KTM Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Croat, maybe that 94 octane fuel is the difference. My 2019 R gets 91-93 octane depending on what the fuel station has, and she took 3 start attempts yesterday morning then first attempt the rest of the day. The bike never stalls while riding though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The idea that a modern vehicle manufactured for the use of modern fuels is in some way picky about one brand of gasoline over another brand of gasoline is at the edge of ridiculous. I certainly do not mean this as a personal attack on your knowledge or experience with motorcycles or gasoline. Spending $19,000 on a new bike should mean, at the absolute least, it starts on the first time and not the fifth. Some moron recently said to me “KTMs don’t like the cold.” To which I replied, “That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard anyone say. It isn’t 1958 anymore. You push the button and it starts.” If a manufacture of vehicles can figure out how to get an engine to start reliably then they should get out of the business. I’m taking this thing back to the dealer I bought it from 1 week ago and they will fix it or they will give me another that does start. And if they can’t do that, I’ll file a fraud claim.

I do absolutely love this bike. Super comfortable. Gas mileage is solid. A joy to ride. But I’m not some techie coder guzzling Mountain Dew and Cool Ranch Doritos and riding around on a new motorcycle with matching jacket-helmet-boots-gloves and spending all day on Amazon trying to figure out which spine protector to buy. I work extremely long hours for the money I make and I didn’t bat an eye when I signed on the dotted line for a bike the dealer refused to negotiate on. I paid full MSRP. The button says “START” and that is what it will do. Anything else is an excuse. Don’t be a sucker.
I do not think you will get far with litigation. KTM (their lawyers, if you even get that far) will just say the bike does start - which it does. After the initial first start-up of the day there is no problem starting for the rest of the day, and I agree with you, the bike's a gem to ride on or off road. I have a 2016 1290 Superduke GT as well and that does not have any starting issues. I feel the issue is the EU emissions standard 5 they've successfully met that is extremely stringent and obviously affects gas flow & usage by the engine. Perhaps by next year they'll have figured out a solution. Meanwhile I just thumb the button a couple more times. I can't see the value in losing sleep and getting bent out of shape over this. Peace is something of worth too, you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I saw some people with the same issue on the Adv Rider forum, but wanted to post it here because the topic kind of died without a clear answer.

Very often (not just the first cold start of the day), the bike dies after the initial startup and takes multiple starts for the engine to stay running. After 3 tries or so, then I’ll rev the throttle to give the engine a nudge to turnover. This works, but it shouldn’t be a normal occurrence. Thoughts?

Note that I have been waiting to start it up until after I hear the buzz of the fuel pump stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I picked up a 2020 790 Adv R in April last year. I had the same starting issues as everyone else, without fail it took 2-3 stabs of the starting button before the motor finally ran. It's now February 2021 and I have just over 5,000 miles on it. Last week the motor miraculously started on the first stab of the button and stayed on - and boy, did I take notice! It has done the same thing now seven times in a row. Unless my hearing is fading (which is highly possible) I notice I don't hear that whining noise after turning the ignition on - just silence. But hey, I think it's fixed itself! Anyone else have a similar tale to tell?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked up a 2020 790 Adv R in April last year. I had the same starting issues as everyone else, without fail it took 2-3 stabs of the starting button before the motor finally ran. It's now February 2021 and I have just over 5,000 miles on it. Last week the motor miraculously started on the first stab of the button and stayed on - and boy, did I take notice! It has done the same thing now seven times in a row. Unless my hearing is fading (which is highly possible) I notice I don't hear that whining noise after turning the ignition on - just silence. But hey, I think it's fixed itself! Anyone else have a similar tale to tell?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
:unsure:......... 5,000mls ......... that's about nicely run in and loosened up - if that was all it was, tight engine etc etc - but even so, my 1290 SDGT has always started normally, from day 1, brand new....... so this is a big mystery.

PS when you say you don't hear that whining noise anymore...... should that be the fuel pump priming the injector rail....... or is it a whizz-whirrr sound from the dash and exhaust valve check procedure? Mine no longer makes that noise as I fitted a Healtech ESE and bypassed the Ex flap servo, but I still hear the fuel pump prime the system and watch my tacho swing over and back so I know when to hit the starter (...once only, and Kabooompa booompa :D).........

Sorry, I don't see many 790 guys so I can't ask around for you........

·
Registered
157 Posts
My dealer said the 2-3 sec whining noise when you turn on the ignition is the fuel pump, and you should wait for it to stop before hitting the start button. It usually stops just prior to a normal TFT display after “READY TO RACE.” My 790 continued to take 2-3 start attempts when cold for over 15,000 mile, but now since I removed the CAT, it starts first try every time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
My local dealer 3 is right down the street from Rottweiler. I know...I’m lucky. I asked him what his thoughts are if I get a Power Commander with Rottweiler’s custom map to correct this issue. He said it will. He acknowledged that KTM’s stock map is no good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I saw some people with the same issue on the Adv Rider forum, but wanted to post it here because the topic kind of died without a clear answer.

Very often (not just the first cold start of the day), the bike dies after the initial startup and takes multiple starts for the engine to stay running. After 3 tries or so, then I’ll rev the throttle to give the engine a nudge to turnover. This works, but it shouldn’t be a normal occurrence. Thoughts?

Note that I have been waiting to start it up until after I hear the buzz of the fuel pump stop.

From what I understand pretty much every 790 Adv. R owner has the same issue with the motor catching then dying - approx 3 times before finally catching. I have a '20 model and it did the exact same thing which is unusual for an EFI motor. However, a month ago with 5,000+ miles on the odd the motor started and stayed on! I sat up and took notice. I hadn't made any changes to the motor or exhaust - those are still bone stock. I had the same gas in the tank that the prior attempt to start the motor had failed with - so it wasn't an issue with gas. Since then (maybe 30 starts) the motor has caught with the first prod of the button and stayed lit - without fail. There's another 790 R owner in town and I relayed this to him. He' did a CAT removal and said it fixed the problem and suggested perhaps the cooler weather had a part to play (40s - 50s) and to see if it still started once the warm humid Florida air arrives. Stand by for updates.

·
Registered
282 Posts
From what I understand pretty much every 790 Adv. R owner has the same issue with the motor catching then dying - approx 3 times before finally catching. I have a '20 model and it did the exact same thing which is unusual for an EFI motor. However, a month ago with 5,000+ miles on the odd the motor started and stayed on! I sat up and took notice. I hadn't made any changes to the motor or exhaust - those are still bone stock. I had the same gas in the tank that the prior attempt to start the motor had failed with - so it wasn't an issue with gas. Since then (maybe 30 starts) the motor has caught with the first prod of the button and stayed lit - without fail. There's another 790 R owner in town and I relayed this to him. He' did a CAT removal and said it fixed the problem and suggested perhaps the cooler weather had a part to play (40s - 50s) and to see if it still started once the warm humid Florida air arrives. Stand by for updates.
Yes cold weather does increase the amount of fuel as there is more fuel in any given temperature because their is more air mass cold. This is why your fuel economy drops in colder weather air the air mass indexer is putting in more fuel. Warmer weather should do the tell. But as I have noted the engine is starving. I did a booster plug and a de cat and all hlped but low octane gas does not help. When you go to a pump an put in 93 octane. That is not what you are getting for the first quart or so. You are getting what the pother bloke just pout in his car "regular" and that is not good in particular running so lean to meet EU standards. It is this idle, exhaust measuring that kills the bike . They drop the mixture back to the point that the motor barely runs. And when the bike is cold the oil is thicker and there is just a little more friction than the engine can handle. So power command it or accept the consequences.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Q. What about some O2 removal dongles?

On the 1290's, they trick the ecu into running a bit richer in the under 4-5k rpm range...... they work well and are a cheap way to adjust very lean low rpm tune..... I don't know if there are there dongle kits available for the 790, but they might be
all you need until the engine wears itself in fully and can handle the stock euro4/5 ecu tune.

A lot cheaper than a PCV & dyno tune and worth a try at $35US (for two O2 dongles for a 1290)..........

(y)

·
Registered
54 Posts
So I did my first service on my 2020 790 ADV S , Motorex 4T oil 10/50 synthetic that the dealer sold me, new oil filter, cleaned both screens , checked air filter, still looks new, oil chain.
I did replace the cat with Arrow decat almost when I first got the bike.
It always started and never would die cold or hot, Now after the service it shuts off 2-3 times when cold, if I ride and engine is warm it just starts normal, but found it weird that it started doing this after oil change?

·
Registered
13 Posts

I also have a 2020 ktm 790 adventure and had same issues. I made sure I sat on the bike upright, kickstand up and let it fully prime. Make sure you begin with the start button in the neutral position, not off position. I did not ever touch the throttle. This procedure and now running shell premium gas seems to have solved this issue.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts