KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some people with the same issue on the Adv Rider forum, but wanted to post it here because the topic kind of died without a clear answer.

Very often (not just the first cold start of the day), the bike dies after the initial startup and takes multiple starts for the engine to stay running. After 3 tries or so, then I’ll rev the throttle to give the engine a nudge to turnover. This works, but it shouldn’t be a normal occurrence. Thoughts?

Note that I have been waiting to start it up until after I hear the buzz of the fuel pump stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same thing happens in my 1090. Seems to happen less when I pay attention to the startup process and everything light up before starting. Makes me wonder if it's from not letting the fuel pump prime.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Same thing happens in my 1090. Seems to happen less when I pay attention to the startup process and everything light up before starting. Makes me wonder if it's from not letting the fuel pump prime.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I think you could be on to something there. Mine seems to do better when I let it fully prime.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine does the same thing, took 3 tries today to get running, I'm wondering if gas brand has any thing to do with it.last tank was Mobil super and it didn't seem to want to start easily with that.I've been primarily using BP super and that seems to be pretty good, I've been wondering the same thing,one would think that it should fires right up on the first try. I only try to start after the fuel pump buzz stops and everthing is lit, seemed to start better on its original tank of gas.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I first got the 790 adventure it would occasionally take 3 trys to start. It was almost as if it wanted a choke since it started and died. Now that it has a 1000 miles it starts more consistently, but still may die once.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2019 790 AdvS does the same thing. It routinely takes 3 attempts to start it. That is a lot of wear and tear on the starter and battery. What gives? There is only 63 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow. I didn't even think about fuel being the problem. Mine was doing it for awhile but stopped doing it right before the first service so I felt weird bringing it up and not being able to replicate.

It was fine for the duration of a 700 mile trip, then was hard starting again the next morning. I had gassed up at the station near my house on the way home! I'll have to run that tank out, switch stations and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts
Maybe not related, but when the 500 EXC/350 EXC came out with fuel injection, there
was a starting issue dealing with the throttle position sensor being off (out of the factory).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Folks
"Thank you for the information."
Lessons learned for the 790 Adv R...
1) I do need to make sure I let the engine prime before just jumping on the starter. The lower gas tank position does seem to take more time to prime the engine. I tended to click and flick..
2) The engine is sensitive to the brand of gas I use. I previously never paid attention. BP seems to work well.
3) I will have the throttle position sensor checked my next time in the shop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The idea that a modern vehicle manufactured for the use of modern fuels is in some way picky about one brand of gasoline over another brand of gasoline is at the edge of ridiculous. I certainly do not mean this as a personal attack on your knowledge or experience with motorcycles or gasoline. Spending $19,000 on a new bike should mean, at the absolute least, it starts on the first time and not the fifth. Some moron recently said to me “KTMs don’t like the cold.” To which I replied, “That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard anyone say. It isn’t 1958 anymore. You push the button and it starts.” If a manufacture of vehicles can figure out how to get an engine to start reliably then they should get out of the business. I’m taking this thing back to the dealer I bought it from 1 week ago and they will fix it or they will give me another that does start. And if they can’t do that, I’ll file a fraud claim.

I do absolutely love this bike. Super comfortable. Gas mileage is solid. A joy to ride. But I’m not some techie coder guzzling Mountain Dew and Cool Ranch Doritos and riding around on a new motorcycle with matching jacket-helmet-boots-gloves and spending all day on Amazon trying to figure out which spine protector to buy. I work extremely long hours for the money I make and I didn’t bat an eye when I signed on the dotted line for a bike the dealer refused to negotiate on. I paid full MSRP. The button says “START” and that is what it will do. Anything else is an excuse. Don’t be a sucker.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Upjettr
You may live were gas is all the same, but not everyone does. For my toys I buy everything from regular with ethanol to 110 octane non-ethanol leaded. The best overall is 98 octane non-ethanol. When you live in the boonies and have no name gas stations you will notice a definite difference in gasolines.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve just gotten used to the fact that when I start it cold, or after a few hours of not running, I give it one solid rev. That does the trick I feel like a Harley guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
The idea that a modern vehicle manufactured for the use of modern fuels is in some way picky about one brand of gasoline over another brand of gasoline is at the edge of ridiculous. I certainly do not mean this as a personal attack on your knowledge or experience with motorcycles or gasoline. Spending $19,000 on a new bike should mean, at the absolute least, it starts on the first time and not the fifth. Some moron recently said to me “KTMs don’t like the cold.” To which I replied, “That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard anyone say. It isn’t 1958 anymore. You push the button and it starts.” If a manufacture of vehicles can figure out how to get an engine to start reliably then they should get out of the business. I’m taking this thing back to the dealer I bought it from 1 week ago and they will fix it or they will give me another that does start. And if they can’t do that, I’ll file a fraud claim.

I do absolutely love this bike. Super comfortable. Gas mileage is solid. A joy to ride. But I’m not some techie coder guzzling Mountain Dew and Cool Ranch Doritos and riding around on a new motorcycle with matching jacket-helmet-boots-gloves and spending all day on Amazon trying to figure out which spine protector to buy. I work extremely long hours for the money I make and I didn’t bat an eye when I signed on the dotted line for a bike the dealer refused to negotiate on. I paid full MSRP. The button says “START” and that is what it will do. Anything else is an excuse. Don’t be a sucker.
... agreed

·
Registered
62 Posts

While my "knowledge" of gasoline may be limited I'm only reporting what I have experienced, there was a noticeable difference between Mobil and BP use this info for what it's worth I really don't care. I find it highly amusing that you end your rant with "don't be a sucker" when you paid 19,000 for this bike, thanks for the laugh, I really needed it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I appreciated your post, I'm in the fuel business and there are differences. The base fuels are pretty much the same, it's the additve recipes that set them apart. I don't have the 790 but I can tell you that I have a 525 EXC Racing that will barely start when I have gotten some different fuels. I'm sure I'll get bashed on this, but on a trip I was only able to get 85 octane / non ethanol fuel for my SA and though I was not hammering on the bike I was able to gain in fuel mileage and the bike seem to perform well. Take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
30 Posts
While my "knowledge" of gasoline may be limited I'm only reporting what I have experienced, there was a noticeable difference between Mobil and BP use this info for what it's worth I really don't care. I find it highly amusing that you end your rant with "don't be a sucker" when you paid 19,000 for this bike, thanks for the laugh, I really needed it.
I get what he's saying .... He was excited and plopped down the cash for this new exciting platform for it to only be tempermental as all the others. We have a local guy who runs a rental business who wrote off KTM's a couple of years ago due to reliability issues. He recently picked up a 790 as understandably people are requesting to ride it. He's already had hard/non starting issues and CEL warnings.

.... Still amused?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Funny I have 700 miles on my 790 adventure and this is just starting for me. It takes me about 3 times to start and I also have to rev it some so it will stay running. I will take note and try a new gas brand.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't think I've ever done this before...decided to read the owner's manual about how to start the engine. The only thing they put in BOLD letters is to NOT open the throttle when starting. They say, " If you open the throttle during the starting procedure, fuel is not injected by the engine management system and the engine cannot start". Like most fuel injected systems I know, I don't touch the throttle until after the engine starts and is running. In spite of this, like many of you, it takes 2 or 3 tries before the engine continues to run. Apparently, this is normal. I have no doubt a good aftermarket tune would fix it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I get what he's saying .... He was excited and plopped down the cash for this new exciting platform for it to only be tempermental as all the others. We have a local guy who runs a rental business who wrote off KTM's a couple of years ago due to reliability issues. He recently picked up a 790 as understandably people are requesting to ride it. He's already had hard/non starting issues and CEL warnings.

.... Still amused?
Yep...::laugh2:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts