KTM Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the wait times for 390s, I am considering the 890R; this would be my first bike - a little nervous, but have confidence driving, MTB'ing, etc. Am I over my ski tips considering an 890R - help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
With the wait times for 390s, I am considering the 890R; this would be my first bike - a little nervous, but have confidence driving, MTB'ing, etc. Am I over my ski tips considering an 890R - help!
In my opinion, a (new?) 890R is not a good candidate for anyone's first bike. You're much better off buying a smaller, used bike that you can afford to learn (and make mistakes) on first, then working your way up to a bike this large and expensive.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought an 890 last year and it’s my first street bike.
Loving every minute of it. Buy it. You won’t regret it.
It’s a beast.
I could see it being a handful off-road having all this torque and power and weight. Depends on your skill level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, one in favor one in descent; will have a look and see. But thanks -S

·
Registered
790R, KLX350, Canyon Enduracer, Santa Cruz
112 Posts
With a 100HP, it is very easy to get in over your head, way over!!!!!
The question is "what do you want to do?"
Riding a mud fest, tree rooted single track your going to want to run 8-16psi in your tires. You can't run a 100HP bike with 8# in the rear tire. (all while trying to learn to ride this type of terrain)
Now if you have no interest in that, an 890R is a great bike for adv riding as long as it is not too deep into the woods or rocks.
edit: I will add that for me, riding a mud fest, tree rooted single track is where I learned how to ride, not slabbing it!!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Even in “Rain” mode, the 890 is a beast for a first street bike. The R model‘s seat height is relatively high too. But, with low CG, ABS and traction control, the bike is easy to ride on the street. It is a heavy beast with too much power for a newbie on the dirt; however, once you pick it up several times you will figure out how not to fall over. A used DRZ400, XL250 or other low hp dual sport would be a much better first bike; but if you have $15k to blow, the 890 is an awesome machine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to disagree with those who say the 890 is too powerful, and you should start with a much lower cc motor.
I started with an awfully twitchy 650 and did have a couple of scary whiskey throttle moments, but if the 890 is ride by wire, you'll find (if indeed you are careful!) a progressive power that you can dial in to your liking and it will behave nicely for you.
My second motorcycle was the 1190 Adventure, and I gotta say that even with the ridiculous torque from the incredibly responsive engine, its an easier to ride, safer (to me) bike than the Vstrom.
If you are confident, not cocky, and give yourself time, and really, really practice in safe places, you'll never look back. Why waste the money, hassles with dmv, insurance, etc. , on a lower power bike, which can still get you in big trouble, when you can start with an excellent, agile, and yes, very powerful machine?
Think of it as a tool - would you buy the homemaker versions of tools you depend on and that don't limit you, or buy the tool that does what you really need, well, and has capacity to do more, should you need that...
Good luck, either way!

·
Registered
561 Posts
The 890 is too powerful and twitchy for a first time rider. End of.

Get something smaller.

Motorcycling is VERY unforgiving of lack of skill.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have found that people who have started out riding on a smaller bike (i.e. Ninja 250 or DRZ400, etc) usually end up being a much better/faster rider in the long run. The people who started out on a large and fast bike seem to have stuck to the bad riding habits that come with riding something that is way beyond your abilities. If you want to be a better rider, wait for the 390 or, even better, find a WR250X. You’ll eventually become the type of rider that can embarrass people on their Super Duke, even on the WR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought my first bike ever this year. KTM 890 R.
Before I even got on the thing I took an in-depth 3 day training course for street hikes. Then took a course for adventure riding. I then picked up my bike from the dealer.
I rode it with biker gangs and easy riders. Then went for my first Thursday adventure ride with the boys. I kept up for 4 km easy and then they thought it was time to bust my cherry with some hard trails and also bust my bike a little.
I biffed it 6 times in total, sand to gravel, dirt moguls and through the mud. Hills and downhills, railroad tracks and all. I broke my windshield, a reflector, the sticker on my skid plate and took off a mirror. Totally shot my nerves and yes, I was way in over my head and learned a big lesson.
The 890 is a bike that deserves a lot of respect. But it doesn't mean you can't buy one from the start and get good at it. 3 months ago I started this journey and I will officially grade myself as a beginner :) I'm no longer intimidated by the machine. Im comfortable in intersections, riding on the highway is a dream and I take it off road from time to time on the bunny trails. Next year I'll go hang with the big dogs again to get another guage as to my abilities and perhaps will become an intermediate beginner.
On the plus, I know that I bought a kick *** bike and I'm good enough to ride it and play a little. I bought a touring windshield and take it off when I go off road with one screw. I replaced both my mirrors with double takes and super glued my reflector.
Oh... 1 more thing. There is a guy at work that has the 390 and it looks like a cute little baby next to my 890 :) 👋 Happy riding dude....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts