KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SDR Evo
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Just traded my 2019 SMCR in on a 2022 SDR.

Anyone have the bike start then shut off within a second or so?

My SMCR liked to be started quickly and maybe the SDR does not. Gonna try a slower process next cold start but here is what I was doing. I press the race on button, already had the run switch to the "ON" position, and hit the start. It would run for just a second or so and shut off. This is the 2nd time this happened to me. Next start I'm going to try with the kill switch off. Hit the race on button, turn switch to on, wait a few seconds or so and then try to start it.

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my 22' does the same every once in a while, when cold starting. Buddy's 890 Adventure does it too. I'd only be concerned if it was every single time.
Have not figured out if cold temps are a factor or if it's just the 1st start after sitting a while.

·
Registered
2022 SDR Evo
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get the battery load rested. Or, alternatively, set the dash to battery voltage then crank and check what voltage drops to.
I will have to check the voltages when starting from cold next time but I did check it with a meter with the bike off and it read 12.8. When on and not running the meter read 12.59 and the bike screen said 12.3.

my 22' does the same every once in a while, when cold starting. Buddy's 890 Adventure does it too. I'd only be concerned if it was every single time.
Have not figured out if cold temps are a factor or if it's just the 1st start after sitting a while.
This morning was the first time it started up without stalling. I did mess around with the menu's to pull up my favorites before trying to start this time. Maybe it was just a coincidence. We will see what the next morning start does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will have to check the voltages when starting from cold next time but I did check it with a meter with the bike off and it read 12.8. When on and not running the meter read 12.59 and the bike screen said 12.3.

This morning was the first time it started up without stalling. I did mess around with the menu's to pull up my favorites before trying to start this time. Maybe it was just a coincidence. We will see what the next morning start does.

Not that it should matter, but I also don't hit the kill switch when shutting off. I just hold the lock button so it shuts off and locks the steering. My ignition switch usually stays in center position.

·
Registered
2022 SDR Evo
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not that it should matter, but I also don't hit the kill switch when shutting off. I just hold the lock button so it shuts off and locks the steering. My ignition switch usually stays in center position.
Going to do that on the next cold start and see if it makes any difference....but like you said...It shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My '18 used to do this on a cold morning - it would fire up, putter then die, before idling normally on the second start. Problem solved after doing an O2 delete. Now it fires up first time, every time, and settles into an immediate strong idle. Cold starting is even better after installing a high CCA lithium battery.

·
Premium Member
2021 1290 Super Duke R (Black)
91 Posts
That's what you're 'posta do.

·
Registered
2022 SDR Evo
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update from dealer: I sent him the video I posted here and he forwarded it onto service.
Salesman said it sounds lean on startup.
Service said it is still learning and should clear itself up and if it doesn't by the 600 mile mark, they will make adjustments to fix it. Do the techs have access to change all parameters in the ECU?

Update on bike: I began doing the down2clown method of starting and had no issues the last two starts. Now...I haven't had a cold start (when it usually happens) yet and didn't ride to work today due to the wonderful Western Pennsylvania weather.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update from dealer: I sent him the video I posted here and he forwarded it onto service.
Salesman said it sounds lean on startup.
Service said it is still learning and should clear itself up and if it doesn't by the 600 mile mark, they will make adjustments to fix it. Do the techs have access to change all parameters in the ECU?

Update on bike: I began doing the down2clown method of starting and had no issues the last two starts. Now...I haven't had a cold start (when it usually happens) yet and didn't ride to work today due to the wonderful Western Pennsylvania weather.

When I had issues with the suspension electronics early on, the dealer techs capabilities were very limited and everything was handled through remote connect with KTM.

It's my impression dealer service techs handle the basic troubleshooting and physical repairs but a remote tech from KTM would be the one addressing more advanced issues, making software changes, troubleshooting electronics, etc.

·
Registered
'19 1290 SDR
186 Posts
I had similar issues with my last bike (MT09)... Turns out that it was just picky with where i got fuel from. I started going to a different gas station and the issue stopped.

Just another thought.

·
Registered
'19 1290 SDR
186 Posts
In the mean time I still think draining gas and replacing with other (or e-free or stabilized) would be worth a shot. Could just be watery gas getting blown through the system before "good stuff" finds its way in to the cylinder

·
Registered
2022 SDR Evo
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In the mean time I still think draining gas and replacing with other (or e-free or stabilized) would be worth a shot. Could just be watery gas getting blown through the system before "good stuff" finds its way in to the cylinder
Need to fill up with fresh today anyways.

One thing to note here....I had the battery disconnected when I was hooking up my heated gear plug over the weekend and I never started it till today. Could this have reset the "Learning" ?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts