KTM Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST BOUGHT A 2020 790 R WITH 120 MI. SO PRETTY MUCH A BRAND NEW BIKE. HAD BEEN SITTING ON SHOWROOM FLOOR FOR A WHILE WHEN I PURCHASED IT. NOTICED IT WAS HARD TO START THAT DAY BUT WAS WRITTEN OFF AS JUST BEEN SITTING A WHILE. GOT IT HOME VIA TRAILER BECAUSE IT IS 15DEGREES AND ICED OVER ROADS. PULLED IT IN SHOP CRANKED IT. NEXT DAY CAME OUT AND CRANKED IT NOTICING THE MULTIPLE TRIES TO GET IT TO START. IM AN OLD SCHOOL 2-STROKE GUY, SO I SPIN IT OVER WITH SLIGHT THROTTLE TO KEEP IT FROM DYING WHEN IT HITS. WORKED JUST LIKE I THOUGHT IT WOULD. WARMED UP AND LET IT IDLE FOR 20+- MINUTES. CAME OUT THE NEXT DAY TRIED TO START IT, IT HIT AND DIED A COUPLE OF TIMES UNTIL FINALLY ALL IT WILL DO IS SPIN OVER. THIS WAS THREE DAYS AGO AND IT STILL WONT START. IVE CHECKED FUEL PETCOCKS, THEY ARE OPEN. IVE CHECKED FUSES, THEY ARE ALL GOOD. IVE DONE THE 1. 2. 3.s OF THE STARTING PROCEDURE AS STATED BY MANUAL. I CAN ONLY FIGURE WHEN I CRACKED THE THROTTLE WHEN TRYING TO START MUST HAVE CAUSED BIGGER PROBLEMS THAN WHAT I COULD HAVE ASSUMED. I HAVE SINCE NOTICE IN BIG BOLD LETTERS "DO NOT OPEN THROTTLE WHILE STARTING".
I JUST WANT TO RIDE WITHOUT THE WORRY. SO MUCH FOR A GOOD STRESS RELIEVER.
"KTM, READY TO RACE......WHEN, IF IT CRANKS"

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would take the battery out and give it a good charge.
I had my SDGT in the cold garage all winter and trickle charged the battery till I got a green light . Thinking the battery was now full of charge I tried to start the bike yesterday for the first time since November and it struggled to turn over a few times. Then I got an ECU failure light followed by a final crank and it started. I was having it picked up for a new tire and while it was at the shop they put the battery on a charger and now its good. My point is, that these bikes need decent battery power to start and when its cold even more so.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
My thoughts exactly....... the stock batteries seem to be minimal at best...... and if your 790 has been sitting a long time, it may now have a very weak battery in need of a proper full charge instead of a trickle charge. Does your battery charger have a 'snow & ice' function? Maybe that will give it the boost it needs...... Cold weather also affects battery performance.

PS Every time the bike is 'started' (in the garage) yet not ridden, the battery is depleted even more. It needs a good 30-100 mile ride to recharge what was taken out by the start up demand. Some 790's were hard to start when new and tight, so maybe this is also a factor- at least until you get some good weather and can get out and give it plenty of action......(y)
Don't baby that motor for break in, they take longer than Japanese bikes to run in, so show it who's boss when the sun is shining ;)

Reactions: AlanS65

·
Registered
217 Posts
The best way to solve the problem is to move away from a place where you need special clothes to stay alive for part of the year.
That nixes all of Canada, big parts of the USA and a lot of New Zealand and the bottom end of South America. Stay in the middle of these places and your bike will definitely start easier.
Another benefit is that you can ride for more than 4 months of the year like me in Canada!!
I'm not bitter... I swear:cautious:
IMG_5277.JPG

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ooooooh, look at all that fluffy white snow........... :devilish:.......... :D

Reactions: Oldbags52

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ISSUE FIXED, CHANGED BOTH PLUGS AND FIRED UP ON THE FIRST HIT. NEVER WOULDA THOUGHT PLUGS WOULDVE BEEN FOULED ON A INJECTED MOTOR THAT IS PRACTICALLY NEW. MY TWO STROKE DOESN'
The best way to solve the problem is to move away from a place where you need special clothes to stay alive for part of the year.
That nixes all of Canada, big parts of the USA and a lot of New Zealand and the bottom end of South America. Stay in the middle of these places and your bike will definitely start easier.
Another benefit is that you can ride for more than 4 months of the year like me in Canada!!
I'm not bitter... I swear:cautious: View attachment 100680
YEAH, SUCKS FOR YOU! IM IN NW TENNESSEE, BUT IT HAS BEEN IN THE 'TEENS FOR THE PAST 10 DAYS OR SO......BUT IT IS BACK IN THE HIGH 40'S TO LOW 50'S NOW. I HAVE NO DESIRE TO LIVE ANY FARTHER NORTH, ACTUALLY WOULD LIVE ON THE BEACH IF I DIDN'T HAVE TO WORK🤣
T FOUL THAT EASY!!

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
471 Posts
I was surprised at the solution when my '16 SDGT would not start. The battery would spin the starter just fine... very briskly in fact. Over and over and over again. But the engine just would not fire. This was after sitting for one week in an unheated garage, with temps in the 30°-40°F range.

After changing the fuel pump and filters, it still would not start. Then I found the solution: an over-night battery charge. (Check the simple stuff first).

It seems that a battery strong enough to spin the starter may NOT be strong enough to fire the plugs and injectors. Even though my volt meter read 12.2v at rest, and 11.2 while cranking, that was simply not enough juice to get the engine to fire. It needed a full 12v while cranking to fire up, and an over night charge did the trick. I now have a Battery Tender, and jumper cables in hand, and a jump start pack on order. (I also have an extra, barely used fuel pump assembly).

So, if your starter spins, but the engine still does not fire, try an over night battery charge first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts