KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
790 DUKE FAILED ENGINE & KTM AUS WARRANTY

Hey everyone, the time has come for me to share my experience!

I recently purchased a one year old 790 duke from Pro Cycles St Peters. 10k on the clock and full service history and just over a year left of KTM factory warranty.

I had the bike a couple of days and noticed a huge amount of blow by in the airbox and then after 1k the oil level had dropped below the sight glass.

After numerous attempts to contact the dealer, i finally managed them to address the issue.

The bike has now been sitting at Pro Cycles for the last 6 WEEKS. They can't give me an answer as to what has failed in the engine to cause the oil consumption and blow-by and although i have contacted them multiple times, i continue to wait with no outcome. They keep repeating themselves, saying they don't know what the fault is and are working with KTM to resolve the matter.

Does it take 6 weeks to strip a motor and diagnose the fault?

Does it take 6 weeks for KTM Australia to honor the warrany and replace my engine or give me a new bike?

Ive given the dealer until Friday to offer a resolution or it's off to fair trading and after seeking advice from them, they will be sorting it out.

KTM Aus, i hope you read this post. I have contacted you numerous times and NO ONE has bothered replying or addressing this issue.

When it comes to looking after your customers and honouring warranty, KTM you suck!

Im utterly dissapointed.

·
Super Moderator
1,929 Posts
TBH mate, if you ask me, this seems to be a dealer issue rather than a KTM issue. From what i can see above, KTM has not been involved.

Still not much use to you, but i'd be hassling them more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Weeksy,

Thanks for the input mate - Yeah KTM is involved. They have been there every step of the way. Their warranty process sucks ***. They need to see evidence and approve every step of the way. Their engineers have not determined what the fault is and until they do they won't warrant an engine replacement. Well that's what the dealership is telling me anyway!

·
Super Moderator
1,929 Posts
Well that's what the dealership is telling me anyway!
That's the big question isn't it... do KTM themselves actually have any input at this stage and if so, at what level.... An engineer, the customer services dept, a super tech guy... Who knows.. We as customers can only go by what the dealers tell us.

In their defence the 790 issue you're having from what i've seen is the only one, so maybe harder to diagnose because of that. But an engine is an engine, therefore, should be sorted....

How far from you is the dealer ? Not worth heading over and saying "Hey, get your **** together" ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i have no idea is the short answer. I can only believe what the head mechanic is telling me!

Ive tried contacting KTM directly to chat about it but they don't even have contact details here in Aus and they dont bother replying to my emails.

I can only assume they are involved but i certainly dont know for sure.

Im over 100km from the dealership so it's a PITA to visit, but i call twice a week and get fed the same story every time.

Ive given them until friday to give me an outcome or Fair Trading will get involved. They have advised me to ask for a new engine or bike.

·
Super Moderator
1,929 Posts
Ive tried contacting KTM directly to chat about it but they don't even have contact details here in Aus and they dont bother replying to my emails.
I've yet to hear of anyone who gets anything useful in the way of contact from the factory, UK, US, anywhere. But that's not unusual, if you had a Fireblade you wouldn't expect the head of HRC to reply either :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Having a good local dealer and service department is what attracted me to KTM and away from Aprilia. I pity those who have to deal with anyone less than top shelf.

KTM is waiting for the word from the dealer, who has to do a teardown to determine the cause of the failure and the dealer is waiting for what?

All these tales I've heard about a bike sitting at the dealer for weeks or even months are ridiculous. If they aren't ready to do something, they shouldn't even take it in unless they are trying to make it look like they have a lot going on when they don't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts