KTM Forums banner

2021 SDGT Spied

31K views 155 replies 33 participants last post by  frqflyr 
#1 ·
Anyone see this article. We can all speculate that the 2021 SDGT will have a few things carry over from the 2020 SDR but please not the 5" screen ?‍♂.

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, I read a report in our local 'Aus M/C News' magazine where they stated the trellis rear frame is there to handle the extra load rating for luggage and passenger. Certainly a surprise to have a 'new' model so soon after the 2019 update, but that must be the new normal now..... or it's a sign of just how tight the competition is between the manufacturer's......

I think Ducati started something by plonking their V4 Superleggo motor into their 21 Multistrada....... Yet to see if the plague will delay any of these planned new model releases.......

:unsure:

PS That's an enormous radiator on the spy shot.......

#3 ·
I wonder if the Ducati V4 Multistrada for 2021 has had a big impact on the 21Gt's development?

Is KTM HQ in shutdown...... my local bike mag has reported that many factories are shutting down..... :unsure:

#10 ·
Yes that is the new Enduro model...... so stay tuned for a new S touring or Pikes Peak version once the factory re-opens after the Corona plague has ended ;).......

#12 ·
:ROFLMAO:........ only $30k....... oh, you're USD....... prob right...... the MS1260ST is around $36k on road in Aus so the V4 will be more......

(y)

#15 ·
:LOL:....... You know how Ducati thinks........ performance at all costs........ and 'cost' it will........ but just maybe they had to go to a V4 to meet Euro5 or 6,7,8,9 in the future?

We are our own worst enemy, always wanting more Hp even though we already have plenty now. But as usual, once the Prima Donna flagship becomes real (hey, maybe it was an April 1st fools day hoax...... o_O in my bike mag?) ........ lets just hope the weight and fuel consumption and sheer size of the bike doesn't become a big negative (or the $40k Au presumed price tag:eek:).

(y)

#17 ·
Amazing how much they do to disguise a prototype..... removed body work makes the tail look like a 19SDR, no front guard, no side rad panels etc etc......

I'm guessing it'll be a late 21 appearance or early 22 given the current business restrictions and probable slow economic recovery/recession...... :unsure:.

:eek: Mate of mine just Emailed me - one of our top Aussie bike magazines has just now succumbed to the downturn (Motorcycle Trader), and has closed their doors.......

:(

#19 ·
Crazy to think that the SDGT would be in its 3rd iteration already. I had a feeling that it wouldn't last 3 years. Here in the US, I've maybe seen 3 or 4 out in the wild since I bought mine in 2017. I've need many more SDRs in comparison. But here we are with an alleged redesigned SDGT for 2021. I'm interested to see just how much more they can make the SDGT better. My 2016 is probably the best bike I've owned. I haven't ridden the 2019s yet, but I've read they made a phenomenal bike better somehow. I still prefer the front end of the 16-18s. The 19s and up look like murder hornets.

#20 · (Edited)
Same great bike...... just had to adopt the Euro 5 engine (thus the frame) used on the 20 SDR to stay within the emissions regs. I really like the new wheels..... way easier to clean!

I think the US sales story was almost a disaster by default..... the European story was different .... but it all seems to have settled down now and the importers and dealers seem to have lifted their game....... It's also a premium price, high performance thing, not suited to the mass market or straight roads buyer so I think it will always struggle in the US where the tourer's go for FJR1300's or Concourse 1400's etc...... but we have lots of tight twisty roads close to our cities so it's a winner here in Aus :D.

We can all speculate that the 2021 SDGT will have a few things carry over from the 2020 SDR but please not the 5" screen ?‍♂.

I've just seen this pic of the 2020 SDR Dash and I gotta ask, 'what's not to like about this?'........ It's light years better than my 17GT's old style/hard to read dash.

#21 ·
I have not ridden my SDGT for about a year because life got in the way. I finally got the bike back up this weekend after replacing the battery, bleeding the brakes, and changing the oil. Zero issues after sitting in a garage for a year. And getting back on The Beast with a backpack just reminds me how truly special the SDGT is. I’m still getting my motorcycle legs back but riding it around town this weekend brought back memories of exactly why I fell in love with the SDGT after a test ride. And subsequently traded my RSV4 for it that day.

I hope KTM keeps the SDGT formula for the 3rd generation.

#23 ·
I hope the gen 3 makes it to the US. Then again, if the 690 Enduro R and SMC R is being sold here right now(not exactly big sellers). I imagine the next gen SDGT will make its way here too.

The hard part would be deciding whether to keep my paid off 16 SDGT or trade it in for the new one...

#25 ·
I'm just hoping they keep that huge foam block he seams to be sitting on, instead of putting the usual trash seat on it. Having been forced onto a multistrada loan bike during lock down (my SDGTs rear shock blew 2 days before) then hopping back on mine Saterday. Wow, contrasts. The MS is a wafty cushion you can chuck about at pace ... the GT is a vibey rocketship upholstered in wood.

... but so is my RC8R and the rear linkage in that makes it handle better off corners. I could argue it's as comfy as well (with an airhawk on :giggle: ) even without any expensive electrickery.

#26 ·
Aaah yes, the MS Duke-cati's...... I've ridden a selection - 2010 1200S, 2013 1200 PP, 2013 1200S Ohlins, and a 2016 1200S...... all very different...... The Pikes Peak with it's electrickery and Sach's suspension was taught and sporty, I liked it a lot. The 2013 S pack with Ohlins had a nice soft, level seat and was the pick of the bunch for comfort, but it had NO cruise control... Sadly, the 2016 (with only 7k kms when I rode it), was disappointing - rock hard seat, top heavy feel (with <half fuel), cluttered TFT dash (very small digits) and the same noisy screen as the rest. I kept sliding forward on the seat and was very happy to hand it back to the owner.

I liked them, but I think my KTM is way better, except for the seat ;).

I haven't had the pleasure of the latest gen MS1260. Maybe D-cati has made many changes, but they are still like a big MX style bike, with really wide bars and a huge wheelbase...... don't tell my Ducati road riding mates I said that :giggle:.

I forgot KTM fitted a wider softer seat to the 2020 SDR ..... I'd say the 2021GT will be the plush one of the family as it will be the 20 SDR with a big tank and screen ....... just what sports tourer's want ;)... power, range, comfort, handling & lightweight with great brakes.....(y).

PS I'm sure it will find it's way to the USA...... just be prepared for delays caused by the pandemic in Europe. Factories have been closed or working at reduced capacity.. shipping & air transport have been disrupted... Nobody knows how long the tail of the CV19 virus will keep wagging before it allows some sort of normality back into world economies and there is always the chance of a prolonged 2nd wave, with more shutdown's, if countries don't manage the current pandemic effectively.

#27 ·
I concur with your views on the MS. Ive tested most from the outset, with the longest stint being 2000+ mls round Yosemite/Lassen/Lost coast/Avn Giants on a 2015 model : Yes long, soft but still rapid (skyhook makes the sponginess regulated), high wide bars (that give me shoulder ache), smooth as butter engine. The Ducati is unexpectedly quick but no headrush. It is the RangeRover Sport to KTMs AMG E63S .

However as a package to live with, the MS is better. I agree that the TFT dash although pretty is overly cluttered and difficult to read, however most other things are better on the Duke;

The Panniers are bigger and better, its got a soft seat, rubberized footpegs (like a SDR990 :unsure:). The ability to configure the modes for your tastes rather than being given set options. A cruise control that just works ( its constant, resumes smoothly and cuts out smoothly, whereas the cruise control on the GT still cant deal with its own torque or engine braking and lurches somewhere around the speed you asked for ... eventually). Better positioned switchgear (a definate change coming there I think for 2021)

In 2016 the GT's cornering lights, active suspension, cruise control, driver modes, etc were nice items. Now they are all de-facto items they also need to work well. Ive now had the GT Suspension upgrade and its light and day better than Gen-1, but the rear still gets confused by mid corner bumps on the power. The front compression is still wayward enough to trigger the ABS on a large enough ripple. I couldnt tell the ducati(s) didnt have standard damped suspension.

If the SDGT wants to leap forward. It needs to become more refined and perhaps more intelligent; If I give the bike a handful why doesnt it jump into sport mode for me ? If im at a constant speed upright why do I need to go and hunt for comfort.

#28 ·
So just for fun on a rainy (at looong last (y)) afternoon, I have been reading about the Duck-atty V4 Multistrada engine...... not that I'm even thinking of changing my SDGT...... just keeping up to date with the news.

Big surprise...... Desmo valve gear has been dropped in favour of conventional valve springs, ( cheaper to produce and twice the service interval (60k kms) over Desmo systems). The V4 is almost 9 cm shorter F-R and almost 10cm shorter T-Bottom, yet only 2cm wider than the 1260 Testy engine. It is also 1.5kg lighter than the 1260 mill.

The back two cyls switch off at idle to save cooking the riders legs at traffic lights (maybe it might save some fuel or emissions but the primary reason was rider comfort). It has 125Kw of peak power and slightly less torque than the 1260 V2. Both the MS V4 in 1159cc guise and the V2 MS1260 will be on the model line-up for the next coupe of years.

Just imagine what was said in the boardroom to convince the big chief to drop the Desmo from 'D'ewkatti ....... :LOL:

We live in interesting times :D

#33 ·
I don't think the 2021 has been appearing and disappearing from the website...I think it may be more which flavor of the website is being viewed.

On the KTM website you can see the 2021 GT on the "international" portion of the site. You can get the international side in English and it looks very close to US specific side of site. And, as said elsewhere, the 2021 is a carry-over of the 2019-20 version.

On the US side of the site, there is no "Sports Tourer" model section nor the 2021 GT. I suspect that it is not yet fully approved for sale in US?

International versus US side of site can be seen/selected by an icon in the upper left next to KTM logo. And, if you try to go directly to ktmusa.com...that will redirect you to ktm.com and the US location selection.

#34 ·
Hi all,

The 2021 (gen3) SDGT hasn't been released so it can't be on the KTM website yet...... test mules were spotted being ridden by Jeremy McWilliams way back in March 2020 (see pic below) and while disguised so that we can't recognize them :ROFLMAO: the pic clearly shows a gen3 SDR base with the SDGT platform on top........

I think the USA dealers advertising 2021 GT's are actually selling gen 2 stock manufactured in FY20.

Maybe KTM US has had a website issue........ orrrrrrr, ;) maybe stock of the gen 3 is close to arriving and the site is being updated (how's that for a baseless rumour?).......:LOL:.

Anyway's, keep your powder dry, it's coming (it's the KTM way - to release a new gen3 SDR then put clothes on it and call it an SDGT).

(y) PS The SDGT is a direct competitor to the new $40k Au Ducati V4S Multistrada, so no way would KTM step back from that fight ;)...... current covid shutdowns in Austria may cause some delays.........

Attachments

Reactions: frqflyr
#35 ·
I'm guessing that the Gen3 we're waiting on has been pushed out to 2022 due to Covid.

Here's a couple of screen caps of the 2021 SDGT from the KTM International website, first showing the "International" indication, second is a scrolling down to the 2021 SDGT:

And here's what you see when you select KTM USA; the whole Sport Touring group is missing and SDGT is nowhere to be found:

Maybe non-US markets are selling "left over" Gen2's as 2021 models; US market is getting "nothing" for now. Then, KTM is going to release Gen3 in 2021 as a 2022 model...and the US will get that then???

Or...maybe just the websites are jacked :)

-Stic

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.