KTM Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
21 300xcw, tsp refash w/ medium comp head. 1st sensor @30hours, 2nd @40, 3rd 45, and again @ 49. I've always checked an cleaned tray, vent tube, brass fitting. For whatever reason it's happening more frequently. Jus remembered the very 1st sensor change I swapped it with ambient an never replaced the ambient. So I'm replacing both this time, but is there anything else I should be doing or looking for. Could the medium comp head cause this. I pulled expansion chamber to see if I have excessive blow-by, looked good. Always used motorex 2t oil. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,628 Posts
21 300xcw, tsp refash w/ medium comp head. 1st sensor @30hours, 2nd @40, 3rd 45, and again @ 49. I've always checked an cleaned tray, vent tube, brass fitting. For whatever reason it's happening more frequently. Jus remembered the very 1st sensor change I swapped it with ambient an never replaced the ambient. So I'm replacing both this time, but is there anything else I should be doing or looking for. Could the medium comp head cause this. I pulled expansion chamber to see if I have excessive blow-by, looked good. Always used motorex 2t oil. Thanks
Sorry, have no experience with the TPI bikes, but let's see what the others know... @DW , @augiedoggie

·
Dirt Wizard
4,607 Posts
Got me buggered. I haven't had enough experience with these yet. I have heard of guys replacing the sensors when the issue was actually a blockage in the line and or a crack in the tray. If you've checked all that, then I'm not sure sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got me buggered. I haven't had enough experience with these yet. I have heard of guys replacing the sensors when the issue was actually a blockage in the line and or a crack in the tray. If you've checked all that, then I'm not sure sorry.
I've checked everything I know to check, I'm gonna bypass the tray an put hose directly on the sensor, maybe my tray isn't 100%. Last thing I can think of outside of trying a different ECU or putting factory head back on

·
Super Moderator
950 Posts
Not a hint of CCPS issues with my TPI and pushing over 80 hours now.

The fact your bike is eating CCPS's is madness. Is the dealer just throwing parts at the bike or are you testing and deeming them faulty and replacing on your own? (Just curious).

Is the only variable you've changed the head? I don't see how it would make a sensor go back but could rule that out if you wanted.

What happens at those intervals, bike stutters and runs like ****? That's why I ask how you confirmed the sensors were toast and not bad gas or an overly oiled filter.

·
Joker
1,284 Posts
Throwing this out there (again) simply because we went thru the replacing electrical sensors thing on another application.
Could be nothing or could be important, at least to rule it out? Try another battery - there said it.
We replaced pretty much every sensor a few times including an expensive new wiring harness .... finally in exasperation the battery and battery cables were replaced . To quote @DW ... "No worries mate".

Oh and make sure the voltage regulator is working, particularly not over charging as this can really confuse sensors.

Reactions: IDTrav

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a hint of CCPS issues with my TPI and pushing over 80 hours now.

The fact your bike is eating CCPS's is madness. Is the dealer just throwing parts at the bike or are you testing and deeming them faulty and replacing on your own? (Just curious).

Is the only variable you've changed the head? I don't see how it would make a sensor go back but could rule that out if you wanted.

What happens at those intervals, bike stutters and runs like ****? That's why I ask how you confirmed the sensors were toast and not bad gas or an overly oiled filter.
My local dealership is joke, absolutely no help there. Bike runs like crap on bottom stutters bad until u get past 1/3 throttle. First time it happened I looked around online for possible issue an tried new ccps and it immediately straightened up an the other incidents are the same. When it happens it's always the same, I'll be in the middle of a ride an notice it running bad on bottom. The ECU was reflashed by TSP along with medium compression head.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,607 Posts
Mate, I wish I knew more about these. I suppose this couldn't come down to a bad batch of sensors?
Maybe the modifications to your bike have altered the crankcase pressure enough that only a brand new sensor can handle the sensitivity and as soon as the sensor has a a few hours it starts to give off readings that's out of the ecu's parameters.
My knowledge of the tpi's is poor, I do have reasonable knowledge with fuel injection, but to this day I'm still baffled on how Ktm figured out how to use a map style sensor on the crankcase of a 2 stroke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts