KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post as i just returned to offroading after layoff of several years..
Hope this is the correct forum for posting 500 excf info and questions..
I picked up new 2022 bike from dealer in Western Pa. and bars and mirrors were damaged (Scratched from switch gear tit and missing rubber grommet on one t/s stalk).
During prep of bike to add rim locks, safety , loctite, ck fluids, torques etc i found many things that really pissed me off that this bike was delivered like this..Called KTM USA but they really did not care, "everything has to go through dealer."..The dealer that delivered the poorly assembled bike to me!! they just passed it on as being the offsite assemblers problem and not accepting that they are ultimately responsible for final set up for delivery.
Most but not all issues ;
No lock washers on battery terminals,left foot peg clevis pin in backwards causing it to gouge side stand.
Gas tank bolt and grommet laying in tank mounting bore recess(yes not installed, just hanging out there).
Headlight electrics a mess behind headlight mask, nothing in proper locations, relay just dangling, ground wire flattened (looks like they pulled it out of insulator and flattened it, i have suspicions why but it does not matter.
Front fender and headlight beam adjuster bolts not tight. Bolts on side radiator shrouds overtightened and hardware seemed incorrect(no shouldered washers used).
Any similiar experiences?

Next I'll post set up and inexpesive mods i have done..
Joe

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune. Not the first time I heard/saw your complaint. My best advice to dirt bike buyers is buy from a dirt bike shop. I have been around motorcycles and the folks that service and ride them and your story is not a new one. Your new dirt bike preparation is usually assigned to a low skill/low pay shop flunkie who may or may not give a $hit if he did a proper job or not. The selling dealer doesn't really give a $hit either because he would rather spend time installing $4000.00 worth of accessories on a high end touring bike than piss around with your lower profit $10-$12000.00 motorcycle purchase. Don't take it personal. Go back and bitch to the dealer. Write an honest review and warn other potential customers of your poor experience. Demand your bikes preparation charges be refunded. Your single bike purchase is just another customer and another sale for them, but to us consumers it's a huge investment and we expect competent service when we pay for it. It's only fair we expect to recieve it. Your dealer should be expected to deliver or apologize and refund your prep fees. Or you should bitch and complain to every person who answers the phone at the dealership and KTMs customer service. Good luck

Reactions: IDTrav and Axzon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Augie,
Since i owned my own motorcycle shop and did repairs, custom fab and machine work and have been riding ,racing since 1973 i know a little more than they think. I would be ashamed to give someone the machine they delivered to me.
But I know the people that they depend on to assemble them are entry level, but i would expect a dealer to look a little closer as these issues can be life ending and litigated so a dealer would have to shut his doors...battery cable comes off and lights, engine die in traffic...gas tank cracks and starts a fire due to incorrect mounting, etc...
I understand the problem but for KTM USA not to even care is shameful..

Joe

·
Super Moderator
925 Posts
Demand your bikes preparation charges be refunded.
This.

I would love to see the look on the manager's face when you bring the bike back and show them how YOU did a proper PDI on the bike (just read your other thread, wow).

Aside from everything else Auggie stated, he's not wrong. KTM makes a fantastic product but once it leave the factory we are at the mercy of the dealer we choose to purchase it from. Hell, my 2021 I bought had the power valve come apart at 4 hours... wtf and how does that even happen. Cluster of wires was a dog's breakfast, headlight position came loose as you mentioned as well and couldn't even top up my oil reservoir (TPI) as I had the oil light come on not even 10 mins into the first ride of its maiden voyage!

·
Registered
151 Posts
ja55b33,

My experience with KTM not caring is similar. My 2016 Duke 690 bought new had a malfunctioning decompressor. Not an unknown problem on the forums, but according to KTM USA, something that they had no record of ever happening! They refused to share any information, and after calling several KTM shops around the country who reported having this problem, the service managers all said the same thing "KTM as a company does not share product quality information even with the dealers. It is like talking to the wall!"

The dealer said there was no problem with my bike, and in hindsight I should have said "Lets take it back to the shop and measure the voltage drop while starting" before ever taking delivery of the bike. 7 volt drop during starting! Only after the starter fried itself, did they offer to fix the issue. And this was a demo bike with 200 miles! They had many opportunities to witness the hard starting.

On the plus side, after being caught being incompetent, they comped me the KTM aftermarket replacement seats.

Great bikes. Apathetic customer service from KTM USA and some dealers is my experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my 4th new ktm and never had a problem...most problems due to assembler at warehouse and lack of any knowledge at cannonsburg dealer on set up...i grew up riding Japanese bikes and hard to beat them both on and off road. Last two bikes i owned (same time) wr450f and xr650r were bullet proof and ran great so i hope this machine is as good...
ja55b33,

My experience with KTM not caring is similar. My 2016 Duke 690 bought new had a malfunctioning decompressor. Not an unknown problem on the forums, but according to KTM USA, something that they had no record of ever happening! They refused to share any information, and after calling several KTM shops around the country who reported having this problem, the service managers all said the same thing "KTM as a company does not share product quality information even with the dealers. It is like talking to the wall!"

The dealer said there was no problem with my bike, and in hindsight I should have said "Lets take it back to the shop and measure the voltage drop while starting" before ever taking delivery of the bike. 7 volt drop during starting! Only after the starter fried itself, did they offer to fix the issue. And this was a demo bike with 200 miles! They had many opportunities to witness the hard starting.

On the plus side, after being caught being incompetent, they comped me the KTM aftermarket replacement seats.
KTM builds a great bike then some inexperienced kid assembles it
Great bikes. Apathetic customer service from KTM USA and some dealers is my experience.
Hi Sir real Ed..
It is so easy to do things correctly that i am blown away that factory KTM would allow it!
So KTM factory builds this great bike but allows inexperienced kids assemble it and a dealer who doesn't know much deliver it! I would think they would want to know where a problem exists to correct! I will never understand this mentality...
Joe

·
Registered
151 Posts
Joe,

I could not agree more. It is not like they are hiding defects from potential customers, WE HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT THER PRODUCT!!!!!!!

I understand that sales people often lie to make sales, but lying and withholding useful information from both your current customers, and the dealers that are servicing your product is just plain stupid. IMO, it is a giant FU to someone who owns your product.

I'm in my early 60's and have owned over 50 motorcycles in my life. It will be very difficult, if not impossible to get me to purchase a new KTM for the rest of my riding life.

The other curious aspect of KTM is, if you look at how many people are on the ktmforum.com at any time, it is hard to believe that KTM or KTMUSA are not paying someone in their Customer Service Dept to monitor the forums on a daily basis.

I would think it would be a huge sales booster to have a KTM rep offering advice and guidance on these forums. Or for that matter for KTM to host a Tech Advice forum on their own websites.

I did send a letter to KTMUSA Service Department outlining my experience. There never was any reply. One of their service reps was a great guy, but he admitted that he was powerless. Jokingly, he admitted to riding a Ducati. I told him I understand completely!!!

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
See previous post. Dealer doesn't give a $hit and KTM doesn't give a $hit! They have your money already! They consider the sales lost due to their poor customer relations acceptable and continue to advertise to entice new buyers to purchase their products. As long as the new customer sales level is generating acceptable profits for the corporate whores, everyone is happy. If they piss off a few consumers along the way its simply too damn bad for them(us)
I would agree the best method would be to spend my money purchasing from a more ethical business but some or most modern businesses operate similarly.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
There is a silver lining to all this... we are slowly going back to the old times where the bike owner needed to know his/her bike and be handy with tools. (I will show my age now, but those were the days I started with motorbikes). I have never purchased a brand new bike, and even if I had, I would still do all the repairs/work on my (and my boys) bikes. To allow someone else to dig in to my/our bikes just seems silly to me. (The only thing I do not do is rebuild cranks as I do not have the tools for that). I have a need to know what is going wrong in a bike and to fix it. Yes, I have made mistakes. I was 16 and had a, to me, new 1962 Royal Enfield 500 Twin Meteor Minior Sport where one of the valve spring collars cracked (made of alloy). I could not find a new one quickly (as I was to do a longer ride in a couple of days) so I asked an engineer to make me one. He did not have any alloy, but had some brass, so he made the collar of that. Initially all was well, but after approx 300Km's the two spring keepers went through the new brass collar (I learnt that brass was too soft a material for this job...) and dropped the valve in to the piston... It was a long way back home being pulled by a fellow motorbike rider...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a silver lining to all this... we are slowly going back to the old times where the bike owner needed to know his/her bike and be handy with tools. (I will show my age now, but those were the days I started with motorbikes). I have never purchased a brand new bike, and even if I had, I would still do all the repairs/work on my (and my boys) bikes. To allow someone else to dig in to my/our bikes just seems silly to me. (The only thing I do not do is rebuild cranks as I do not have the tools for that). I have a need to know what is going wrong in a bike and to fix it. Yes, I have made mistakes. I was 16 and had a, to me, new 1962 Royal Enfield 500 Twin Meteor Minior Sport where one of the valve spring collars cracked (made of alloy). I could not find a new one quickly (as I was to do a longer ride in a couple of days) so I asked an engineer to make me one. He did not have any alloy, but had some brass, so he made the collar of that. Initially all was well, but after approx 300Km's the two spring keepers went through the new brass collar (I learnt that brass was too soft a material for this job...) and dropped the valve in to the piston... It was a long way back home being pulled by a fellow motorbike rider...
Axzon,
That is my philosophy don't let anyone do any work but when buying a new bike you don't have much of a choice....good thing is i took care of all the issues the RIGHT way and even did up grades KTM thought were not needed. Like you i'M older 65yrs old and owned operated a vintage motorcycle repair and fab shop so i did everything except plating and powdercoating. My other full time job was an A&P aircraft mechanic for NWA airlines so shop work is fun and i am only limited by what equipment I sold off..
I still have several vintage machines and enjoy wrenching more than riding these days....
I'm hoping the KTM and finding trails changes that some... have a good one Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts