KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my 790 Adv R for just about one year. I got the quick shift option. Which I really like with one exception. The shift from 1rst to 2nd. It has always been a jerky transition but it seems like more and more 1rst to 2nd shifts are ending up missed and the shift ends with a neutral position. In which case the engine wakes and the gears will rattle. Is this a common experience? I am thinking I will just clutch first to second as continued misses will not fair well for the transmission. It feels like the throw in the shift lever is exceptionally long for this tradition and that you have to make a long fully extended movement in order for the bike to reach 2nd gear. I see a screw adjustment on the shift linkage can I adjust this to engage the transition earlier in the linkage? Or do you all think this is a mechanical warranty issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Grizz, mine does the same going from 1st to 2nd. It seems just as likely to hit neutral than 2nd gear, so I use the clutch from 1st to 2nd. My RPMs probably hit the governor when it stops in neutral which can’t be good. I haven’t had any problems downshifting 2nd to 1st.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I haven't had the quick shift neutral problem but shifting is definitely more clunky in the lower gears. As a result, I usually use the clutch going from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st. That works best for me. The "clunkiness" is not as noticeable off road due to the tire being able to slip more easily.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this seems to be a recurrent problem with the quick shift and transmission linkage. My guess is those of us that are stubborn and have continually hit the 1rst to second transition pretty hard utilizing are going to have this problem. So it looks like first to second is going to be a clutch pull. As noted going down is not a problem. I guess I could bitch but the application is definitely worth it to me. I just wish they would fix it. I may try adjusting the linkage so it engages lower. This may work for street applications and boots, but with oversized Adventure foot wear it may make shifting and issue. Let me see if I adjust linkage if it will improve situation on street as I have this bike set up super Moto. It will just be another step to do to set the bike up for off road. Wheels, Foot pegs and then linkage. First to see if linkage adjustments make any difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have found false neutrals are pretty easy to hit especially after a couple of days hard riding when you are tired, and use the clutch in the lower gears,. I am going to try a Pro Shift kit (link below) which is supposed to help. Given the original does not use a bearing I can see why this can occur if you are not very direct.

Overall though the bike is awesome

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure but to me it just seams like as you come out of 1rst there is a really wide creep between 1rst and second which leave a really wide neutral position when quick shifting. When I use the clutch the spread does not seem that wide. So as with most of you I just clutch 1rst to 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI: I had my dash replaced on my 790 Adventure R due to fogging yesterday under warranty and KTM gave me a free upgrade to Quickshifter+, this makes a dramatic difference to the the up and down quick shifting in all gears, and making 1/2 changes in both directions pretty seamless

1 - 8 of 8 Posts