KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all - wish I had a more positive first post to make, but I wanted to have a spot to share my experience(s) dealing with KTM regarding a recent engine failure on my '22 SuperDuke R EVO that I bought in May, now with 2100 miles on it.

While commuting by highway to work on 9/14, I felt a small surge and loss of power, looked down and "Low engine oil level" warning was on the display.
Immediately hit the kill switch, pulled in clutch and managed to play Frogger successfully to get to a spot to pull over. Walked bike to nearest gas station and inspected engine, found zero indication of oil leaks anywhere, nor any holes that shouldn't be there. Checked the oil level on sight glass and it was below the sight glass, I had to tip the bike over toward me in order to see anything come up on glass. This should have been my first indication something was seriously wrong, since I just checked the oil level this morning before departing for work, as I usually do. That was 25 miles ago...

In an attempt to rectify the low oil level and get the bike back home to investigate further, I got the right oil and ended up adding 1.75 quarts before it was back at right level on sight glass. Decided to very cautiously attempt to start bike again, and was immediately greeted with a seriously bad engine knocking sound. Shut down bike after 3-5 seconds and got a trailer ride to nearest KTM dealer/service shop where it currently sits. After hearing the sounds that motor made, there is no doubt in my mind that some serious damage has been done.

After some research, I found this post in which the OP seems to have experienced the exact same symptoms. I will be curious to see how this is resolved, but I can't hide the fact that I am beyond disappointed that a practically brand new bike primarily used for commuting to work with the occasional spirited weekend ride, ends up letting me down this badly after 2100 miles... So far I've informed KTM corporate via certified mail and phone, and the dealer is yet to report back any findings, not sure if they have had time to tear into it yet.
The first service at 660 miles was completed by the dealer it's currently parked at, and I've checked the engine oil level regularly since then, and it never moved a fraction from what I could tell.

Anyone else have experience dealing with warranty claims from KTM? Any similar cases out there?

Update 1 (9/17/22): Dealer texted me and said they found brass debris in oil. Needed permission to continue teardown to which I agreed. Also said they are in comms with KTM with updates. Asked for pics of debris + oil screens / filter.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Arr, so gutted for you. But it happens, the one in 10,000 engines that have something fail. The 1290 engine is in a rage of models and has proven to be a strong robust engine. I hope they get it sorted fast for you. A new engine i should think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arr, so gutted for you. But it happens, the one in 10,000 engines that have something fail. The 1290 engine is in a rage of models and has proven to be a strong robust engine. I hope they get it sorted fast for you. A new engine i should think.
Thanks Dave. I justified the venture into KTM by telling myself that the 1290 engine has had lots of time in the market and is featured in so many models today with very minimal major warranty issues from what I could find. Sure there are other quirks on the 1290 series, but nothing that seemed like a major issue that either I or a dealer couldn't fix.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
My question would be; Where did the oil disappear to? To burn almost 2 quarts in 25 miles would have produced a huge cloud of smoke and oil loss would be visible somewhere on the machine. Just because something lets loose inside does not explain the oil loss, which possibly led to the carnage in the first place.

·
Registered
2020 SDR
107 Posts
I wonder where the oil went also, very strange. I had my low oil level come on last week. I checked it and it was only just slightly under the low line, so it makes me think this dummy light comes on right away as anything lower than recommended is signaled. Makes me think you lost oil immediately.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My question would be; Where did the oil disappear to? To burn almost 2 quarts in 25 miles would have produced a huge cloud of smoke and oil loss would be visible somewhere on the machine. Just because something lets loose inside does not explain the oil loss, which possibly led to the carnage in the first place.
I'm guessing he burnt it off out the pipe without noticing or seeing. Not sure id see 1-2 quarts burn off in that time looking rearward in a mirror with quick glances. Further I'm betting the oil got into the combustion chamber past the now-busted valve guide(s) and that is what they are seeing in the filters (not truly brass). Would explain the noise too. All speculation on my part

·
Full Throttle
2008 RC8 / 2007 690
7,269 Posts
venture into KTM by telling myself that the 1290 engine has had lots of time in the market and is featured in so many models today
The same motor started life in 2008 rc8.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could the oil that's missing out of the catch tank, be in the motor it's self ? Over full crank case would cause much damage , and you wouldn't see a leak because the oil is still in the engine.......just not in the right place ?.
This is exactly the thinking that the OP in the other thread I linked had. He suspected that the oil was blocked from returning to the oil tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stopped by the workshop today to check out the bike. Also received call from KTM saying they will totally tear down engine (split) and once they receive a full report from the service center they will work from there on options. Ryan who I spoke with was very empathetic on the phone and seemed to understand my frustration that something so serious happened so early on, and that I would be very concerned about basically a complete engine rebuild at 2100 miles, as opposed to a factory engine swap or full bike replacement at the other extreme.

No “smoking gun” yet as to root cause, but the connecting rod of the forward cylinder has quite a lot of play, which explains the knock I heard and the brass debris found in the oil. Dealer is waiting on a tool from KTM to complete the engine tear down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So how about the oil ? was it all there(but just in the wrong place) or did it get burned off and ran out ?
No further info on that - I don’t believe they measured the oil when they drained it. So that mystery remains open. They did say they briefly started the bike after I dropped it off, and it poured white smoke out the exhaust (which I never saw at all when riding or after starting bike for 3-5 seconds)

·
Registered
953 Posts
It's gotta be a discomforting feeling looking at your new $$$ bike with its guts ripped out. Finger crossed they give you a new motor but if it is done well a rebuild on a new bike should give you a long service life. New parts are new parts especially since the bike will be built by one tech instead of an assembly line. I think it's kind of like how guys that work by the hour build smoother roads. They take their time and they do it right. In this case because they don't want to see you come back with a broken motor that they personally built. Techs aren't in the business of making you come back. and their bosses don't like it either. If they do want to rebuild it I would approach KTM about extending the warranty.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Im not sure what consumer protection laws are like where you are, but that looks like a major fault which would normally justify a complete replacement or full refund. I would never accept a rebuild on a new bike. But where I am consumer laws are pretty strict so I don't know how far you can legally push it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im not sure what consumer protection laws are like where you are, but that looks like a major fault which would normally justify a complete replacement or full refund. I would never accept a rebuild on a new bike. But where I am consumer laws are pretty strict so I don't know how far you can legally push it.
Yep, I am personally not comfortable with a rebuild on such a new bike, even though I have nothing but confidence in the shop that is working on it. My gut feeling tells me to push for a buyback and take the money and RUN, but I really don't know what else I'd buy if not a 1290. Such a fantastic bike when it ran.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts