KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 790 Duke and found the quick shifter was a little rough. Then I experimented and found that if I held the throttle steady it helped a lot. One down shifts I find if I completely close the throttle and then push down it all works fine.
Based on my experience with Quick Shifters, I would say that is the normal and accepted way to do it. In fact, on my Beemers, if you do it any other way, it may not shift at all. Unfortunately, this approach has not helped on my KTM so it's back to the dealer I go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There was definite rev matching on my two Beemer's but none on this bike...yet. I will be taking it to another dealer for a second opinion. I will say this...when the Quick Shifter is working properly, it's a great thing and a very desirable feature.
Having had the Beemer's as well, a KTM 1290SAS and three rides on the 790R with quickshifter, your's should work like butter. It's not right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here's an update on my Quick Shifter malfunction...I took the bike to another dealer for a second opinion. They agreed it wasn't working properly and, after a call to KTM to get the latest procedure, they went through the download again and test rode the bike. I think, more than likely, it's working as it should now. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is OK but not quite as slick as my Beemer. After that, upshifiting is pretty slick with the higher gears working best. Downshifting is very slick except going from 2nd back to 1st. There, it's a bit abrupt but that's the case on my Beemer as well. My son's Quick Shifter on his 790 Duke works almost identically to mine now so i think this, as they say, is what it is. I'm pretty satisfied with it now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 790 Duke and found the quick shifter was a little rough. Then I experimented and found that if I held the throttle steady it helped a lot. One down shifts I find if I completely close the throttle and then push down it all works fine. If I forget and try to blip the throttle it seems to over come the computer. Pretty much the same on the up shifts. If I hold the throttle open and the more open the better it seems to work. It does not like you trying to help it.
Well said. This is exactly my experience as well. You are exactly right. It does not like you trying to help it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thank you for the input. I have the quick shifter, but only tried it a few times since it feels like it pounds too hard. I will try again with your recommendations.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an Adventure R over in the UK, ridden 1200 miles and the cruise control is good, not so pleased with the switch on the heated grips though - it looks like aftermarket! Will ask the dealer to enable quick shift, although I wouldn’t expect a deal :(
My only problem so far, when changing up from 1st to 2nd it often hits neutral even with a positive shift. Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
73 Posts
My only problem so far, when changing up from 1st to 2nd it often hits neutral even with a positive shift. Anyone else had this problem?
I have to wonder if the problem could be the adjustment of the shift lever. If so, the good news is that this shifter is very easy to adjust. After installing aftermarket foot pegs, I had to adjust mine almost to its limit to get the right position.

·
Registered
77 Posts
They just recently got the cruise control switch in and I am picking the bike up today with it installed. I am happy to hear it works as expected. I have had them in the past that were not smooth.

Chuckle, at least they installed your heated grips. The KTM unit that came in for mine was faulty and they still haven't gotten a replacement (two months and waiting). Apparently there was a batch of bad units.

I have noticed when shifting from 1st to 2nd I sometimes am surprised by neutral. I have always assumed I just didn't push hard enough. In retrospect, I need to pay more attention and see when it happens. I guess it didn't bother me too much since on my Harley it is very hard to find neutral even when you are trying.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was worried about the 790 adventure Cruise control since the service guy thought it only worked in the higher gears and over 40. However, that is not the case! I was happily using cruise control in second gear at 30 mph. OK, why would I want that? Well, I always enjoy balancing around twisties with no hands... Everyone has something stupid they enjoy.
Also, it shows the set cruise speed on the speedo. Nice addition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my 790 Adventure S back in June and I'm starting to think about adding the quick shift and cruise control. Have any of you used these two features? What are your thoughts on the quick shift? Is it worth the $350 charge to flash the software?
Can you actually add the quickshifter later on?
Does this require adding any "hardware" in addition to the ecu flash?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can you actually add the quickshifter later on?
Does this require adding any "hardware" in addition to the ecu flash?
I see Turtleman answered your question. Having had a Quick Shifter on 3 different bikes, I can say that it's an awesome feature when it works properly. When the shifts are smooth and fast, it's very habit-forming and can quickly become your favorite feature. On my 790, I would describe the Quick Shifter as just OK. It certainly doesn't work as fluidly as on my Beemers. As a result, I use the Quick Shifter on my 790 "selectively". Still, in retrospect, I would pay to have this feature enabled.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchased my 790 Adventure S back in June and I'm starting to think about adding the quick shift and cruise control. Have any of you used these two features? What are your thoughts on the quick shift? Is it worth the $350 charge to flash the software?
Cruise control is AWESOME! I had mine installed in September for $327 total (switch, installation/software and tax), and it is definitely worth it on long trips. Last month I did over 1,100 miles in 3 days sometimes going 5-10 minutes at a time with no hands. My only issue is it occasionally kicks off going over a big bump, hence I learned to grab the handlebars when I see a bump coming. Flipping the switch forwards quickly resets the previous speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Five weeks and 1100 miles in on my KTM 790 Adventure and so far, so good! Bought it stock (no upgrades/software flashes) and initially thought the quick shift was included, but discovered that was not the case after reading the manual and 100+ miles in. However, and even without the menu option, I'm able to shift effortlessly up and down without the clutch as if it has quick shift engaged, with or without throttle (but it definitely quick shifts smoother around 4000-6000 RPM going up and around 3000-4000 RPM going down). My "Quick-shifting" between 1st and 2nd does feel a bit abrupt, but smooth through the higher gears. Has anyone had a similar experience?

As far as the first service goes, I changed the oil and replaced the filter at 650 miles myself. Taking her to the dealer tomorrow for the remaining services and to activate both quick shift (to at least have the menu option to turn on/off) and rally mode. Also going to have heated grips and cruise control installed. I'll post if I notice anything different about the quick shift, but if I didn't know better, I swear it's already activated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Five weeks and 1100 miles in on my KTM 790 Adventure and so far, so good! Bought it stock (no upgrades/software flashes) and initially thought the quick shift was included, but discovered that was not the case after reading the manual and 100+ miles in. However, and even without the menu option, I'm able to shift effortlessly up and down without the clutch as if it has quick shift engaged, with or without throttle (but it definitely quick shifts smoother around 4000-6000 RPM going up and around 3000-4000 RPM going down). My "Quick-shifting" between 1st and 2nd does feel a bit abrupt, but smooth through the higher gears. Has anyone had a similar experience?

As far as the first service goes, I changed the oil and replaced the filter at 650 miles myself. Taking her to the dealer tomorrow for the remaining services and to activate both quick shift (to at least have the menu option to turn on/off) and rally mode. Also going to have heated grips and cruise control installed. I'll post if I notice anything different about the quick shift, but if I didn't know better, I swear it's already activated.
I did not purchase the Quickshifter, but mine works just like yours. At my 600 mile service, the mechanic took it for a ride and said the Quickshifter seems to be on. I can’t turn it off but have never had any problems shifting off-road. I very seldom use it downshifting, but love using it accelerating from a stop light or passing a car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I checked the 790 Adventure owners manual for the quick shifter and it says to use the shift lever “without changing the throttle twist grip position.”

·
Registered
25 Posts
I checked the 790 Adventure owners manual for the quick shifter and it says to use the shift lever “without changing the throttle twist grip position.”
I have shifted to 4th, 5th, and 6th gears at full throttle and it worked perfect. There is no way I can use the clutch and accelerate as smoothly and quickly as the Quickshifter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So my 790 Adv R has 1,50 miles +/- I have had the quick shifter from day one. I have a 2102 BMW K1300S but it does not has quick shift down only up. The KTM it is not as smooth as the BMW in particular in first gear. I find that if I am not accelerating hard it tends to be rather harsh. If I am accelerating hard it shifts like butter from 2 thru 6. If I am accelerating hard and slightly let off the throttle during shift sequence at first gear this smooths it out tremendously. In the end analysis, I love it. Down shifting is flawless in all gears.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So my 790 Adv R has 1,50 miles +/- I have had the quick shifter from day one. I have a 2102 BMW K1300S but it does not has quick shift down only up. The KTM it is not as smooth as the BMW in particular in first gear. I find that if I am not accelerating hard it tends to be rather harsh. If I am accelerating hard it shifts like butter from 2 thru 6. If I am accelerating hard and slightly let off the throttle during shift sequence at first gear this smooths it out tremendously. In the end analysis, I love it. Down shifting is flawless in all gears.
Grizz, I have never had a BMW, but my 790R Quickshifter works just like your. It is smooth downshifting in idle and up shifting during hard acceleration but a little bit jerky when not accelerating hard. I use the clutch unless I am accelerating like a hooligan, then the Quickshifter is smoother and faster than me. I installed cruise control, but not the Quickshifter. The bike came with it on, and I can’t turn it off.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts