KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 790 Adventure S back in June and I'm starting to think about adding the quick shift and cruise control. Have any of you used these two features? What are your thoughts on the quick shift? Is it worth the $350 charge to flash the software?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just added the quick shifter last week. It’s my first quick shifter, so I don’t have any previous comparisons. I think it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just added the quick shifter last week. It’s my first quick shifter, so I don’t have any previous comparisons. I think it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very cool. I would love to hear how you are liking it so far. Is the shifting still smooth?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had a Quick Shifter on two previous bikes, both BMW's, and it worked flawlessly both up and down. On my 790 however, it is basically unusable for up-shifting. I suspect it's not working properly but even after returning to the dealer for further work, it still doesn't work right. The dealer's answer was to shift at much higher RPM's but that is just like power-shifting which you can do without a Quick Shifter. While it does work marginally better that way, I don't want to have to "wring" it out in each gear before shifting. Believe me, I've tried all the tricks of shifting at various RPM's and under all degrees of acceleration but none of those are the real answer. Another dealer I've talked to thinks he knows how to fix this by calibrating one of the sensors so time will tell. In the meantime, that dealer has advised me to not use it at all so I won't. On a positive note, I have heard from folks on other KTM bikes saying that it works just fine. Hopefully, your experience will be better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had a Quick Shifter on two previous bikes, both BMW's, and it worked flawlessly both up and down. On my 790 however, it is basically unusable for up-shifting. I suspect it's not working properly but even after returning to the dealer for further work, it still doesn't work right. The dealer's answer was to shift at much higher RPM's but that is just like power-shifting which you can do without a Quick Shifter. While it does work marginally better that way, I don't want to have to "wring" it out in each gear before shifting. Believe me, I've tried all the tricks of shifting at various RPM's and under all degrees of acceleration but none of those are the real answer. Another dealer I've talked to thinks he knows how to fix this by calibrating one of the sensors so time will tell. In the meantime, that dealer has advised me to not use it at all so I won't. On a positive note, I have heard from folks on other KTM bikes saying that it works just fine. Hopefully, your experience will be better.
Hmm, that’s interesting. Thanks for the info! I wonder if they could reflash the software and see if that fixes it. Who knows? Have you tried reaching out to KTM about it?

·
Super Moderator
1,930 Posts
That ain't right, my 790 shifting was/is effortless both up and down the box.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No issues for me either. I have yet to notice revmatching on downshifts. I expected to hear the throttle blip, but haven’t. I assume it’s supposed to blip, but once again I’ve never had a quick shifter before.

·
Registered
73 Posts
No issues for me either. I have yet to notice revmatching on downshifts. I expected to hear the throttle blip, but haven’t. I assume it’s supposed to blip, but once again I’ve never had a quick shifter before.
There was definite rev matching on my two Beemer's but none on this bike...yet. I will be taking it to another dealer for a second opinion. I will say this...when the Quick Shifter is working properly, it's a great thing and a very desirable feature.

·
Super Moderator
1,930 Posts
I wonder if the QS/blipper is different on the Adv compared to the Duke then.

Teh Duke is smooth as silk up and down and on the downs you'd be hard pressed to not notice the 'blip' it's fairly apparent instantly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My experience is more similar to Hornblowers in that it seems rough. However, this is my first quickshifter so I wasn't sure what to expect. Since I am hearing that some of us are getting a smooth shiftless shift, I will see if they can reflash the unit.

I ordered cruise control with the bike and it is scheduled to come in early August. Nothing like it for iron butt type days...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer did the flash for free so I took it. I was willing to pay for it, but it takes them so little time... see if you can build the rapport to get them to do it discounted or free. Or go to Rocky Mountain ATV in southern utah and they'll probably do it a lot cheaper, even if you didn't buy the bike from them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealer did the flash for free so I took it. I was willing to pay for it, but it takes them so little time... see if you can build the rapport to get them to do it discounted or free. Or go to Rocky Mountain ATV in southern utah and they'll probably do it a lot cheaper, even if you didn't buy the bike from them.
Wow! That’s awesome!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I still plan on having a second KTM dealer check out my Quick Shifter. Yesterday, I went on a great adventure ride in the Western NC mountains with a couple of old off-road racing buddies. The Quick Shifter worked just fine in the dirt, both up and down. In fact, it worked so well that when I got back on pavement, I tried it again but that didn't work out so well. That got me to thinking whether or not the Quick Shifter is working at all. What I'm thinking is this gearbox is so good that, under certain conditions, you can shift just fine without the clutch. For example, in the dirt at slower speeds, you can shift without the clutch anyway, whether you have a Quick Shifter or not. Under acceleration on the pavement, shifting without the clutch is really abrupt and, with the Quick Shifter, it should be pretty smooth. After all, that's the entire purpose of the Quick Shifter, isn't it? So, again, my latest thinking is that my Quick Shifter isn't working at all. In the meantime, I won't be using it on the road until this other dealer can check it out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hornblower
Thank you for the critique. Because it feels rough, I haven't been using the quick shifter. I will elevate back to the dealer for discussion mentioning your post.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 790 Duke and found the quick shifter was a little rough. Then I experimented and found that if I held the throttle steady it helped a lot. One down shifts I find if I completely close the throttle and then push down it all works fine. If I forget and try to blip the throttle it seems to over come the computer. Pretty much the same on the up shifts. If I hold the throttle open and the more open the better it seems to work. It does not like you trying to help it. Over all it is the best of the ones I have. My Ducati 899 is only up and it works pretty well but the same thing do not try to close the throttle let the computer do the work. My MC Dragster is also up only and you really need to be wide open and have at least 6 to 8 K rpm to make it work right. Keep in mind the rev limit is something well past 13K so 6 to 8 is not that high for that bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These are all interesting comments. It seems like some bikes it's working great on and then others it is not. I think I'll go ahead and have my dealer do the software flash and see how it works for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I purchased the cruise control for my 790 Adventure when I bought the bike last month. The parts department called me and let me know that the parts for Cruise Control are on back order and won't hit dealers until September. I was what you'd call: "disappointed". I'll update more once I get that part installed. Bike just had the 620 mile service, getting it back from the shop this weekend. Looking forward to riding the bike with the computer unlocked now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Chuckle, I purchased cruise control when I ordered the bike in January. Still waiting. Apparently they released the bike knowing the accessories would be arriving almost 6 months later but did not tell the dealers.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts