KTM Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am starting to do a lot of off road, I am never one who will be rock jumping with a 790 Adventure R. Having said that, I have been running into hard ridges going over hills. I am thinking of adding some additional protection for the engine and gas tank. Touratech has a skid plate insert and a set of crash bars which seem reasonably light. Is anyone else looking to add protection? Is it necessary?

·
Registered
73 Posts
While I am starting to do a lot of off road, I am never one who will be rock jumping with a 790 Adventure R. Having said that, I have been running into hard ridges going over hills. I am thinking of adding some additional protection for the engine and gas tank. Touratech has a skid plate insert and a set of crash bars which seem reasonably light. Is anyone else looking to add protection? Is it necessary?
This looks pretty interesting:
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-skid-plate-engine-guard-for-ktm-790-adventure-r-19

·
Registered
27 Posts
I installed some of the Motech engine guards. Simple-ish to install. Look great. Obviously, this is on my 790S, but same-same.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are all good options. Thank you everyone for your input. Funny enough, I am still on the fence. The KTM parts person continues to say the gas tank is heavy and bullet proof.

The caveat is the 790 Adventurer who was doing a wheely down the interstate at speed and dropped the bike. It skidded through the tank and the bike burned up. I not sure how but the rider apparently walked away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm thinking of adding the touratech skid plate reinforcement. Does anyone have experience with it and/or know the weight of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marlopez, I don't have the answer, but the Touratech unit looks like a reasonable compromise for light weight engine protection.

I looked at the SW Motech bashplate tankguard which Hornblower mentioned above and it weighs 17#.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I spoke with Touratech today and they said their plate is 4lbs. I'm going to order it. I'll keep you all posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Using the SW Motech ,they are good looking and efficient.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In my case, adding protection is probably not really necessary but still, adding a good skid plate is like insurance and if you can add something that also looks great, then why not? My choice was the skid plate from Black Dog Cycle Works. It was an easy install and I think it looks great too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts