KTM Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your dealer is supposed to test ride your bike during the 620 mile service, so they should figure out the shake problem. I have heard of front brake rotors causing issues and out of round front wheels due to spokes not right. Maybe the fork triple clamps or steering tube bearings are not adjusted right. I’ve never had a motorcycle as smooth as my 790R at speeds over 100 mph. At really slow speeds I get some vibration on pavement since I put on the K60 rear tire, but I don’t feel it off-road or at speeds above 10 mph on roads.
I‘m close to needing my 9300 service and hope the recalled rear brake line get in so I can get both done together. My rear brake has been flawless, and it stays in “Off-road” mode.
Thanks Don, I agree they “should” figure it out, but so far after just about everyone in the dealership has ridden it, they can’t. It’s good to hear of an example of a 790 that runs smooth, because they’re telling me it’s normal for ADV bikes to move around like mine is doing...I know better. They are good people, I just think they’re stumped. Hopefully something will click this time around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I lifted the bike up today and gently spun the front wheel and noticed about half of a rotation was "sticky" and the other half was loose, free spin...would that be the brakes or rotors possibly causing the wobble given the grab release aspect of tire rotation? Or is this normal? Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I didn’t know a Dodge dually diesel could go that fast, but I followed about a quarter mile behind one at speeds between 90-124 mph for 30 minutes before he turned off. Stock 790 R fender, mirrors, hand guards and Karoo 3 front with 10k miles, K60 rear, Rade windscreen and wind deflectors below headlight removed. Bike was smooth, no head shake at all, wind noise, but buffeting not bad. Still haven’t ridden in rain with K60 rear, my Karoo 3 front still good, and no tickets yet. Guess I’ve been lucky.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You know guys riding the stock Karoo 3’s are going to give you shake and as all of who bought them new there was the 105 mph max speed sticker there for that reason. With my Warp9 racing 17” super Moto setup with this bike and Metzler Sportec M7RR tires none of it. It rides like a dream. So the moral here use the correct tool for a job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I took the bike to a different dealer last week to get a 2nd (4th tech) opinion. These guys agreed that at 35-50 mph there is a noticeable hop in the front, but they think that it might actually have something to do with the rear alignment. Of course, KTM won’t cover those labor costs, unless they find something obvious that warrants a claim. So I’m stuck with rolling the dice for a dealer to take everything apart and look for a problem that May or may not exist. At least these guys agreed that it doesn’t ride like it should. My original dealer has looked at the tires closely on 3 occasions and tell me there isn’t anything there that will warrant a claim. SO I guess I’m going to buy new tires and see if that works. Can’t hurt to have some more off-road capable tires on hand anyway.

·
Registered
314 Posts
BP, I have no idea what would cause your front tire hop in only that speed range. I replaced my DRZ400 front with a Kenda tire that had a slight hop initially, but it went away after a few weeks on its own. I would try a new front tire first.
Also, I took off the wind deflectors under the headlight on my 790. I get less wind buffeting and no head shake at high speeds. I hit some heavy rain yesterday (had rain gear on) and didn’t notice any extra water on my lap with my R/G screen. I did 540 miles of pavement yesterday (some interstate, but mostly 2 lane highways) and was comfortable; something I could never do on my DRZ.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took the bike to a different dealer last week to get a 2nd (4th tech) opinion. These guys agreed that at 35-50 mph there is a noticeable hop in the front, but they think that it might actually have something to do with the rear alignment. Of course, KTM won’t cover those labor costs, unless they find something obvious that warrants a claim. So I’m stuck with rolling the dice for a dealer to take everything apart and look for a problem that May or may not exist. At least these guys agreed that it doesn’t ride like it should. My original dealer has looked at the tires closely on 3 occasions and tell me there isn’t anything there that will warrant a claim. SO I guess I’m going to buy new tires and see if that works. Can’t hurt to have some more off-road capable tires on hand anyway.
Hi
I bought a 790 Adventure a few weeks ago, and have been having exactly the same issue as you.
It started out with a "wobble" - I also got to experience the adrenalin rush when letting go of the bars, just like you. Dealer took it back, rebalanced the front and also found the forks not being aligned in the clamps by 5mm. After I got the bike back, the tank-slapping was gone, but I still had the "hop" you describe. Dealer had me go to another dealer for 2nd opinion, and they said everything was fine and blamed the tires.
I still have about 1500mi left on my tires, and I'm a cheapskate 😂, so I will live with it until I get new tires.
Have you been able to solve you issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I replaced both tires with Anakee Adventures. No difference - the problem still persists.
Dealership offered to try to get a new front wheel out of KTM under warrantee, but I measured the wheel with a dial meter and it seems the wheel is out-of-round laterally by only 1.27mm. This is not enough for KTM to replace the wheel - they want to see a wobble of 3mm at least.
I am so frustrated with this problem - it might be time to say goodbye to this bike...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey lads,

Have Had a 790 S for a year now. Just replaced the front tires with trailmax missions, and had the rotors and pads replaced for the second time. The wheel was out of true and had a separate dealer correct that. Still getting a wobble around 65-75kmh. Took it to the dealer and they checked the steering bearings and said it was all snug and good to go. It is far more noticeable slowing down through that range and ‘loading’ the bike up front using rear brake only or letting off the throttle at those speeds. Goes away above it and below it.

Wondering if there’s something else to check?

·
Registered
314 Posts
A year ago, my 790R had a slight wobble around 45 mph. My dealer balance the wheel which fixed it. How many miles do you have on your S? I’m almost to 25,000 miles and still have the original front brakes, but I replaced the pads on the rear brakes once. I’m on my 2nd front tire and 3rd rear, recently replaced chain and sprockets, and the clutch cable frayed and was replaced. I’m not ready to trade it for an 890R yet, it still runs great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, some updates here. Long story short, after changing the front wheel the wobble was completely gone and the bike has now 5000 miles with no issues.

Video of the wobble:

The long version, as explained in my father's email to KTM:
My son lives in England and I live in Argentina for 2 years we have been planning a motorcycle trip to the backcountry Trans America Trail (N. Carolina to Oregon). We first planned to purchase 2 Tenere 700, but a friend of ours suggested looking into KTMs.
We finally decided to switch to KTMs due to the more technology in the bikes. He went for the 890 and I for the 390. We ordered the bikes around Nov. 2021 in Miami and were told that the 390 would be in by Feb. 2022 and the 890 in March. We traveled by the end of February and waited and waited with no news from KTM. Our dealer said the 390 was rescheduled with no fixed date and the 890 would be coming in March. As we could not wait any longer we decided to go back to work for one more month and come back when the bikes arrived.
I purchased 2021 390 Adv paying it as a 2022 model and my son´s 890 Adv. R arrived in early April. We came back to Miami and started adapting the bikes for the trip. That’s when all the problems started.
My 390 Adv. has a dashboard problem, it goes off from time to time while riding and I need to restart the bike to get it to light up again.
My son´s 890 problem was much worse, it came with a handlebar wobble and we were told that this was a tire problem, that we needed to run the tire in and it would go away.
So we started the trip on the 1st of May and 2 days later, when we were in Ocala the wobble got worse so we went into KTM´s local dealer in Ocala (Ride Now), which checked it and said this wobble was not normal, they attributed it to the front rim and called KTM for the warranty, but KTM denied the repair or to change of rim because it had a 1 mm deviation and that this was perfectly normal.
We then contacted KTM directly and spoke to Mr. Justin Muscott who under no circumstance wanted to help us, even when the technicians from RideNow said the bike had a problem. I then wanted to send a video but he even refused to give me his e-mail and that the inspection of the bike done in Ocala had to be paid for by us because it was a maintenance problem ¨not a warranty problem¨.
After a whole day in the Ocala Dealer (RideNow) seeing our discontent with KTM did not charge us for all the work they did.
Next, we decided to contact Palmetto MotorSports where we bought the 890, and Todd the manager said that if we went back there he would like to check it. So my son drove all the way back there and after checking the bike they offered to put a new front wheel to see what happens. They did this and the problem was solved, evidently, the rim was the problem, and KTM would not admit it.
We lost 2 precious days and had a lot of worries until the problem was finally solved thanks to the dealer that sold the bike but left us a sour feeling about how KTM treats its customers.
Our case is under the VIN No and I´m enclosing a video my son recorded on the problem that Mr. Justin Muscott did not want to receive. After this issue we started hearing and seeing several videos of riders with warranty problems from KTM and I sincerely hope you change your attitude, we invested a lot of money on this trip and have 6.000 miles ahead of us, that is the reason we bought brand new bikes, for their warranty.

Hope this helps.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts