KTM Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new to the forum and im sure you all have talked about this before but how does the hot rods bottom kit hold and preform? Looking to freshen up my sons 2016 KTM 50 all the way around with bearings, crank, seals ect. This will be my first time doing so just looking for input. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
1,454 Posts
We never did any bottom end motor work on the 50sx. It just kept running for the year we had it. But as we moved up to 65, 85, 125 and now 150cc bikes we have tested non-OEM conrods and cranks. What we have found is that they last approx 1/2 the time a OEM one lasts. But that is based on "full noise" riding. (Note, the cranks have not failed, only the conrod big end, and it was never an "explosion" but a worn big end). In one of our 85sx bikes the conrod big end failed long before we expected it. We had been told that the big end had been done 5 hours ago (we bought the bike pre-loved and as a practice bike), so we planned on re-doing it at 80 hours. But it failed just after 40 hours (not sure if the hours we were told were correct... probably not). I took out the crank and gave it to our KTM shop to rebuild. I got a phone call telling me that it was a Hot Rods crank and conrod. I had them to rebuild it with a OEM KTM conrod. We never had any issues and used the bike for 80 more hours before we rebuilt it again.

But compare the cost between a complete crank with conrod against buying a OEM KTM conrod and having it professionally fitted. That is what we reverted to doing and it has always worked well and given us the hours we expect from a conrod! (60h from 65sx, 80h fom 85sx, 120h from 125/150sx). Those hours are when we replace the conrod kit. Motor is still running faultlessly.

Hope we get some current/resent 50sx bike dads/mums adding to the conversation here.

·
Super Moderator
1,454 Posts
Has been moved to Sportminicycles

·
Dirt Wizard
4,231 Posts
I don't like hotrods. Pro-x are better.

·
Super Moderator
1,454 Posts
I don't like hotrods. Pro-x are better.
We tested both conrod kits. Very much the same. Still only gave us 1/2 the time compared to OEM. I recon the only time the after market ones would be used by a competitive rider is when they rebuild the bike for sale... (save money...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts