KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone
I've owned a 690 duke (2017) for a while now, almost 20k miles. I've been noticing every time i fuel up, if i go from start to immediately whacking the throttle open, the bike will bog out and cut. I am aware that the bikes have had a fuel tank leaking issue in the past, however, my dad works for the company, and has assured me that the tank issue has been fixed. He said its possible its vapor locking, but im not sure if its possibly something else, and would like another opinion. Thoughts?

Appreciate it :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Vapor locking isn't a common problem with fuel injection.

More likely, you have a poor spray pattern from the injector.
Dirt/wear?
Have you ever changed your fuel filter?
If not, now's a good time.
Consider using a fuel injector cleaning additive and see if that improves the situation.
Better to use it after a filter change or you'll be dissolving dirt in the filter and passing it on to the injector.

Something to look for with a filter change:
Previous posts here have commented on older Dukes having issues with the plastic tanks dissolving a bit ( probably from the alcohol in the gas ) and leaving a black sludge that clogged both filter and injector.

Along with that issue of alcohol comes plastic tank warpage.
My 2014 Duke suffers from that. Cosmetically, a disaster the KTM factory rep denied was a problem.
I love riding the bike but won't be buying another. Too many issues.

·
Registered
2018 KTM 690 Duke; 2012 KTM 990 SMT
38 Posts
Wait ... your dad works for the company? KTM? KTM dealership? Geez, get pops to fix it! :)

When you say "immediately whacking the throttle open" you mean in neutral or with the bike moving? And if you roll on the throttle all is good?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nah full stop. Why are you even asking this here? If “Dad” works for the “company” (KTM??) just tell him his product is broken. Doesn’t sound like a tank issue; it sounds like a fueling issue.

I really mean no offense, but Dad sounds like he doesn’t have the slightest grasp of what the problem is. Which makes me think that Dad is a salesman at a dealership? Maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not vapor lock. That happens when the fuel gets hot -- so a very hot day with less than a quarter tank. Filling the tank fixes that because the new fuel is colder. (Let me find that photo of me and a rental Ducati near Maranello soaking wet from perspiration and pissed because the ST3 won't go. Took 30 minutes to cool enough to ride to a gas station. Worked fine after that). Most bikes will bog if you 'whack the throttle open.' I take it yours doesn't except after refueling. All I can think of is that fresh gas is colder and has stirred up sediment in the tank. I'd follow the fuel filter advice above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts