KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone clarify what the setings are on the map select dial on the Duke?
Accordong to the manual, 1 is 'soft' 2 is 'performance' and 3 to 9 is standard.
Just had its first service and the salesman said 2 was standard and 3 was performance, then I spoke to the mechanic and he told me it was all bollocks and I wouldn't notice anything different whatever setting it was on.
:rolleyes:
Anyone actually know? Tried searching and can find sod all info anywhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I checked mine a while back and was set on 3 from the factory. I've had it on 2 ever since. The bike does seem a little quicker but the throttle is more touchy now. It's a little hard to ride smooth but this bike was ment to be ridden aggressively anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the maual is correct. 2 is 'performane' and 3 is standard. Lot of people compaining about snatchy throttle on 2, probably best left for the track.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right hand side, behind the frame where your leg is. A rubber thing on a boyonet, pull it down and peel back the cover.

Page 100 of the manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
does anybody have a picture of the setting adjustment knob and its location on the bike?
Its in the manual.(page 105 in the 2008 Duke manual) If you are sitting on the bike, reach down under your right leg through the frame and its hanging on a silicone soft rubber hood over a tab. pull it down to remove it from the tab, then peel open the cover to expose the dial, you have to hold it so that the rounded corner of the dial plateau is on your upper left(10 oclock), that puts the reference mark at the 6 oclock position.(mine has a small white delta mark) The dial itself has 0-9 positions, 1 is for rain-30% power decrease, 2 is for sport, 3-9 for standard mode.

I know there has been some confusion on this dial and what it effects, I have read that the it is a timing retard, and yet the manual states that it is fuel mapping. I would love to know the answer?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was playing with this dial yesterday, and :

#1 is definitely power limiting, feels asthmatic, would be good for the rain or new riders.

#2 is the snappiest for sure with alot of grunt, and top end as well, best for track or spirited riding.

#3 is more tame, very linear power delivery and smoothes the throttle delivery, good for daily commuting.

It works on my bike anyway.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, but you have to have a dealer do it as it requires a proprietary $1700 interface cable that only the KTM dealer network can get. It has been my experience that not many of the KTM dealers have this cable. I dont know if the Tuneboy or forthcoming Power Commander will allow access to the open slots.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Map selector is a variable resistor...

Time to revive this thread :batman:

Okay we have established what the different settings are on the switch, no need to go back there. I live in the tropics and i believe salt in the air may be screwing with the electrical contacts of my bike and here's why... The other day i found my bike wasn't performing as well as it should. I couldn't understand why and eventually took a look at the map select switch in case its setting had changed for whatever reason. Setting was on 3 (std) as i prefer but the appropriate the throttle response was not of a 3 setting. As 3 to 9 are said to be identical, i thought let's shift it over to 4 to see if it responds the same and hey presto my bike performs as it really should :huh:

I had a look in the repair manual yesterday afternoon to investigate the map select switch and in the wiring diagram I find out it is a variable resistor...and I know these can be temperamental!

Question, related to the problem i think I'm experiencing... Does anyone know what the resistance of each position 0 to 9 should be? I'm gonna find a Ohmmeter and measure all of mine, and would be most grateful if someone with a new Duke could check their values and post them here too.

If my hypothesis is right, at some point, degradation of the contact points in the switch would make the resistances vary and may cause the onboard computer to think it's on a different map, at least on a salty island like mine :D

Look forward to hearing from you...
Cheers

Reactions: DAPerDan

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have been deliberately avoiding playing with this.
All that I have heard is that it advances or retards the throttle response, not switch between maps.

I have left mine on the 'intermediate' setting which is quite punch enough thankyou.

But I might try switching it to one of the 4+ numbers to see if it -is- a map.
If the akra map was loaded into 'slot 3' on mine, then perhaps the default map is on slots 4-9. It would be interesting to see if there is a change, as I have been getting cut-outs (especially in cold weather) when opening the throttle from standing starts - and it's not stalling, it's just coughing out, especially when the throttle initially opens.

Then again, it could all be down to the extreme cold atm.

·
Registered
100 Posts
... Does anyone know what the resistance of each position 0 to 9 should be? I'm gonna find a Ohmmeter and measure all of mine, and would be most grateful if someone with a new Duke could check their values and post them here too.
0 Poor fuel Quality inf
1 Soft 15k
2 Advanced 6,8k
3 Standard 4,68k
4 Standard 3,29k
5 Standard 2,7k
6 Standard 2,21k
7 Standard 1,93k
8 Standard 0k
9 Standard 0k

I have made an map select switch to be switched on the fly(restart engine required)
551d1336377091-how-clutch-wheelie-690-duke-mapv-c3-a4ljare.jpg
The original map switch can be replaced completely by an 15k ohm resistor, or put into the soft setting(pos. 1). I think I managed with a standard 12k ohm instead of the theroretical 12,4k ohm (yes, kohm).

·
Registered
426 Posts
0 Poor fuel Quality inf
1 Soft 15k
2 Advanced 6,8k
3 Standard 4,68k
4 Standard 3,29k
5 Standard 2,7k
6 Standard 2,21k
7 Standard 1,93k
8 Standard 0k
9 Standard 0k

I have made an map select switch to be switched on the fly(restart engine required)
View attachment 1433
The original map switch can be replaced completely by an 15k ohm resistor, or put into the soft setting(pos. 1). I think I managed with a standard 12k ohm instead of the theroretical 12,4k ohm (yes, kohm).
Cheers Tolou, that was well fast! Did you measure them off your switch or find the spec values? I'll measure mine and post as soon as. Quite interesting that the computer identifies anything ~4.68 and lower as standard. Thanks also for the figure; that's exactly what I want to make for my bike :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Position #2 is fun and pulls harder than 3 does between 3-5k, but seems above 5k they seem pretty equal. It does pull to the red line much quicker, but for me, this will probably just bring about the flashing red and blue lights in my mirrors if I leave it in 2 all the time. The linear pull of position 3 is smooth and predictable to me. Guess I will stay with 3 for normal riding, what ever that is...tomp dd50

·
Registered
25 Posts
I took my 690 to the racetrack for the first time last week. When I got home I discovered the mapping was set to soft. Bummer! Switching it to aggressive mode has made a noticeable difference. Much better hooligan factor and after all that is the dukes soul. I would love to fit the tuning kit just to feel its full potential. Has anyone thrown caution to the law and fitted it? The bike is soooooo restricted. My 1999 620sc is like riding a bomb. I bet the 690 would be nuclear with the sports kit.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I took my 690 to the racetrack for the first time last week. When I got home I discovered the mapping was set to soft. Bummer! Switching it to aggressive mode has made a noticeable difference. Much better hooligan factor and after all that is the dukes soul. I would love to fit the tuning kit just to feel its full potential. Has anyone thrown caution to the law and fitted it? The bike is soooooo restricted. My 1999 620sc is like riding a bomb. I bet the 690 would be nuclear with the sports kit.
All you need to do is buy an exhaust, the airbox conversion kit and re-map the bikes. Maps for the Duke are easy to get online and you can do the work yourself with an TUNE ECU kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for your help. I have the ktm supplied Aka fitted. Have found the Leo Vince cat eliminator, around $300 delivered. Gpr do a system for around $600. Any advice on these? I like the look of the small silencer. Can't get the airbox by itself. Can i modify the original? Can a complete computer retard do the ecu mapping? My only hope. Cheers.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My readings

So yeah, here are the readings i got next to Tolou's, measured with an analogue Ohmmeter...

----------------------Tolou-----Reshad
0------Poor fuel----∞-----------∞
1------Soft---------15k---------15k
2------Advanced---6.8k--------6.8k
3------Standard----4.68k------4.75k
4------Standard----3.29k------3.4k
5------Standard----2.7k--------2.6k
6------Standard----2.21k-------2.2k
7------Standard----1.93k------1.95k
8------Standard----0k----------0.2k
9------Standard----0k----------0.2k

Very close to what Tolou measured on his unit... So that rules out my hypothesis, unless it's an intermittent contact problem :/

·
Registered
990 Posts
Thanks for your help. I have the ktm supplied Aka fitted. Have found the Leo Vince cat eliminator, around $300 delivered. Gpr do a system for around $600. Any advice on these? I like the look of the small silencer. Can't get the airbox by itself. Can i modify the original? Can a complete computer retard do the ecu mapping? My only hope. Cheers.
You currently can't load the map yourself if you have a 2012 Duke...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts