KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just test drove the 790 Adventure, and I loved it.

Right now, I have a BMW R 1200RS, an Aprilia Tuono Factory and a Triumph Daytona R, all of which I love, but all of course are unsuitable for driving off the asphalt . . . So I have been yearning for something just like this.

My challenge: I have a 30" inseam, and I am 5'7''sh, actually close to 5'6" if I am honest and 100 lbs fully hydrated :)

At any rate, I would love to sample the 790 R, but I know the seat height is probably way beyond my range at 890 MM. Does anyone know if the standard road seat can help reduce the height?

This may be fate telling me to stick with 790 standard. If I do, I would be tempted to substitute the front fender for the R model - purely for frivolous reasons, I feel like this compliments the shape of the bike better.

Thank you in advance your input!

Jeff La Force
Cell 512.966.0022
Austin, Texas

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the 2019 790 standard yesterday, but problems with the ABS auto engaging while going down the interstate and melting the rear brake pad meant driving back the 8 miles to the dealer very carefully and driving the two hours home without. But I've tried both the R and the Standard. I chose the standard because of height as well. I'm 5'7" and just couldn't make the height of the R work. The standard lets you move the seat from the low to high position, and both are lower than the R. Yes, you can get the low seat option for about $200 and put it on the R, but you'll be a little taller than the 790 standard with the high seat setting, but that is still outside of my comfort area when I pull up to stops and have to lean to a side to reach my toes down.
The fender is $100 and worth it if you don't want mud packing in the front tire for when you do off-road with it (that's what I told myself to justify ordering it). Rally Pack (p/n 63500910000) is $200, but I don't recommend getting the Rally Pack added if you don't intend on ever changing out the more street oriented tires for more 50/50 or off-road oriented tires. KTM doesn't recommend leaving level 9 in Rally mode with street tires, and its comparable to Street mode. You can get the Metzeler Karoo 3 tires (90/90-R21, 140/80-R18) for about $205 on revzilla. So for $1k less, I can get a bike I actually fit, spend $500, and have the features I wanted from the R. I don't get the adjustable forks, but the 790 Adventures settings don't seem to be a problem for me (tell will confirm or deny that).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I applied this same logic to my recent purchase of my 790 S. Finally a manufactuer built an adventure touring bike for the rest of us. Thanks KTM. (5’8” 165 lbs).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts