KTM Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about selling my SDR and GSXR, and with bank cheque in hand, buying either a Panigale V4S or a Streetfighter V4s (and I know only too well the hassles they'll most likely give me)
I rode a V4S Street Fighter last Sunday, and theres no way id have one over the 1290. Mates one had a full Acra system and up map, fuk it was loud, horrible up until 7000 revs where you left the sound behind. The engine felt flat until 6500-7000 revs, then if went like a cut cat. Unbelievable power above 8000revs, but you had to stay above 6500 to have any power there. A busy and draining bike to ride, but be great on the track for track days. He usually gets 140kms to fuel light, and i can see why when it needs 6500 revs to make any power. Im so glad i did the 90kms to the bar on it, as ive lusted after one on its sheer good looks, but NO, id never have one, no gas gage no cruise control and $9000 dearer in NZ over the 1290. Oh also my mate really liked the instant grind of the 1290, said "no wonder you like these engines"

·
Registered
435 Posts
Looking forwards to test riding both models soon. I prefer peaky power and high revs, which is why I prefer the GSXR over the SDR. I love the grunt of the KTM, I do, but relish the revs and power of the Suzuki. If the Ducati's terrify me I'll buy one.

·
Registered
18 SDR
2,315 Posts
I rode a V4S Street Fighter last Sunday, and theres no way id have one over the 1290. Mates one had a full Acra system and up map, fuk it was loud, horrible up until 7000 revs where you left the sound behind. The engine felt flat until 6500-7000 revs, then if went like a cut cat. Unbelievable power above 8000revs, but you had to stay above 6500 to have any power there. A busy and draining bike to ride, but be great on the track for track days. He usually gets 140kms to fuel light, and i can see why when it needs 6500 revs to make any power. Im so glad i did the 90kms to the bar on it, as ive lusted after one on its sheer good looks, but NO, id never have one, no gas gage no cruise control and $9000 dearer in NZ over the 1290. Oh also my mate really liked the instant grind of the 1290, said "no wonder you like these engines" View attachment 110188
Agreed…..this torque comparison shows how special the 1290 motor in the SDR is…..

·
Registered
18 SDR
2,315 Posts
Yep, I am personally not comfortable with a rebuild on such a new bike, even though I have nothing but confidence in the shop that is working on it. My gut feeling tells me to push for a buyback and take the money and RUN, but I really don't know what else I'd buy if not a 1290. Such a fantastic bike when it ran.
I’ve been following this thread and feel for you - terrible the engine blowing up at such low mileage..

Would be great if they gave you your money back or a new bike - at minimum I would insist on a new crate engine. I wouldn’t trust or accept any dealer rebuilding the motor - ask how many 1290s they have done successfully? I’ll bet yours is the first one….are they giving you a loaner bike in the meantime?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Agreed…..this torque comparison shows how special the 1290 motor in the SDR is…..
Nothing special about it, it's a 1300 twin, so it'll have stomp pulling torque, but look how soon it dies compared to the others. Low revving, high torque, big twin. I've got the benefit of riding my SDR and Gixxer back to back, so I guess I can talk about both from experience rather than attempt to interpret colours from yet another torque comparo. I always prefer the torque from the SDR around the streets, but out on the open roads my gixxer feels much faster overall. Tall gearing and high revs are addictive! Can't wait to compare these to my upcoming test ride on the V4. Now's a good time to sell too, SDR's are fetching almost as much second hand as they were new where I am (shortages of stock or something). Ah, sun's come out! Now, which bike shall I take out for a good hiding...?

As for the OP, I too hope you get a damn good outcome man.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Looking forwards to test riding both models soon. I prefer peaky power and high revs, which is why I prefer the GSXR over the SDR. I love the grunt of the KTM, I do, but relish the revs and power of the Suzuki. If the Ducati's terrify me I'll buy one.
My mate also has a 1299 Panigale, he thought the 1290 had a much stronger bottom end compared to it. But if you like reving power then you will love the Ducati V4, its insane above 8000 revs, i never took it over 10K, as its not mine, and at 200kph plus, the cops don't see the funny side of that. It has an amazing engine, just not under 6K. fuel milage might be an issue also. Mate has a few Ducati's but his most favourite to ride is his 950S Multi, like me, we love those bikes and do lots of back road rides. We recently did a track day together, (we do about 4-6 a year together) and he said he couldn't get near me on the tighter infield, but caught me at the end of each straight, taking 6 laps to finally get me.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread, and i really hope you get a new motor....... But to Nosurrenda, i did track days with both these bikes on my 790, but got mowed down on the straights and watched them disappear, so upped the anti and got the 1290, now they really have to work to get near me, and pass. Good fun on the 1290, but it brakes the rear tire loose if im not careful.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The streetfighter v4s is beautiful and a relative nearly 10 years gone left me a substantial inheritance. I so nearly bought it. Sanity prevailed I bought a new 1290 sas and in july traded my 2016 sdr for the new EVO. Ducati made a red light to red light sex toy and in cornfield USA we don't have much use for them.

·
Registered
2022 SDR Evo
66 Posts
The streetfighter v4s is beautiful and a relative nearly 10 years gone left me a substantial inheritance. I so nearly bought it. Sanity prevailed I bought a new 1290 sas and in july traded my 2016 sdr for the new EVO. Ducati made a red light to red light sex toy and in cornfield USA we don't have much use for them.
I live in Western Pennsylvania and couldn't agree more about the cornfield USA comment. I love my '22 EVO. Some said I would regret trading my '19 SMCR but I actually like the EVO so much more around these country/mountain roads.

OP...I would definitely be wanting a complete refund or new crate motor with a new warranty on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Chiming in on the discussion - I have tested my colleagues V4S Streetfighter and there is no way I would buy one after owning the 1290. The V4 engine just does nothing for me...

Update for today: Dealer still waiting on special tool from KTM to split cases. Hopefully in tomorrow or first thing Monday.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Chiming in on the discussion - I have tested my colleagues V4S Streetfighter and there is no way I would buy one after owning the 1290. The V4 engine just does nothing for me...

Update for today: Dealer still waiting on special tool from KTM to split cases. Hopefully in tomorrow or first thing Monday.
Totally agree, no botton end, takes to 6500-7000 to get going, by then the 1290 has gone. But fuk they are insane 10,000 and up.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Totally agree, no botton end, takes to 6500-7000 to get going, by then the 1290 has gone. But fuk they are insane 10,000 and up.
I like low down grunt, but love the feel of top end warp factor one. If the V4 doesn't scare the utter hell out of me I wont be buying. I'll definitely be sussing out this flat spot issue you mentioned. If it's there on the demo I'll literally walk away from the deal. The SDR is quick, no doubt about it, but I don't think it's as quick as what some of this forum claim it to be. My gixxer, on the other hand, despite it's 'lack' of low end grunt, is phenomenal and I'd put money on it over my SDR in a drag or on the track. If the CFO allows it, I'll keep the gixxer and SDR, and buy the V4 as an unnecessary adjunct.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Top end acceleration is fun alright but my main problem with the V4s is that it is absolutely crap at high speed thanks to the aeros being no better than the Superduke. So by the time the engine is doing anything fun you are in the area where naked bikes suck the most. It's fine on a sportsbike where you can easily sit at high speeds in comfort but the Ducati just seems like the wrong engine for this style of bike. You want punch and low down squirt, not I'm on a huge straight going flat out all the time power. The Tuono is better all round in my opinion. The main aspect I'd look for in a road bike is fun in road use. The V4SF is all just a bit flat and dull most of the time you arent going straight.

·
Registered
594 Posts
To get back on original topic, KTM dealer needs special tool to split cases?! That tells u right there, they never rebuilt, or worked on this particular motor, I would stop them right there,and insist on a crate motor from KTM!!
Or better yet, let them “buy back” your vehicle
And walk away!!!! There are lemon laws u should look closely at!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
To get back on original topic, KTM dealer needs special tool to split cases?! That tells u right there, they never rebuilt, or worked on this particular motor, I would stop them right there,and insist on a crate motor from KTM!!
Or better yet, let them “buy back” your vehicle
And walk away!!!! There are lemon laws u should look closely at!
Thats a great point. You will be the first guinea pig @FlyingViking. I cannot imagine the new Evo engine case is so different then even a reg Gen 3 or even Gen 2....which tells me this is a first in total for them. Curious to know what that tool is.

See if you can sweet talk that dealer into recommending a new crate motor. For them, they do not want to tie up labor time into a rebuild (although im sure they' bilk KTM for it more than a crate install)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Crate motor is the way to go! (Unless they buy it back from you, and u walk away,cash in hand)..or better yet, if they have one in stock
Just swap titles, and then they could rebuild,or order crate motor at there leisure

Reactions: Clogan
21 - 40 of 54 Posts