KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, recently purchased a Super Duke R over the Streetfighter v4 (yet to receive my booking deposit back ><). I found out that the unit i bought was brought in on June 2022. I've had the bike now for over a month with just over 2000 km done. Happy to say no real issues yet and have been having way too much fun with this bike. However, two specific youtubers have given me some anxiety on this bike S.D.R, who has the SuperDuke GT, and Sergeant Sodom (his 2022 SDR has so many issues!).

I've so far seen MTC failure and MCU failure error messages pop up on the dash. The former popping up at least twice but I realized it popped up right after one of my buddies stalled the bike when he went on the test ride (never popped up since and both occasions when it stalled). As far as the latter is concerned, i only ever saw it once. No warning lights whatsoever ever since but its only been a week since i saw these errors. Should i be concerned? I think its a little premature to send it in to the dealers to check since there are no warning lights. Anyone else having any experiences like me? Just wondering if its a start to something more diabolical. Would love to hear more thoughts/experiences on this.

· Registered
58 Posts
The biggest cause of MTC failures is the exhaust servo. Either the cables get slightly out of whack or a stone gets caught in the mechanism. Most owners disconnect the servo (and often remove it entirely) and fit a Healtech dongle so the ECU thinks the POS is still there. It's a noise-control piece of crap, not needed.

Error messages can sometimes stick around for a few re-starts/runs but do clear by themselves eventually, unless something is actually wrong.

· Registered
270 Posts
I had the same reservations...watching youtube complaints messes with the mind. But I took the plunge anyway as it seems (as stated above) that the servo is the main cause of the MTC errors. I bought the Healtech ESE thinking that I'd just plug it in if I get the error, but discovered last night when I got at it that reaching the disconnect is not possible so did the full servo delete. Took less than an hour.

Other issues (starting) are related to low battery voltage, remedied by keeping the bike on a trickle charger when parked.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow seems like its quite unanimous so far that the damn MTC related errors are due to the servo. I'm just wondering how any of these errors are triggered. Did it just come out of the blue?

How about experiences with MCU errors?

· Registered
63 Posts
I had 1 MTC error when my bike was pretty new, which went away after a couple restarts. Was just cruising along at 60 km/hr when the error popped up.

Since then it's been trouble-free hooning.

· Registered
106 Posts
I have both the 2020 V4 Street fighter and recently purchased a 2022 SD Evo. I’ve modded both as far as you can go with everything right down to BST rapid tek wheels on both. 100% you made the right choice. The Street fighter is a good bike but the power comes on way too high and keeps going to I think 15,500 rpm’s. That’s not a great engine for around town and back twisties. On the track yes it would be a blast but I absolutely hands down love then 2022 1290SD! Even with its issues here and there.

Attachments

· Registered
1,495 Posts
I have both the 2020 V4 Street fighter and recently purchased a 2022 SD Evo. I’ve modded both as far as you can go with everything right down to BST rapid tek wheels on both. 100% you made the right choice. The Street fighter is a good bike but the power comes on way too high and keeps going to I think 15,500 rpm’s. That’s not a great engine for around town and back twisties. On the track yes it would be a blast but I absolutely hands down love then 2022 1290SD! Even with its issues here and there.
Kind of you to say. The v4s is a beautiful bike, but Ducati deliberately left a few features off that could have converted a few SDR owners, I do a lot of 400 mile days during riding season so limited tank range when out exploring would always be in the back of my mind, especially if all the power is in the upper rpm's, and not having cruise control on the ride home from wherever always got frustrating on my gen 1 sdr's. The new v4 Diavel has a 5+ gallon tank, but the multistrada motor not the one in your bike...I wonder how that bike will be geared? might be a more direct competitor to the SDR if they do a few things different. I know the V2 Diavel sold out as fast as they could deliver them for at least the first few years.

· Premium Member
26 Posts
I have the 2020 GTand I've had problems with these 'ghost' codes popping up. On the test ride the general failure code flashed! have about 6,000 miles on it now and I've had MTC, ABS, and General failure all come repeatedly. I did the cat delete with the healtech dongle and till got the codes. The tech said to re-install the cat and the dongle(servo) so he could eliminate that as a cause. I did and took it in for service. One of the tech went out on a limb and checked the rear wheel speed sensor! Apparently the bike left the factory without a very specific spacer behind the speed sensor. After 2 weeks waiting for the part to arrived they declared that the problem was solved. I flashed up the bike at the dealer and immediately got 'suspension failure' The tech looked at it , shrugged his shoulders and walked away.(hopefully to record it on my service records) I discovered from the pages of this website, that the position you have the kill switch in, has an effect on the failure codes. before hitting the 'ready to race button' be sure to have the kill/start button in the start position.
Since following that procedure I haven't had any ghost codes.

I hope this helps.

· Registered
53 Posts
The mildly nice thing is that all of the "quirks" of owning a SD are understood and the solutions are on the forum. There have been some that felt the juice wasn't worth the squeeze but the overwhelming majority of us love torque so we mostly adore the SD/SDGT platform regardless. However, there are some low days. Faith in God or a positive attitude can help. Lastly, if you haven't heard, always keep your battery topped up and healthy. To do otherwise is to enter hell. Cheers!

· Premium Member
In the Colorado canyons
78 Posts
Yeah, and with any expensive wheeled thing, car or bike, you'll always hear more online from people having issues with that thing. Because like you said, this is where you come to solve issues. We don't hear from the large majority of satisfied customers. We used to talk about it on an Audi S4 board I used to be on, because people thinking of buying would get spooked by the threads of folks having issues. It really wasn't many people, and if I remember there was only one car that got returned as a lemon.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On top of everything - make sure your bike has had the recalls done. There is one for the wire harness that is critical
That was the first thing i did when i got delivery of the bike. Had to download the recall tech guide and even asked the dealer to show me the parts that were installed

· Registered
270 Posts
It was my bike Sergeant Sodom rode in the video before buying his ...and although some of his issues could of been avoided that dude is one unlucky guy and a nice chap behind the camera
Interesting. How has yours been? I wonder if his issues are partly bad luck and partly his own doing. And with all the mods he’s done I won’t be surprised if his case is not settled in his favour. The mods give them an out I think.

· Registered
9 Posts
Today I noticed an odd sound under acceleration. Between first, second and third, as I'm going through the rev ranges I hear a sound thats similar to an old car's worn and old timing belt that's screaming. You know the kind that makes a really high pitched rubbery duck rubbing sound. Don't know how else I can describe it. Only happens at lower gears, then again it could be happening all throughout the gears but wind,.engine and exhaust sounds have overpowered the said sound. I thought it was my helmet that's come loose in one of the vents but switching between my arai and hjc still brings about the same sound. Any ideas? I do wear ear plugs.. I came from an inline 4 so this is my first.experience with a v twin, so bear with me. Thanks all.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts