KTM Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts

Lots of new changes?
For me the only remarkable change beside engine displacement is, accordingly to the pictures, a rear Brembo caliper!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is the 790 Adventure going away for 2021? It makes no sense to make a 790 and 890. Maybe 790S, 890R, and 890R Rally for 2021. That 890R Rally looks awesome, but I’m still very happy with my 790R. I don’t need more power, but would like lighter. It looks like they improved the engine, clutch, gearbox and brakes, and the extra low end torque would be nice but not needed. The 890R Rally will come with almost all the options, but it looks like Rally mode will cost extra on the 890R. I guess I’ve been lucky since my engine doesn’t leak, brakes work fine, and I haven’t trashed the clutch yet. I can live with 3 start attempts sometimes.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The 790 Adv R in my book is the bomb. All the 890 Adv R does is uptick to power a little bit. Maybe a little more manageable down low power. Off Road though it would always be nimbleness that wins and the 790 Av R does it all very Well. KTM may drop the 790 because in real terms what sales bike is power even though in off road mode it is basically all the same. The staring problem is a ECU issue they could fix with firmware. So while I would not turn down the 890 R there is absolutely no reason to go to a 890 if you have a 790 Adv R unless you want the rally suspension. Which the 790 Adv R susepnsion is awesome.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@AliceNicho , did you get your new 790//890? I waited and waited and finally got 890 R on 1/2/21. Love it so far!
Not yet, waiting for a decent deal on the 790 Adventure plus I've been grounded with a shoulder injury and won't be back on 2 wheels for another few months

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
I saw on the Duke forum that 790 Dukes are as low as $7k US, but the 890 Dukes are over 11k. I don’t see the 790 Adventures going for that much less than an 890. My 2019 790R was around $14k with cruise control, it has over 15k miles, and there is no way I would sell it for under $12k (and then only if an 890R was available).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been grounded with a shoulder injury and won't be back on 2 wheels for another few months

[/QUOTE

Sorry to hear about an injury! Get healed up soon.

2020 790 ADV S (no ADV R models left).: there were two at my dealer unsold. Both were marked down $1000 below MSRP

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new and this is my first post.

I have the KTM790 Adventure and I was looking to see what ways if any I could bypass a sensor problem, if I had one. I also have a KLR650 that I have done over 20K miles from Santiago to Ushuaia back up and onto Mexico. I also have a DR650 in Perth Australia that I do some long off road rides on. So I am an adventure rider and I was hoping the KTM could be my new adventure bike for traveling continents when ever this world opens again.

If sensors are a problem then I may not have the right bike for the job. The KLR and DR650 are simple bikes with little to go wrong and when they do there is normally someone close by to fix it or you can fix it yourself. Is there anyone out there that can tell me how i can bypass or at least not be in a position like Snke whereby you are completely stuck with an unusable bike. If I had the problem Snka had in the middle of Mongolia, how would I resolve an issue like this?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm new and this is my first post.

I have the KTM790 Adventure and I was looking to see what ways if any I could bypass a sensor problem, if I had one. I also have a KLR650 that I have done over 20K miles from Santiago to Ushuaia back up and onto Mexico. I also have a DR650 in Perth Australia that I do some long off road rides on. So I am an adventure rider and I was hoping the KTM could be my new adventure bike for traveling continents when ever this world opens again.

If sensors are a problem then I may not have the right bike for the job. The KLR and DR650 are simple bikes with little to go wrong and when they do there is normally someone close by to fix it or you can fix it yourself. Is there anyone out there that can tell me how i can bypass or at least not be in a position like Snke whereby you are completely stuck with an unusable bike. If I had the problem Snka had in the middle of Mongolia, how would I resolve an issue like this?
Allan:

Dont know how you get by the sensors. Do you mean MTC/ABS sensors or do you mean engine management. If it is ABS/MTC if a problem comes up and there is a system general failure. The bike just goes on without any ABS/MTC interventions. If you are talking EMU and its interfacing sensors. No real answer. The EMU either is functioning or not. Depending on the sensor that goes will determine if wngine runs or not. I think is really a KTM tech answer. Sorry I can not help. Yes simple is good when reliability is paramount

Reactions: AliceNicho

·
Registered
3 Posts
Allan:

Dont know how you get by the sensors. Do you mean MTC/ABS sensors or do you mean engine management. If it is ABS/MTC if a problem comes up and there is a system general failure. The bike just goes on without any ABS/MTC interventions. If you are talking EMU and its interfacing sensors. No real answer. The EMU either is functioning or not. Depending on the sensor that goes will determine if wngine runs or not. I think is really a KTM tech answer. Sorry I can not help. Yes simple is good when reliability is paramount
Thanks for your answer. Yes i read another post whereby the bike simply could not be started after a sensor failed and the owner had the bike tailored to the shop to diagnose the problem. If i was in a remote area of the world and I had a sensor fail and I could not identify what sensor it was and the bike would not start due to the sensor failer what would I do, it would be a real problem. I can ride the bike without all ABS/MTC working but if the engine does not start I'd be in real trouble.

How likely this is I am not so sure, but I'd love to ride this bike one day from Cape Town to London and I need to be prepared. Is there a KTM support group that I could rely on? I plan on working with my KTM dealer here in the Philippines to guide me in some way to be able to deal with this but like everything else we have to wait till things open up again and here in the Philippines that could be a few more months.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for your answer. Yes i read another post whereby the bike simply could not be started after a sensor failed and the owner had the bike tailored to the shop to diagnose the problem. If i was in a remote area of the world and I had a sensor fail and I could not identify what sensor it was and the bike would not start due to the sensor failer what would I do, it would be a real problem. I can ride the bike without all ABS/MTC working but if the engine does not start I'd be in real trouble.

How likely this is I am not so sure, but I'd love to ride this bike one day from Cape Town to London and I need to be prepared. Is there a KTM support group that I could rely on? I plan on working with my KTM dealer here in the Philippines to guide me in some way to be able to deal with this but like everything else we have to wait till things open up again and here in the Philippines that could be a few more months.
I would think you will need to go to the dealer and have them interface with KTM directly. What are the chances of the EMU going down because of a sensor failure? Probably slim to none. But you having the chance of it happening is your case, may not be offset by what the technology brings to you. So in the end all the technology that makes the bikes perform the way the do, while it is amazing, the new machines make you a prisoner of the technology as well. To me I would not worry about it. You probably have a better chance of being hit by a jet engine falling of an airliner flying over head. I don't want to put that out in the universe, but their are risk with everything. Only you can make that decision.

Low technology machines are becoming a thing of the past. If it were me I would find an older DRZ 400 and you are good. They are under utilized technology exemplified. But you can fix them with a set of pliers as well.

As I said though, I get the overview of the technology but the only people that can give you and answer is KTM corporate who will be in communications with your local rep. Just is what it is.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would think you will need to go to the dealer and have them interface with KTM directly. What are the chances of the EMU going down because of a sensor failure? Probably slim to none. But you having the chance of it happening is your case, may not be offset by what the technology brings to you. So in the end all the technology that makes the bikes perform the way the do, while it is amazing, the new machines make you a prisoner of the technology as well. To me I would not worry about it. You probably have a better chance of being hit by a jet engine falling of an airliner flying over head. I don't want to put that out in the universe, but their are risk with everything. Only you can make that decision.

Low technology machines are becoming a thing of the past. If it were me I would find an older DRZ 400 and you are good. They are under utilized technology exemplified. But you can fix them with a set of pliers as well.

As I said though, I get the overview of the technology but the only people that can give you and answer is KTM corporate who will be in communications with your local rep. Just is what it is.

Good Luck!!!
Thanks Grizz
Appreciate your time and I agree the odds of failure are probably quiet small. I will research what sensor is doing what and work with KTM to try and carry the sensors that make the difference and learn how to change them.

I'll get there, many thanks

21 - 32 of 32 Posts