KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked a few dealers and, even though the early buzz was that the 790 Adventure was supposed to hit dealers in the USA in May 2019, no one that Ive asked seems to have a date yet. Do any of you folks know when KTM plans to turn this thing loose?

I'd like the basic model with upgrades rather than the R-model due to the difference in saddle shape and width, as I'd like to mostly tour, not bop around off-road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And an update. Just called a different dealer who just discussed this with his rep this week. Thanks the delightful folks in Californicated, KTM has delayed release for at least a month till they find a way to meet CA's draconian emissions bullcrap. For every other state, the bike is absolutely OK, and already has less emissions (thanks to the "evappa-crappa" that gets added to US bikes) than any Euro-spec bikes. I say it's high time to let California be it's own country and see how well they support themselves when they don't have the rest of us to support them. {Rant Mode off}

More news, KTM-USA tried to blackmail the US dealers (heard this from multiple dealers) into taking multiple items of product that they had no hope of selling or they would withhold the 790 ADV. Results? MANY MANY dealers said "fine, forget it!", resulting in very few pre-orders. Now, KTM has rethought the error of their ways and is offering the bikes to dealers previously declined in the extortion program.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Thank you for providing the information on what is causing the delays on the 790 Adventure. I realize it is problematic politically to hurt CA's feelings, but they still could deliver to the other States. I put a deposit for the 790 Adventure in January. (actually for 2 units) That was when they were still expected in April. Then it shifted to May and now who knows. I have plans for a long trip in late June. This would have been my first KTM, however, if there isn't any information soon, I guess I will need to change to plan B. I have considered a 690, though I am not sure I want a single banger for long distances. I was really looking forward to trying KTM, but I may need to go back to the old tried and true and get another BMW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I have a 790R on deposit, I'm the third in line, there were a total of 4 coming to this dealer, who is huge.I was told initial delivery would be in beginning of May.Salesman said KIM usually delivered early in the month.Second delivery is supposed to be in June, that's when mine would come in.There are no set dates, they ship em when they're ready, and supposedly they are limited in supply.I'm kind of surprised at the lack of communication KIM has with the dealer, I went to the dealer yesterday and still no first shipment, I'm hoping they combine both and ship all the bikes together. Salesman also said he heard of a guy in Israel getting one, so I guess the U.S. is low man on the totem pole, not really happy with this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have considered a 690, though I am not sure I want a single banger for long distances. I was really looking forward to trying KTM, but I may need to go back to the old tried and true and get another BMW.
The 690 IMHO still has way too much vibration for any significant enjoyable road time. Even with the 2017(?) improved counterbalancing, I could not find an engine RPM, gearing, or speed that handlebar vibration didn't intrude on ride enjoyment. And that was just on a short test ride. I'd definitely say test ride one yourself before popping the wallet out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably not su much of a totem pole issue, but rather that they have to do more emissions stuff for US bikes, so that gets added last. Europe doesn't require all the evaporative emissions stuff, so all that has to be engineered and added to US bikes. Then, apparently after all that, CAn has forced them to go even further whit who knows what (and whether it will affect how well the bike runs, as in excessively lean) I already plan to do a "cannisterectomy" on mine upon delivery, as well as to add a Rapidbike EVO piggyback fueling computer as soon as it's offered by Dimsport.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
That's interesting, I thought the European emission standards were higher, the crf450l has 45hp in the U.S. and only 25hp for the euro models, and I heard it was because of emission restrictions.I'm probably wrong but either way it's still frustrating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Just be careful about removing stuff as it may void warranty, do you have a deposit on a 790 yet? Every dealer I called were just about out of available stock, and that was a month ago, but i am in the metro N.Y.C area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
talked with our local dealer and put my hat in the ring. I'm willing to wait though. There's always the idea that early buyers are the beta testers for all the stuff that didn't show up in development. When has a brand new design ever come out that after 6 months users developed a list of items to make preemptive repairs on? So I'm OK with letting others go through the discovery phase. ;-)

And it seems like a majority of folks hot to trot want the R version, where as I want the base model for the potentially more tour-worthy perch. Of course, if they use recycled particle board for the seat foam like they did on the 390 Duke, I'll be doing a seat rebuild right off anyhow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I hear ya, the LC8C has been out for a while so I'm not worried about that. Yeah I want the R because I want to ride hard off road, plus I feel the R may have better resale if I so desire.Who knows, it may be the bike of my dreams, or kind of a let down, only time will tell.If I hear any thing I will let you know, hopefully soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I'm having second thoughts as well. Put down a deposit on a 790R back in February and getting the 4th and final one allotted to the dealer. My OTD price is $16,267 with all the taxes, tags, and dealer add on crap fees (freight, assembly, prep). A couple local Honda dealers have a few left over 2017 Africa Twin models they are heavily discounting. I can get one for $11,000 OTD. I'm tempted to save $5K over the 790R and just buy the AT...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I'm having second thoughts as well. Put down a deposit on a 790R back in February and getting the 4th and final one allotted to the dealer. My OTD price is $16,267 with all the taxes, tags, and dealer add on crap fees (freight, assembly, prep). A couple local Honda dealers have a few left over 2017 Africa Twin models they are heavily discounting. I can get one for $11,000 OTD. I'm tempted to save $5K over the 790R and just buy the AT...
I hear ya, I'm looking at discounted africa twins as a replacement for my 10 yr old weestrom.

just gotta think about the whole DCT thing. I'd be mostly pavement and a few fire roads, so it could be nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I'm having second thoughts as well. Put down a deposit on a 790R back in February and getting the 4th and final one allotted to the dealer. My OTD price is $16,267 with all the taxes, tags, and dealer add on crap fees (freight, assembly, prep). A couple local Honda dealers have a few left over 2017 Africa Twin models they are heavily discounting. I can get one for $11,000 OTD. I'm tempted to save $5K over the 790R and just buy the AT...
Will your dealer refund your deposit? Mine says they won't refund the deposit even though the bike was already on order, I think that's bull **** and probably not legal. I too am second guessing the 790 primarily because of price, 11,000 otd for a Africa twin is a great deal!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
well, if the total wasn't specified in the deal, there wasn't a meeting of the minds, and thus, no contract.

Can you stop payment, or reverse the charge, or go to small claims court to get the deposit back?

Or will the mere filing of the paperwork result in a magical reduction of the dealer crap fees? Is there a government regulatory body for the dealers you can complain to? It seems that dealer can often have a change in heart once the push back is strong enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I only put down a $200 cash deposit, and the dealer told me that if I didn't take delivery of the bike that he'd return the $ and just sell to the next in line. They supposedly have a few potential buyers on a waiting list for the 790R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
(John in PA) I am a lttle late in my reply, but thank you for the input on the 690. I was worried about the vibration of a large single banger on the highways. If the 790 delay continues, I will test drive the new 690 since they say the new one has a lot of improvements.

In terms of the new comments on deposits. My dealer has always said they will refund if I change my mind. I put the deposit down in January when they still thought it would arrive in April, then early May, now maybe late May. Due to the delays, which means the dealers are missing their commitments, they can't legally hold your deposit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
My dealer has a 2019 690, i checked it out last Saturday while it looks like a great bike, for me it's not what I'm looking for. If I had a lot of trails close to where I live that would be a different thing. I have to ride on the road for a good distance before I hit dirt so I want a bike that I would be comfortable on the road for longer distances. Actually I'm contemplating a 1090R as an alternative, looks like a really nice bike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
You really need to decide what type of riding you will be doing for the majoity of your time. I road an R1200GSA for 6 years. It was awesome on long road trips. It was, however, since it was heavy, not a bike for off road. My current goal is to ride the CDT. My current route from northern Canada to central Mexico 4K miles at about 90% off road. The commute is about 8K, on mostly major roads. My hope is that the 790 can handle both.

The 1090 is a great bike that is more for on road. It can deal with gravel and fire roads, but not mud and sand. (My opinion only) The 790 is really too heavy single tracks, but I need the size for the commute. Every bike always has trade-offs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I put $500 deposit back in February on a pretty decent OTD price for 790 ADV R. I was told "expected delivery in May"
I checked with the dealer a week ago. He called KTM and confirmed it will be in May but no set date.
Hopefully...
 
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Top