KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Love the site! Have used the forums extensively already to find out a lot of information but would love to have a discussion about the issues I'm facing. I have read a lot of the threads about the 690 issues but get lost with all the mumbo jumbo.

I have a 2013 ktm duke 690 and love verything about it but the reliability. I am not mechanically minded but giving it a crack to try diagnose and fix myself.

Some background of the bike. I live in Brisbane, Australia and use the bike for commuting to and from work plus weekend rides up and down the mountains. In summer it can be very hot and humid. I found the bike runs extremely hot so I had a radiator fan override switch installed.

At 22 386km the rocker cover arm bearing seized. Work that was completed was
Roller rocker on inlet had seized/locked bearing. Drain oil, remove stator cover, remove filters and use magnets to remove debri and flush with oil. Fit new valve spring retainers, got new rockers and reshim valve clearance, refit tensioner. New oil etc and ran beautifully.

Recommend to replace stick coil as it's loose on spark plug. All at a cost of $1300 AUD.

Now the bike is just shy of 24 000km and riding home from work and the engine cut out and the bike no longer starts. Replaced a stick coil (not sure which one was loose). Still not starting. Inspected the spark plugs and one plug looks like it had been smashed (see attached). Replaced spark plug, turned over motor with spark plug attached to the coil and both plugs spark.

Bike still doesn't run :( doesn't even cough to try and start.

Read on here that it might be a fuel pump or fuel filter issue. Tested the fuel pump and still pumping well (allen key pushing the valve in while turning the motor over). But pulled out the pump and filter and found this (see attached) fuel filter full of black soot. I have ordered a new filter so just waiting for that to arrive before I try again.

Would this be the cause as to why the bike isn't starting? And what should I try next? Should I be worried about the spark plug been smashed?

Going to try and get a compression test kit to test the compression. Can someone link me to where I would find what the compression should be?

Other things to note is I believe the oil pressure light illuminated on the instrument panel. I can't remember if it always is before I start the bike?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
The fuel filter looks bad enough to cause the problem. That said, the plug is a real WTF. I can only think of three ways it could get that way -- a tech smashed it putting it in (in which case it should have run poorly), you smashed after pulling it out (unlikely you wouldn't notice) or the piston hit it. Was it the upper or lower one? I would replace it, remove the other plug and rotate the engine to see if the piston is hitting the plug. If not, see what happens when you replace the filter.

·
Registered
666 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts