KTM Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I do to increase the power of my bike? Has anyone tried the Hot Cams? What about valve springs? Will porting the intake side of the head decrease the ability for the air and fuel to mix? Basically and advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What can I do to increase the power of my bike? Has anyone tried the Hot Cams? What about valve springs? Will porting the intake side of the head decrease the ability for the air and fuel to mix? Basically and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Oh Jason, where to start ?
I ride an 05 525 exc, at 8500+ft here in colorado and here is what I did to set this bike free.
1. install a quick start accelerator pump cover from www.wirtz.net. It doubles the gas capacity under the pump, and it is the cheapest one out there.
2. install a power now AND a powernow plus in the carb throat. At 99.00 each or maybe less on e=bay. You will need to search for deals.
3. File the ground electrode on your sparkplug to almost a point to expose more spark to the mixture. An old stockcar trick since ktm does not "time" their tapping operation when they machine the head . This is just in case your ground electrode is facing the intake valve.
4. Take the stock end cap of the muffler and look inside. you see that little pipe with a bend in it. Cut the pipe off clear down to where it is welded to the cap with tin snips, and use a dremmel tool with a cutoff wheel and grinding drum to smooth it all round inside and put a 45 degree bevel on the inside with the grinding drum. You just saved $135.. for a "billet" end cap, and this will set this bike free, plus it will run cooler.
5. carb mixture screw. Take yours out, after measuring the number of turns out from bottom it is now, and solder a 3/4 inch piece of coathanger wire in the slot @ the bottom. You just saved $25.00 for a fancy "billet" aftermarket mixture screw.
I did all the above in one shot after a few rides in stock form and BOY CAN I TELL THE DIFFERENCE !!!!!!!! I fell in love al over again...
mike
Buena Vista, Colo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts