KTM Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently repaired the head on my 2012 450 SX-F.
The oil pump spring wasn't replaced and the update hadn't been done when I purchased the bike so the intake ran dry and galled up the head and cam bridge.
We milled a brass bearing out of bearing material and machined the head for the new bearing then loctite it in. Oiling groves were cut into the good side of the head and cam bridge along with the new bearing. Also after the head was repaired the oil pump received a new spring and the shim upgrade and the oil pressure was tested and runs 40 psi all through the rpm range. I recently took the bike to the UP of Michigan and put over 8 hours on it since the repair.

·
Dirt tracker
3,442 Posts
Nice looking job! Nice old school craftsmanship. Your method is one of the better ones for salvaging a dead cylinder head. Your bronze insert method is a long lasting repair. Good work sir.

·
Dirt tracker
3,442 Posts
Ya. Yer preaching to the choir now.
Manufacturers are more interested in saving a little weight and a few pennies in production of the motor. Not a lot of difference in friction reduction with either bearing material. Trouble starts with the consumer when we buy these throwaway parts and they fail.
Just the way things are now

Reactions: Flyinbrian365
1 - 5 of 5 Posts