KTM Forums banner

690 Duke 2015 Running issues

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  taurusedj 
#1 ·
Hey, i recently acquired a duke 690 2015, quite cheaply i might add. I am technically enclined. but have mostly worked on diesel engines. and i am not very familiar with ktm fuel injection systems.

About the bike:
  • 10 000 km in odometer
  • is restrickted to 44 kph
  • lives in norway ( so he is usually freezing)

symtoms are:
  • will not start without applying a small amount of throttle
  • will not run at a fixed rpm when cold, does not matter if it is 2000rpm or 6000. just starts missfireing and dies. (gets better when warm, but still a lot of missfiering)
  • can be driven, but missfires all the time, very difficult to make it yield full power.
  • will not run at idle (hot or cold) idle rpm seems to bee to low to be sustained.
  • too keep the engine running constant large adjustment to throttle use is required.

so far i have checked:
  • fuel quality ( dranied tank, washed it and replaced fuel)
  • fuel pump and regulator ( tested in a bath of gasoline, seems to be suppluing an adequate amount of fuel. thoug not pressure tested)
  • Fuel filters (cleaned and flow tested)
  • Fuel injector (backflushed and tested in open air, has a nice and even spray)
  • Throttle valve (seems to be working to spec. opens to full when engine is running. no un-even movements)
  • Rocker arms and valve clearances (all within spec)
  • Air filter ( ok )
  • spark plugs (replaced with new ones)
  • coils (not sure how to test these, but they both measure 1,4 ohms. and visually checked spark while running the starter motor. both plugs fire at the same time)
  • muffler (tried removing it incase of backpressure. only made it worse)

Everything mechanical seems to be in order wich is why i will now start measuring sensor values with an oscillioscope.
any tip for other things that should be checked is much apriciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, i recently acquired a duke 690 2015, quite cheaply i might add. I am technically enclined. but have mostly worked on diesel engines. and i am not very familiar with ktm fuel injection systems.

About the bike:
  • 10 000 km in odometer
  • is restrickted to 44 kph
  • lives in norway ( so he is usually freezing)

symtoms are:
  • will not start without applying a small amount of throttle
  • will not run at a fixed rpm when cold, does not matter if it is 2000rpm or 6000. just starts missfireing and dies. (gets better when warm, but still a lot of missfiering)
  • can be driven, but missfires all the time, very difficult to make it yield full power.
  • will not run at idle (hot or cold) idle rpm seems to bee to low to be sustained.
  • too keep the engine running constant large adjustment to throttle use is required.

so far i have checked:
  • fuel quality ( dranied tank, washed it and replaced fuel)
  • fuel pump and regulator ( tested in a bath of gasoline, seems to be suppluing an adequate amount of fuel. thoug not pressure tested)
  • Fuel filters (cleaned and flow tested)
  • Fuel injector (backflushed and tested in open air, has a nice and even spray)
  • Throttle valve (seems to be working to spec. opens to full when engine is running. no un-even movements)
  • Rocker arms and valve clearances (all within spec)
  • Air filter ( ok )
  • spark plugs (replaced with new ones)
  • coils (not sure how to test these, but they both measure 1,4 ohms. and visually checked spark while running the starter motor. both plugs fire at the same time)
  • muffler (tried removing it incase of backpressure. only made it worse)

Everything mechanical seems to be in order wich is why i will now start measuring sensor values with an oscillioscope.
any tip for other things that should be checked is much apriciated.
Try unpugging and cleaning the related sensors (MAP, Throttle Position, O2), while your there if that doesn't help might as well test them. I don't know what the readings should be, hopefully you have a manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.