KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my most recent compulsion is a 07 690SM. As I've seen elsewhere,folks are already complaining about the "ugly" twin-outlet exhaust.I can't really say I like it, but it is growing on me.I have complete confidence some aftermarket entity will develop some alternatives.The point of this post is to extend a request to others on this board to please chime in on updates and upgrades for this model.My only other experience with KTM(which was positive)was 2000 model 125SX purchased for my son's venture into amateur mx competition. I know I want to change out my front&rear fenders as well.I hope to have a long and warm relationship with my first NEW streetbike.I should ad that I am glad there is now another place for KTM riders to share and exchange info. Mods, the board looks great!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so far

I'm getting the feeling that alot of people are holding out for the '08 SMC model? with a single exhaust, and "normal" front fender.hmmm, the SMC has a carb, while the SMR is FI. And different steering geometry too,which leads to higher ground clearance.I'm gonna have to get even deeper into this art.I wonder if that high mount SS exhaust(or suitable upgrade) could possibly be retrofitted to the SM chassis?.....hmmm I'm looking for help(input) here folks.I used the "model comparison"feature on the KTM site and learned of the obvious differences.I'm already getting anxious in the "off season" did I mention winter sux?I know, I know, you people up in Michigan , New England, and Cananda REALLY know what winter is about.That doesn't make it any easier to deal with here in D.C. area. These fruit loops practically stop right where they are if it LOOKS like moisture might come earthward.We need a few relatively "warm" days for a break, to get the bikes out for a brief ride!I just want to be on top of the tuning on this hotrod when the time comes...

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leo Vince !

here I come , Leo... and to the dealer for a re-map, too

·
Registered
1 Posts
I placed Akrapovic slip-ons on my 07 SM...just the weight itself is a huge difference. The stock pipes are super heavy!!! I'm not kidding there must be at least 12-15 pounds per pipe with the slip-on Akras. It sounds so much better now and with the 30 lbs lighter effect that's a + to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice... I just got mine not too long ago. I cant wait to change the pipes... but what other options are out there other then the akra?

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Leo

LV has a system for $889.USD on their site, I'm not sure how/if the re-map will agree with the tuning on that system...Akra is the choice alot of folks are turning to...there is a full carbon fiber option as well for less than $1,100.USD check their site, but definately consult the tech dept. before making a deposit...Unfortunately, I should sell mine, if anyone knows of an interested party, the bike is completely stock, so far, and only has 1,354 miles, after the first dealer service...it is a sweet ride! I just wanna be debt free! The sale of her would help that endeavor....

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 690 is about two weeks old,the pipes looks so heavy and huge from the side view,i'll save up for a nice set of pipes.the bike is awesome though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
akra slip-ons vs akra full system

I'm wondering if anyone has any opinion on the slip on akras for the 690 SM vs the full system. The stock pipes are quite quiet compared to my 450EXC, and I'm wondering if the slip on akras will do the trick in terms of making the bike sound more gutteral and beefy like the my 450exc. the Full system of course looks better, but here in japan the difference in price is double! $3000+ for the full system, and only $1500+ for the slip on akras.

Would like to know the opinions if anyone has them

Own:
honda CB400VF3
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2008 KTM 690 SMR

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could do what I did , just use the existing exhaust with a few bends to
go underneath , just a bit of time and some bends . Gutted all the inside out , a little bit loud but ok . Still plenty of ground clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Excellent Job

You could do what I did , just use the existing exhaust with a few bends to
go underneath , just a bit of time and some bends . Gutted all the inside out , a little bit loud but ok . Still plenty of ground clearance.
Have got anymore photos showing the exhaust system in greater detail?
What you have done is by far the best looking system I've seen for the 690!!:D

What does it run like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exhaust Pics

Hope these help , bike runs great , no problems .

IF you want some pics at different points of interest , just email and will do as soon as I can .

You will notice I have a new KTM to my collection , Shes a lovely bike .....

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
exhaust

did you just put bends in the stock exhaust. I will need to try to find a muffler shop to duplicate that.

i like it, and the stock exhaust sounds so lame.

Edwin

·
Registered
3 Posts
exhaust

IF you want some pics at different points of interest , just email and will do as soon as I can .

Great idea, a cheap way to lose some weight,
and change the looks of youur machine.
Me myself bought the full Akra,s, but its a lot of money.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great idea, a cheap way to lose some weight,
and change the looks of youur machine.
Me myself bought the full Akra,s, but its a lot of money.

Personally I LOVE the exhaust coming up the back of this bike - I like the Duke exhaust on the Duke but that mod does nothing for me on the SM, sorry to say but then again that's what makes horse racing

Here is a set of Wings Pipes on my SM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/SteveBerde/690_SM_01.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts

that's the best I've seen so far. Could you uploas a videtube of the sound?

we would really appreciate it, TKYOU

·
Registered
5 Posts
gpr exhausts

Hi guys, been having the same trouble as you all, trying to find the nicest looking exhausts for the bike and, after seeing that under exhaust made by Kapongakid i have to say its the best ive seen so far, and in second place i have 2, these ones if found on ebay and the akrapovics

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KTM-SM-690-Supermoto-GPR-Exhaust-Full-System-GP-Evo-New-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem41547cac41QQitemZ280590330945QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

they look really nice aswell, i think even better than the akrapovic,s.

I wonder what they are like though..

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My opinion is "go for the underbody option". The rest I don't like at all. The limit would be this one:

For that money get the duke header and the REMUS exhaust adapter shown in this thread http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duke/2405-new-exhaust-duke-690-a.html#post5270

and dekat one of your standard cans to weld it to the adapter. You will also be able to screw the duke fender onto it if you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
duke exhaust adaptation

found this guy on supermotojunkie that adapted the duke exhaust to his 690 sm,
what do you guys think?? looks cool right, wonder how the performance and adapting would be like...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts