ducati safety and upgrade campaigns | Services and Maintenance

Here's an article (North American info): Ducati Begins an Engine Replacement Recall for the Multistrada V4

From the article, it sounds like 60 bikes in North American will get new engines. I have heard the number in the UK is 127. I don't know how accurate those numbers are and have not seen numbers for other countries.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Aha, so it's a world-wide thing......I had a phone call about mine...... dealer asked me not to go on my 4 day trip as a precaution...... something about a batch of parts that may cause an issue..... luckily for me my 4day 1500km trip had been deferred by Floods and now cancelled by Pestilence! ......So I haven't missed anything :D.

1st of model blue's, but it'll be worth it once the recall's are sorted.

(y)

·
Registered
05 Duc 999R, 15 KTM Super Adventure
43 Posts
thanks mate! Good luck w and wishing you many miles of good fun in the v4!

I hope the new KTM GT has the new tank design!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Aha, so it's a world-wide thing......I had a phone call about mine...... dealer asked me not to go on my 4 day trip as a precaution...... something about a batch of parts that may cause an issue..... luckily for me my 4day 1500km trip had been deferred by Floods and now cancelled by Pestilence! ......So I haven't missed anything :D.

1st of model blue's, but it'll be worth it once the recall's are sorted.

(y)
It sounds like it's a valve guide issue. It would seem replacing the heads would solve that problem, but apparently Ducati is replacing the entire engine instead. I suppose that's the right thing to do and I would appreciate it if had bought one.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hopefully once the dust settles from the RR launch, KTM will move to announce the new GT.
I'm thinking :eek: KTM have realized that radar CC and rear BSA are the new normal already (they fitted radar CC to the 21 model 1290 SAS for 2021) so they might have pulled the release for the upframed gen 3 GT and sent it back to the engineers to get the radars fitted. I'm not sure the SAS's three tank system is what the GT wants (might look to fat maybe?) but it has the benefit of easy access to the airfilter without removing the tank......... :unsure:.... a 1290 SAS with 17" wheels and big tyres and that gen 3 SDR frame could be the new GT....... so long as that errr, butt ugly SAS headlight isn't used for the GT ;).

We shall see as the year grinds onwards...... ;)

PS Warning, non KTM content, cover eyes or look away....... I picked up my new /new again V4S MS (again) yesterday and survived the ride home in peak hour workers traffic...... I then realized that the radar CC was actually a valuable rider aid as I fiddled with settings confident in the knowledge that it would slow me down if anything changed ahead (how many times have we all done this on the move?) and give me time to react if I needed to stop or swerve. It really is a good thing to have, and that is coming from someone who enjoyed +/- adjusting the older style CC and who also thought it may have been just another fancy toy to brag about :D.

Reactions: frqflyr

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm thinking :eek: KTM have realized that radar CC and rear BSA are the new normal already (they fitted radar CC to the 21 model 1290 SAS for 2021) so they might have pulled the release for the upframed gen 3 GT and sent it back to the engineers to get the radars fitted. I'm not sure the SAS's three tank system is what the GT wants (might look to fat maybe?) but it has the benefit of easy access to the airfilter without removing the tank......... :unsure:.... a 1290 SAS with 17" wheels and big tyres and that gen 3 SDR frame could be the new GT....... so long as that errr, butt ugly SAS headlight isn't used for the GT ;).

We shall see as the year grinds onwards...... ;)

PS Warning, non KTM content, cover eyes or look away....... I picked up my new /new again V4S MS (again) yesterday and survived the ride home in peak hour workers traffic...... I then realized that the radar CC was actually a valuable rider aid as I fiddled with settings confident in the knowledge that it would slow me down if anything changed ahead (how many times have we all done this on the move?) and give me time to react if I needed to stop or swerve. It really is a good thing to have, and that is coming from someone who enjoyed +/- adjusting the older style CC and who also thought it may have been just another fancy toy to brag about :D.
The new SD R seems like a significant step forward, so the idea of having all of that plus a little more room/comfort and hard panniers (SD GT) is very appealing to me. Maybe a new Super Adventure with 17"/17" and a 190 out back gets you to the the same place?

When you say new/new again for your V4 Multi, does that mean you've had your engine swapped?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
:LOL::LOL:........ it's code for I've been very well taken care of thankyou (y)......... instead of making me wait until the new engine arrived at the end of April, they offered to swap my bike - ride in, sign papers, ride away (I've only ridden the thing on the 3 days prior to the 22nd March, then parked it due a major flooding event, followed by a pestilence outbreak & lock down, followed by more wet weather). That bike will get it's engine swap and the dealership will retain it as the demo it was originally intended to be until I said I wanted to buy it :D. So it's a win win for all.

I think Ducati Aus has a great attitude and they are very invested in the success of this model. I suspect the issue has cost gazillions behind the scenes.... but (y) for the valve guide manufacturer who spotted the problem early and notified the factory so they could contact trace affected owners. They did the right thing by notifying the factory asap.

I spoke briefly to the dealership's owner while there on another matter (that's Tony for those locals that know him), and he was also impressed with the outcome from a dealership-factory perspective. He had many years of dealing with previous importers of Ducati and had not seen a proactive positive response like this before. He also said that KTM Aus was by far the best he had dealt with till now........ (y)

I am super happy with the outcome, and because so few V4S MS have been registered in Aus they were able to do this swap from existing unaffected stocks (y)

Now I have a bike to run in all over again.... looks just like the other one :ROFLMAO:.... lets see, tomorrow is forecast sunny and fine....... :devilish:

Reactions: DaveNZ

·
Registered
51 Posts
:LOL::LOL:........ it's code for I've been very well taken care of thankyou (y)......... instead of making me wait until the new engine arrived at the end of April, they offered to swap my bike - ride in, sign papers, ride away (I've only ridden the thing on the 3 days prior to the 22nd March, then parked it due a major flooding event, followed by a pestilence outbreak & lock down, followed by more wet weather). That bike will get it's engine swap and the dealership will retain it as the demo it was originally intended to be until I said I wanted to buy it :D. So it's a win win for all.

I think Ducati Aus has a great attitude and they are very invested in the success of this model. I suspect the issue has cost gazillions behind the scenes.... but (y) for the valve guide manufacturer who spotted the problem early and notified the factory so they could contact trace affected owners. They did the right thing by notifying the factory asap.

I spoke briefly to the dealership's owner while there on another matter (that's Tony for those locals that know him), and he was also impressed with the outcome from a dealership-factory perspective. He had many years of dealing with previous importers of Ducati and had not seen a proactive positive response like this before. He also said that KTM Aus was by far the best he had dealt with till now........ (y)

I am super happy with the outcome, and because so few V4S MS have been registered in Aus they were able to do this swap from existing unaffected stocks (y)

Now I have a bike to run in all over again.... looks just like the other one :ROFLMAO:.... lets see, tomorrow is forecast sunny and fine....... :devilish:
Congrats on the great outcome. You can now enjoy your new bike with no worries...and the throttle pinned. 😎

·
Registered
63 Posts

Sad that you were one of "those guys" needing a new motor under recall, but really congrats for the awesome service from both the manufacturer and the dealer. I am positively giddy that small and very cool, capable of KTM service Husqvarna dealer that is 11 miles away...will be opening a new, twice as large KTM/Husqvarna dealer... that is 9 miles from my house. They must have measured the footprint requirements to the mm to keep from infringing on the area of the 3 current KTM dealers...and with the baggage those other places are carrying around...the new dealer should kill it...and I hope to buy their first Gen 3 GT from them

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yep, heard another whisper the new GT is likely to get the radar that KTM put on the 21 model SAS (or buyers might walk)........ time will tell ;).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep, heard another whisper the new GT is likely to get the radar that KTM put on the 21 model SAS (or buyers might walk)........ time will tell ;).
Does your "whisperer" have any idea when the new model will be shown to the public?

The inclusion or exclusion of radar means little to me. 95+% of the time I ride I would have little use for either adaptive cruise control or the blind spot indicator. Cruise control, whether old fashioned or adaptive, makes sense on extended highway rides and I avoid those as much as possible. The blind spot sensor might be useful, but I don't ride in heavy traffic very often, so that too would have little benefit.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
No, all are just rumors until KTM releases the model to the press. It's a tight ship, no leaks :D:D

Reactions: potomacduc
101 - 117 of 117 Posts