KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
The idea that a modern vehicle manufactured for the use of modern fuels is in some way picky about one brand of gasoline over another brand of gasoline is at the edge of ridiculous. I certainly do not mean this as a personal attack on your knowledge or experience with motorcycles or gasoline. Spending $19,000 on a new bike should mean, at the absolute least, it starts on the first time and not the fifth. Some moron recently said to me “KTMs don’t like the cold.” To which I replied, “That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard anyone say. It isn’t 1958 anymore. You push the button and it starts.” If a manufacture of vehicles can figure out how to get an engine to start reliably then they should get out of the business. I’m taking this thing back to the dealer I bought it from 1 week ago and they will fix it or they will give me another that does start. And if they can’t do that, I’ll file a fraud claim.

I do absolutely love this bike. Super comfortable. Gas mileage is solid. A joy to ride. But I’m not some techie coder guzzling Mountain Dew and Cool Ranch Doritos and riding around on a new motorcycle with matching jacket-helmet-boots-gloves and spending all day on Amazon trying to figure out which spine protector to buy. I work extremely long hours for the money I make and I didn’t bat an eye when I signed on the dotted line for a bike the dealer refused to negotiate on. I paid full MSRP. The button says “START” and that is what it will do. Anything else is an excuse. Don’t be a sucker.
Hey, now. I'm a techie coder and only paid 11,000 out the door for my new 1090. I didn't pay way more than I should've to buy a bike in its first year of production, bought a leftover model from the previous year instead.

We all work hard for our stuff, let's not assume things about people based on their occupation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have the same issue. I only have 300 miles on the bike and for the first tank of gas everything was fine. Give the fuel pump a couple seconds to spin up and push the starter button and up and running. At 203 miles I fueled up (Exxon) and the situation started. Of course at first I was just as baffled. It just seamed like the engined died as if it was fuel starved. After a couple of retries I then slightly rotated the throttle while engaging the starter and it would catch and as long as I rotated the throttle enough to keep it at 2,000 rpm plus the engine would run. If I let off the engine will die. If I let the engine race with several wrist twist to get between 2,000 and 3,500 rpm then you can let the throttle go and the engine will idle at 750 rpm. Once warmed up for a minute or two and it’s good. Go figure. The first tank of gas was Shell. Next fill up either BP or Shell and let’s see what will happen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, gas makes a difference, talked to the salesman who sold me my bike, he has a 1090R, he says it's because the bikes run very lean to meet emissions standards and said it is harder to start when cold, exactly my experience, yours may be different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The BoosterPlug advertised on eBay is supposed to fool the engine into a richer mixture at lower rpm though it's not promoted as a cure for hard starting.
Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep...::laugh2:
... When it happens to you .... please keep laughing!

My new 1090 has experienced an oil leak, bad fuel filters, sticky mode button, and now leaking fork seals .... all in less than 3 months. After paying $15k ... yeah, I'm not so amused.

·
Registered
62 Posts
... When it happens to you .... please keep laughing!

My new 1090 has experienced an oil leak, bad fuel filters, sticky mode button, and now leaking fork seals .... all in less than 3 months. After paying $15k ... yeah, I'm not so amused.
I have had my bike for over 3 months and haven't experienced ANY problems.I know 2 guys with 1090Rs both with over 15k miles, no problems, so yeah I'm still laughing.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Whatever. Pettiness and unscientific methodology doesn’t do it for me.

Bought the bike new. Takes three to four tries to start the bike. I’m not keeping a log of barometric pressure, elevation, windage, or how many stars are in the sky at the time of starting - nothing on KTM manual refers to “KTM sometimes have problems with different brands of gas. You’ll figure it out! Have fun!”

I’m going to keep riding it until the 600 service and pass judgment on it then. This is a new model for KTM, so I would expect to have a couple teething issues. I was hoping this forum would be a resource.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Whatever. Pettiness and unscientific methodology doesn’t do it for me.

Bought the bike new. Takes three to four tries to start the bike. I’m not keeping a log of barometric pressure, elevation, windage, or how many stars are in the sky at the time of starting - nothing on KTM manual refers to “KTM sometimes have problems with different brands of gas. You’ll figure it out! Have fun!”

I’m going to keep riding it until the 600 service and pass judgment on it then. This is a new model for KTM, so I would expect to have a couple teething issues. I was hoping this forum would be a resource.
Like I said, salesman told me it's because of lean condition for emission purposes, I have 2,500 miles sometimes it starts on the first try, other times no, use this info for what it is. If someone tells you they notice that the gas makes a difference, thats an observation, not a scientific study. Don't know what your expecting of this site, but i think you should talk to your dealer, good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had my bike for over 3 months and haven't experienced ANY problems.I know 2 guys with 1090Rs both with over 15k miles, no problems, so yeah I'm still laughing.......
I'm happy for you ... unfortunately I can't claim to have had the same experience. Now I'm chasing a leaking fork seal. I guess my bike was assembled either on a Monday or a Friday. Not ok in my book.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to hear that, mine is still ticking along with no issues, I can only report on my experiences, I'm sure all manufacturers have issues, what does your dealer say?

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have a local guy who runs a rental business who wrote off KTM's a couple of years ago due to reliability issues. He recently picked up a 790 as understandably people are requesting to ride it. He's already had hard/non starting issues and CEL warnings.
Same guy was evidently still having issues with his new 790 .... His words were "Hard starting and other issues" ... dropped it off for service and evaluation and the dealer has reported back that it needs to have the engine replaced? ... 5000 miles on the clock?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don’t give much credence to thirdhand stories. I’d be interested to hear him tell his story. Other than the hard starting, and the feeling like the front fork is flopping around in the frame, I really enjoy riding the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine pretty consistently starts on the first press of the starter when the engine is cold. About 1 out of 4 times, I have to do it twice. When warm, it always starts on the first press. Here's what I and others are doing:
1. Don't touch the throttle
2. Let the fuel injection complete the priming and all the initial lights/checks complete their processes
3. Don't press the start button like an old carbureted bike, where you keep it pressed until the bike starts. Rather think of it like newer cars with push button starts. Just give it a short, momentary press and let go. You'll hear the bike and starter take over and do what it needs to do.

Like I say, it works most of the time for me. I learned it from others who also reported success.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes it is hard to keep running cold. If I don’t let it run for 5 minutes it will cut out sometimes when I idle at an intersection. For me I let it catch and then immediately give the bike some throttle to keep her going. Then for 30 seconds or so I rev it between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm. When I let off the throttle then it will keeps running but it is missing and running rough. If I take it out immediately after that without further warming. The engine runs very rough and misses quite a bit. Taking to to the dealer next week for him to put on cruise and heated grips. I will have him look into this as well. Once she is warm no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tried the above procedure no throttle. It caught and ran for a second or two for three consecutive times. On the forth try the engine caught and ran by itself at 1,700 rpm but still fluctuating quite a bit missing would take it down to 1,000 rpm and you could tell it was ready to die but it would catch. Seems crazy to me,because none of these symptoms once warm.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Grizz, your problem sounds different than the normal hard start. The bike should start easier when it's cold outside. The ecu will enrichen the fuel mixture making the bike run better. With colder mornings in the north east my bike will start every first try. Only gives problems when it's warm outside because the ecu will lean out the mixture. I never touch the throttle you shouldn't have to, see what the dealer says.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Grizz, your problem sounds different than the normal hard start. The bike should start easier when it's cold outside. The ecu will enrichen the fuel mixture making the bike run better. With colder mornings in the north east my bike will start every first try. Only gives problems when it's warm outside because the ecu will lean out the mixture. I never touch the throttle you shouldn't have to, see what the dealer says.
I take it to the dealer next week. We shall see.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update: Strangely, the problem I have had starting my bike has gone away? I still have only purchased gasoline from the same gas station (Standard Gas on corner of Pine and Van Ness in San Francisco). I haven’t altered the manner in which I start the bike (the previous walk-throughs offered on “how to push a start button” in this forum are hilarious). But I went through the break-in period and submitted my bike to the dealer for the 620 mile service and now have about 860 miles on the clock - and the difficult to start issue has just gone away. It has been 9 days since it hasn’t started on the first try (without stalling repeatedly). My dealer’s request that I simply be patient and let the bike get settled gave me doubts, but seeing as this is my first EFI bike and it is within the warranty period, I had no choice but to listen. Makes be feel a bit foolish, but I’m happy I am still not too old to learn a little patience.

Heck if I know.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Dammed if the same thing did not happen to me today. I have 1,368 miles on mine. Even though I took it for a two day ride through upstate New York the weekend before the starting and running rough issue at start up persisted. So I am going to trailer the bike to the dealer tomorrow as all my parts came in and he is going to install the cruise control and heated grips and let the dealer look into the starting and running rough cold issues. Getting home this afternoon I thought, let me take it for a spin just to confirm what has been happening. It was about 55 degrees out and sunny.. So I let the bike get through its start up cycle and after the fuel pump had primed and shut down I hit the start switch. The engine did not even hesitate it starts up and momentarily jumps to 2,000 rpm then immediately settles into a 1,700 rpm steady smooth idle. I was in disbelief. I said time to put on my gear and take her for a spin. So five minutes idle time and I'm off. I go down the street and she purrs like a kitten. Well maybe more like roars like a lion as I de-cated her. Pulls hard and smooth and winds out effortlessly. Now that caught me by surprise, but Ill take my good news when I can get it.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts