KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am absolutely drooling over this bike and want/need to add an adventure bike to my stable. I'm liking this because the seat is not like a thin plank (as most KTM are) and it's not too tall as I'm a bit vertically challenged.

But I want the opinions of the KTM fanatics and family not the paid reviews you can find everywhere. What do you like?
What don't you like?
Would you buy it? And why? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: maintenance cost is not an issue as my hubby is a mechanic.

(The rest of my stable includes a KTM 525EXC, BMW F800ST and BMW R1150RT).

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
You are getting to be quite the collector
(Hoarder) of bikes over there. Good for you. Not to worry about the KTM asspunisher seats. Lots of softer seats available for your tender backside. Never heard anyone complain about the Seat Concepts products. I dont use it myself but have ridden bikes with them and they know what our a$$ likes. No worries about seat height for your short legs. Be sure to have hubby put a spacer in forks and shock and off you go. You will find your confidence and control will increase dramatically with your bike lowered to a comfortable height. Highly recommended by another short person.

Reactions: AliceNicho

·
Registered
32 Posts
Current adv ride is a 16 BMW R1200 GSA. While a very good bike, it is too heavy. Not a good single track or technical area bike. Sold my 450 EXC to buy it. Been checking on all I can find out about 790 ADV. Decided I wanted the R. Test rode the dealer demo S. It was very nice. Back at dealer I told them I would buy an R. They had no R’s. “So find one” Says I. Called me in a few days telling me there were none available. District KTM rep was no help . Can’t order a 2021 yet, but was promised I could spec out their first order. Possibly here by October.

Not trying to deter your thread, but am glad you started it, as I will be anxiously awaiting replies,

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am rather a big dude. 6’-5” 250 lbs. I started ridding KTM’s back in 14. Previous to that mainly Kawasaki Concours sport touring machine. I have had a “14” 1190 Adv R, a 16 1290 Super Adventure, Currently I now have a 2019 790 Adv R. I also have a 2012 BMW K1300S. I really wanted a 18 1290 SD GT but is was a bit to cramped for me so I went with the used K bike as they are long.

Any hoot coming off sport touring bikes I liked the punch of he 1190 and 1290 KTM. I took the 1290 SA on a loop doing the Colorado and Utah BDR’s . What I loved about the KTM twin cylinder engines is the drivability off road and the torque power you get. If I had it to do again the BDR’s on a large Adve bike I would have put a shorter gearing in. On the steep grades engine breaking was useless until 15 or 20 mph. Which is useless because you are going 10 mph. Need I digress. Other than that awesome machine.

While I do not do a ton of single track, having a lighter more nimble bike was always in the back of my mind. So when the 790 Adv R came out I jumped on it. I am tall and the bike in terms of height and ergonomics was almost perfect. I did put. 3/4” riser on the front bars but that is about it.

The lighter bike weight coupled with the lower were GC with the sling tanks just make the bike feel much lighter than it is. So it does inspire thrashing it quite a bit. The suspension for stock setup s awesome on the R version" Worth every penny. I did get the cruise and quick shift. While the Quick shift is not perfect it is more than adequate and very useful. It does give a lot of false neutrals gong from first to second gear.

The bike blocks the wind enough to make highway riding 80 mph or so tolerable, putting a standard screen on does not improve it much. To much buffeting. But then again I am tall. So while it is not a 450 exc you can certainly do some pretty spirited off road riding and single track. To me it is just a perfect balance between off road capabilities and long road riding.. it even gets better.

I thought o myself wouldn’t this bike be a bad *** super Moto. So last fall and winter I took to building one. I got 17” wheels from WARP9 racing and worked with them directly making custom tone rings so the ABS, TRACTION and speedo would all be correct. Slapped some Metzler Sportec M7 RR tire on her and a 42” toothed rear sprocket.

The bike is awesome in this configuration as well. It is by far the most competent road carving machine I hav ever had. It is light and it is fast. The zero to 60 time are just off a 1290 beast. Of course that is at normal sane speeds. It is just geared a lot lower. But anywhere from 0 to 70 mph this thing is incredible and it just begs to be slapped back and forth in the twisties. So now it has got me thinking do I even need the 1300K bike. The KTM is just raw, the BMW just refine power.

The biggest drawbacks are, it start rough, sometime 2 and three time to get it to catch and stay on. Also in mid ranges in lowers gears the engine gets choppy. Tamed most of this putting a booster plug on it. I did decat which now the stock exhaust sounds awesome. No real significant powder delivery increase, maybe a little quicker run but a lot less heat.

I would definitely put on the Rottweiler Power plate. This open up your intake flow and puts a really nice Pre filtering system on the bike.

But I am really happy with the 790 Adv R. Even considering selling the 1300K getting another 790 Adv. as I have two houses. The bottom line is the bike is a hoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am rather a big dude. 6’-5” 250 lbs. I started ridding KTM’s back in 14. Previous to that mainly Kawasaki Concours sport touring machine. I have had a “14” 1190 Adv R, a 16 1290 Super Adventure, Currently I now have a 2019 790 Adv R. I also have a 2012 BMW K1300S. I really wanted a 18 1290 SD GT but is was a bit to cramped for me so I went with the used K bike as they are long.

Any hoot coming off sport touring bikes I liked the punch of he 1190 and 1290 KTM. I took the 1290 SA on a loop doing the Colorado and Utah BDR’s . What I loved about the KTM twin cylinder engines is the drivability off road and the torque power you get. If I had it to do again the BDR’s on a large Adve bike I would have put a shorter gearing in. On the steep grades engine breaking was useless until 15 or 20 mph. Which is useless because you are going 10 mph. Need I digress. Other than that awesome machine.

While I do not do a ton of single track, having a lighter more nimble bike was always in the back of my mind. So when the 790 Adv R came out I jumped on it. I am tall and the bike in terms of height and ergonomics was almost perfect. I did put. 3/4” riser on the front bars but that is about it.

The lighter bike weight coupled with the lower were GC with the sling tanks just make the bike feel much lighter than it is. So it does inspire thrashing it quite a bit. The suspension for stock setup s awesome on the R version" Worth every penny. I did get the cruise and quick shift. While the Quick shift is not perfect it is more than adequate and very useful. It does give a lot of false neutrals gong from first to second gear.

The bike blocks the wind enough to make highway riding 80 mph or so tolerable, putting a standard screen on does not improve it much. To much buffeting. But then again I am tall. So while it is not a 450 exc you can certainly do some pretty spirited off road riding and single track. To me it is just a perfect balance between off road capabilities and long road riding.. it even gets better.

I thought o myself wouldn’t this bike be a bad *** super Moto. So last fall and winter I took to building one. I got 17” wheels from WARP9 racing and worked with them directly making custom tone rings so the ABS, TRACTION and speedo would all be correct. Slapped some Metzler Sportec M7 RR tire on her and a 42” toothed rear sprocket.

The bike is awesome in this configuration as well. It is by far the most competent road carving machine I hav ever had. It is light and it is fast. The zero to 60 time are just off a 1290 beast. Of course that is at normal sane speeds. It is just geared a lot lower. But anywhere from 0 to 70 mph this thing is incredible and it just begs to be slapped back and forth in the twisties. So now it has got me thinking do I even need the 1300K bike. The KTM is just raw, the BMW just refine power.

The biggest drawbacks are, it start rough, sometime 2 and three time to get it to catch and stay on. Also in mid ranges in lowers gears the engine gets choppy. Tamed most of this putting a booster plug on it. I did decat which now the stock exhaust sounds awesome. No real significant powder delivery increase, maybe a little quicker run but a lot less heat.

I would definitely put on the Rottweiler Power plate. This open up your intake flow and puts a really nice Pre filtering system on the bike.

But I am really happy with the 790 Adv R. Even considering selling the 1300K getting another 790 Adv. as I have two houses. The bottom line is the bike is a hoot.

Thank you for the feedback.

I definitely need to keep my larger BMW as we intend on doing some long distance travel which our 4 legged family members will accompany us on in a purpose built trailer so need a bike that can pull 80+kg of dog lol

The 525 whilst light and nimble is not good for long distance or road riding but great in the dirt. My F800ST is great as a commuter as my daily work trip is a 140km round trip (110km of that is highway riding) and with panniers and top box I can do a decent grocery shop.

The aim with the 790 is something that is comfortable enough at highway speeds and long days but also has the grunt to get off into the dirt as well and light enough to throw around and pick up easily when dropped.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The 790 is no lightweight at 460 lbs is but because of low slung tanks it feels a lot lighter. The 790 sort of hits the sweet spot, the Swiss Army knife of motorcycling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Having had to pick up the GSA quite a few times, 460lbs is much better. The BMW’s have shift assist. I like it on the GSA, love on the K1600. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Photo Please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Grizz pretty much summed up the 790R. My has almost 13k miles and I’m coming off a DRZ400 that I kept. I would definitely buy mine again and think it is a bargain at $14k with cruise control. You won’t need your BMW800, the 790R blows it away at everything. For motocross and tight single-track, the 790 is heavy but definitely capable. However, my DRZ is better for that. The 790 exceeded my expectations on roads, whether gravel, twisting highways, interstate, etc. I have put over 500 miles in a day on the 790 and was fairly comfortable, happy with the stock seat. Mine takes 2 or 3 cranks to start when cold sometimes, but that doesn’t bother me. My only complaint is wind buffeting, but I wear ear plugs and turn up the music. It is an awesome commuter bike, I ride hard and still average 50+ MPG. Was smooth at 124mph too, but plenty of wind.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Grizz pretty much summed up the 790R. My has almost 13k miles and I’m coming off a DRZ400 that I kept. I would definitely buy mine again and think it is a bargain at $14k with cruise control. You won’t need your BMW800, the 790R blows it away at everything. For motocross and tight single-track, the 790 is heavy but definitely capable. However, my DRZ is better for that. The 790 exceeded my expectations on roads, whether gravel, twisting highways, interstate, etc. I have put over 500 miles in a day on the 790 and was fairly comfortable, happy with the stock seat. Mine takes 2 or 3 cranks to start when cold sometimes, but that doesn’t bother me. My only complaint is wind buffeting, but I wear ear plugs and turn up the music. It is an awesome commuter bike, I ride hard and still average 50+ MPG. Was smooth at 124mph too, but plenty of wind.
I don't plan on having it constantly loaded with panniers and I like the convenience of the 800 for grocery shopping plus it's not as conspicuous and less likely to be stolen during my 12hr workdays, KTMs are hit property and stolen a lot more in this part of the world. Plus Betsy is my first love and we have history. I also would have somewhat aggressive tyres on the 790 for more chook chasing and less tarmac but way more comfy than my 525 over longer distances.
We are also going to add a specific track bike to our "shared" bikes that includes classics like Suzuki GS 1000 (1979) and a 70's KZ 400.
Plus I live by the motto below

(I will have an MV Augusta in my collection at some point - not the shared stable lol)

·
Registered
Current 2019 SDGT Gone:KTM 790 Adv R, 890 Duke R
48 Posts
Your motto is my mantra. Now if I can only enlighten the little woman as to the profound logic of said formula....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My bad/ugly was my R spent 7 weeks in the dealer waiting to get the brake switches replaced. I told them from the get go that it was an issue with many causing the brake light to be stuck on. I had to call KTM NA 3 times to get resolution. I also told them that its the switches but it seemed they wanted the dealer to try other things first. FINALLY they replaced the switches. Now sorted the bike is amazing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curious what part of the world your from Alice. I'm from Texas (USA) and have enjoyed this thread.

I'm curious about skid plates and gas tank damage with them so low on the motorcycle. Regarding farkles, what protection is recommended for this motorcycle and what luggage is most popular and useful?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Curious what part of the world your from Alice. I'm from Texas (USA) and have enjoyed this thread.

I'm curious about skid plates and gas tank damage with them so low on the motorcycle. Regarding farkles, what protection is recommended for this motorcycle and what luggage is most popular and useful?
I'm in QLD Australia, in the "hot" area around the middle lol

Since this thread started I now do have my MV Agusta (Brutale 750s) that is my have a bit of fun on but don't spend too long on it because the body won't like it bike and a BMW R1150GS (Tweety). Hubby recently picked up an 1190 Adventure and the bike is gorgeous but again way too heavy to throw around off road so whilst I daresay I'll ride it sometime and maybe even get my own I am still perusing the 790 Adventure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never purchased a brand new bike or thought I would pay full retail. It was worth it, its that good and super fun.

Downsides:
-it is a handful on technical trails (still a bit heavy)
-low rpm trail work requires some technique (clutch slipping)
-windscreen needs a better design to reduce long ride fatigue

Mine has been reliable so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
And as of today ; we now get the improved model as an 890. New tech. New problems?
Why would the 890 have unresolved problems? Is it really fundamentally different?

Suspension changes are pretty low risk IMHO. Is the engine really that different? I don't recall seeing any Duke 890 problems either. The rest of the electronics are probably a pretty straight across carry over with subtle tweaks for the most part so probably low risk too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts