KTM Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked my son up a 2003 KTM 50 senior. No manual or anything came with it. Just wondering what oil I should run in the crankcase and how much? Will someone please help me??? :) Thanks in advance, Craig

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just picked my son up a 2003 KTM 50 senior. No manual or anything came with it. Just wondering what oil I should run in the crankcase and how much? Will someone please help me??? :) Thanks in advance, Craig
Wow, I see you posted your question over three weeks ago & no reply's. I'm sure it's a common Q but what the heck. According to the counter, 566 folks read your post but no replies? I'm out of here.
I've read that a lot of guys are running Rotella 15-40. That's what I run in my diesel so I'm glad to hear that they are using it. I run Castrol GTX 10-40. Works fine. I would say others would argue with me but I don't think anyone will ever even read this post. lol
IMOP, if you chhange your oil every three (average) rides, I don't think it matters much at all what you put in there. (within reason)
Congrats on the new bike. I'll bet your boy will love it!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
download, read, understand and do what the 50cc owner's bible says. http://www.users.bigpond.com/steve.max/the...e-ktm-bible.pdf

Sometimes the link is down so if that's the case. pm me your email and I'll send it to you direct

I would NOT recommend using an automotive, mineal-based oil as the previous post suggests. The manual calls for ATF.

I have used Motul MTL with 2-cool additive at 200-250cc's. There are many discussions and hours of read on the 50 tech forums.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a 2 stroke so you need to use a 2 stroke premix oil in the gas. I use Maxima Formula K2 and mix it 40:1. Also the oil in the case is the transmission oil. It was recommended by a shop that works on these to use Maxima MTL 75w oil. I run 250cc in my son's 2007 KTM Senior. Make sure you change the trans oil often. The shop suggested every couple of hours to keep the spring washers clean. I change mine every 2 to 3 hours depending on how hard he is riding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts