KTM Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Grizz, I have never had a BMW, but my 790R Quickshifter works just like your. It is smooth downshifting in idle and up shifting during hard acceleration but a little bit jerky when not accelerating hard. I use the clutch unless I am accelerating like a hooligan, then the Quickshifter is smoother and faster than me. I installed cruise control, but not the Quickshifter. The bike came with it on, and I can’t turn it off.
Yes same thing and it is enabled in the system but if you get the MTC/ABS to fail the quickshifter shuts down as well. I did a little conversion on my 790 and had 17" wheels made for a supermoto setup and initial the MTC/ABS system failed and the Quick shifter along with it. here are some pics of the beast in Supermoto mode .
IMG_1557.jpeg
IMG_1556.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn’t think about, but I heard the MTC is probably what kicks off the cruise control over bumps because it detects a slight wheel spin as the tire bounces. Now I am wondering if changing the slip to 1 would be better. I usually keep my slip set on 7 on the road, next time I set the cruise, I will try setting slip 1 vs 9 over bumps. Maybe KTM can push a software update to help fix this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had a Quick Shifter on two previous bikes, both BMW's, and it worked flawlessly both up and down. On my 790 however, it is basically unusable for up-shifting. I suspect it's not working properly but even after returning to the dealer for further work, it still doesn't work right. The dealer's answer was to shift at much higher RPM's but that is just like power-shifting which you can do without a Quick Shifter. While it does work marginally better that way, I don't want to have to "wring" it out in each gear before shifting. Believe me, I've tried all the tricks of shifting at various RPM's and under all degrees of acceleration but none of those are the real answer. Another dealer I've talked to thinks he knows how to fix this by calibrating one of the sensors so time will tell. In the meantime, that dealer has advised me to not use it at all so I won't. On a positive note, I have heard from folks on other KTM bikes saying that it works just fine. Hopefully, your experience will be better.
strange I have the quick shifter on the 2019 model and it is working perfectly well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
strange I have the quick shifter on the 2019 model and it is working perfectly well.
Nino--If you read further, my subsequent posts explained the software initially was not enabled properly by the dealer and when it eventually was done right, the Quick Shifter worked OK. Still, IMHO, it doesn't work quite as smoothly as that feature on several Beemer's I've had. To say yours worked perfectly well, I would have to ask, compared to what?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did some interstate riding with cruise control and Slip set to 1, and the cruise didn’t kick off over bumps. I normally keep Slip on 7 (favorite number), and the cruise did kick off over bumps, so from now on I will cruise in Slip 1. Has anyone else noticed the cruise not kicking off as easy with lower Slip settings?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Went over train tracks with cruise set at 55 mph and slip 1 and the CC kicked off. So I guess there is no solution to preventing the cruise from kicking off. I wish there was a way to take the Traction Control sensor out of the cruise control system.
CC is still a great feature and well worth getting for the 790, I can live with the occasional kick off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My experience with the quick shifter on my "R" model has been great. I feel bad that some people have been dealing with problems. When you spend this much mula on a bike it should work. It's just not right.

My bike had the feature enabled from new, but I hear that all you are paying for is the ability to turn it off if you want. It's there on every bike no matter what from what I hear.

Do I use it??? Not a whole lot. I ride probably 70% off road and it is handy for downshifting when standing and you're crawling uphill on rocks in 2nd gear and need to get to 1st in a hurry though.

I leave it on all the time and just use the clutch most of the time. I installed the Camel ADV "One finger clutch" kit. It's a new linkage kit that reduces the clutch pull effort from 15lbs to about 10lbs, and it changes the annoying friction zone from on/off to a real friction zone you can work with.

I purchased my 790 Adventure S back in June and I'm starting to think about adding the quick shift and cruise control. Have any of you used these two features? What are your thoughts on the quick shift? Is it worth the $350 charge to flash the software?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The quick shifter is nice basically I only use the clutch to get off the line. Is it worth $350 that is a personal decision. To me yes.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts