KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What modifications or adjustments have you made? What tires? Having come from an R6, I do miss the community knowledge on every possible aspect of the bike for track riding.

I currently have an Arrow mid-pipe with factory headers and muffler. Tried the Yosh muffler but it was too loud. I adjusted the suspension to the factory Sport setting, then from there added a bit more rear rebound damping. Running Michelin Power Cup 2s for four track days so far. Very little wear on the front, however it does eat up the rears pretty good. Part of that is me getting the pressures right. I think I’ve consistently had a bit too much pressure. At 23 psi hot it seems to be in the ballpark (for me).
Anyone tried different suspension components

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just had my bike out last weekend.

As far as modifications that doesn't really matter if you're going track-day so do whatever you feel and can afford. For myself I've got the full Ti Akra system along w/ the Rottweiler Power Plate, Trans Saver, KTM Tech Pack, dyno tune, and KTM PowerParts rear sets.

Adjustments were done at the track by the local suspension guy for the rain. He sped up the rear rebound a bit and it was good to go. Be aware that settings/adjustments will differ per rider. I had the suspension looked at by the same guy when I bought the bike and he said it was good to go w/ factory settings for my weight, 190lbs with riding gear.

Tires a completely a thing of preference. Last weekend it was raining so I took my rains from my R6 track bike and mounted those up. The Power Cup 2's are fine for intermediate level track days, though I'm a Pirelli fan and will be swapping over to the Diablo Super Corsa's for the street and slicks on the track. Pressures are available on the Michelin website, just go by those and you'll be fine. For the track: Ambient = 30.5 front 22 rear and Hot = 34.8 front 24.7 rear

Haven't done any different suspension as there's really no need. The WP set up is find for street/trackdays. If I were to race it I would probably go with Ohlines or the race spec WP kit. I did Ohlins internals and rear on my RC8 when I was racing that.

My background is that I raced quite a few different bikes for around 8 years. My first novice season with in 1998 and I only got a couple of races in that year as I had a kid and needed to step back, got back into it in 2007 and stopped in 2015 after a couple of serious get offs. Last weekend was the first time on the track since then and I think I'm ready to start racing again next year. Doing at least one track day a month through October.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree the 890 doesn’t really “need” anything. But trying things is part of the fun! I just put some Pirelli SC3s on mine to replace the Michelins that were toast. Definitely a different shape to the tires, and the rear is quite a bit larger. 7mm taller in the back and 2mm in the front. I thought it would speed the steering up since it raised the rear, but it actually feels slower to turn. Only one quick ride on the local back roads so hardly conclusive. But noticeably more effort to initiate the lean. Feels very good once leaned though. Planning the next track day for the 17th and 18th. That will be the real test.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think if just a track day, good out the box, if your racing it, a quick shift kit & race slicks.
I would like to see how quick I could go lap times bog stock & take it to a drag strip that has all the latest electronic timing equipment and speed trap , that has all been double checked for accuracy .And see what the trap speed is, as with drags, rider can make a big difference to ET , but the trap speed will always stay the same on the day, unless you get a HP increase then the trap speed will increase. I call it the long black dyno . And it does not lie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What modifications or adjustments have you made? What tires? Having come from an R6, I do miss the community knowledge on every possible aspect of the bike for track riding.

I currently have an Arrow mid-pipe with factory headers and muffler. Tried the Yosh muffler but it was too loud. I adjusted the suspension to the factory Sport setting, then from there added a bit more rear rebound damping. Running Michelin Power Cup 2s for four track days so far. Very little wear on the front, however it does eat up the rears pretty good. Part of that is me getting the pressures right. I think I’ve consistently had a bit too much pressure. At 23 psi hot it seems to be in the ballpark (for me).
Anyone tried different suspension components
I hear you on missing the community. You may have to hop between a few different places but more info is becoming available on the 890 as more people are realizing how capable of a machine it really is!

Bars set to race position and stock suspension tuned by local pro.

Components that have been great changes for me as a track only machine:
1) KTM powerparts rear set (for more clearance and GP shift)
2) Pirelli Superbike SC2 front and SC3 rear (much better wear at my local tracks than the OEM Michelins)
3) Full system akra with KTM installed tune (transformed the power level of the bike across the range and it’s not just from the much improved exhaust note)
4) Matris steering dampener (front in gets super slappy on track with OEM dampener)

Feel free to PM me if you need any more specific info. I’m always happy to help a fellow Duker.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hear you on missing the community. You may have to hop between a few different places but more info is becoming available on the 890 as more people are realizing how capable of a machine it really is!

2) Pirelli Superbike SC2 front and SC3 rear (much better wear at my local tracks than the OEM Michelins)
3) Full system akra with KTM installed tune (transformed the power level of the bike across the range and it’s not just from the much improved exhaust note)
4) Matris steering dampener (front in gets super slappy on track with OEM dampener)

Feel free to PM me if you need any more specific info. I’m always happy to help a fellow Duker.

View attachment 108389
View attachment 108388
I love GP shift , I run it on street too, I'm going to set my stock shifter to GP.

Will you fit crash bobin's to it to?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love GP shift , I run it on street too, I'm going to set my stock shifter to GP.

Will you fit crash bobin's to it to?
Yeah it took my brain a couple track days to unlearn a few decades of shifting conventionally. But, now that I’m accustomed to GP shift….I much prefer it!

I considered the crash bobbins but I lean towards the line of thinking that I want good slide protection yet nothing that encourages the bike to catch then tumble when sliding. I may regret the decision but that side of the argument makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah it took my brain a couple track days to unlearn a few decades of shifting conventionally. But, now that I’m accustomed to GP shift….I much prefer it!

I considered the crash bobbins but I lean towards the line of thinking that I want good slide protection yet nothing that encourages the bike to catch then tumble when sliding. I may regret the decision but that side of the argument makes more sense to me.
I have not got them on my 890 R, as just ride it on the street. But think they would protect engine & clutch from a lot of damage if you lay the bike down.

But the GP shift, like you said, is great once you remember, it's up for first then down for second & when shift back it's up.

enjoy!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

View attachment 108389
View attachment 108388
Great looking bike! I think we’ve actually met.

I didn’t get to track this weekend as intended, but looking at 1-2 July. Look forward to trying the Pirellis. Otherwise, I just have the KTM rear sets and the mid-pipe and some protection pieces. Had to take the Yosh muffler off and go back to factory for now as it was too loud with the Yosh+mid pipe. Really just need an Akro…

I do have a little rear sprocket chain guard on the way. Makes me nervous, and I almost ordered on a number of occasions, then I saw what happened to Tulli in WSBK SSP. Lost a few toes after getting foot in there. Cheap piece of mind.

I do see how a steering damper could be very beneficial. I’ve thought this bike could perhaps use much stiffer forks (less flex, not referring to spring rate). May be just the (lack of) damper though. Otherwise I really have zero complaints. This bike is much more capable than I. And, it’s as good on local back roads, quick trips to store, or on the track. Very cool!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great looking bike! I think we’ve actually met.

I didn’t get to track this weekend as intended, but looking at 1-2 July. Look forward to trying the Pirellis. Otherwise, I just have the KTM rear sets and the mid-pipe and some protection pieces. Had to take the Yosh muffler off and go back to factory for now as it was too loud with the Yosh+mid pipe. Really just need an Akro…

I do have a little rear sprocket chain guard on the way. Makes me nervous, and I almost ordered on a number of occasions, then I saw what happened to Tulli in WSBK SSP. Lost a few toes after getting foot in there. Cheap piece of mind.

I do see how a steering damper could be very beneficial. I’ve thought this bike could perhaps use much stiffer forks (less flex, not referring to spring rate). May be just the (lack of) damper though. Otherwise I really have zero complaints. This bike is much more capable than I. And, it’s as good on local back roads, quick trips to store, or on the track. Very cool!

View attachment 108426
View attachment 108427
Small world! Yeah I recognize the bike. Love that bellypan. I think you’ll be really happy with the Pirelli’s. Their traction+ KTM’s phenomenal traction control offers a ridiculous amount of grip.

I haven’t seen the SBK race yet but losing toes definitely isn’t my idea of fun lol.

I have an arrow muffler that may be quieter than the yosh if want an in between. It’s just sitting on the shelf now that I have the full system.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The carbon pieces look amazing! Very clean, sharp look. Tempting on the muffler, but I’m starting to think I should cut my losses and go straight to the full Ti Akro. Gulp.. But it does sound amazing, and sounds like it works well too. Interestingly, I asked the dealer to check the ecu load when I took it in to have the quick shifter calibrated. He said it has the the Akro map in it.

In your newer pics you have the piece to replace the headlight. S2 Concepts? Does the headlight come off easily? Thinking about one for trackdays.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too held off on the Akra for a year as I didn’t wanna spend that kinda money. Honestly, for me it was totally worth it. Wish I would of just bought it first.

The headlight removal kit is a KTM power parts. I just picked up the KTM race seat from the painter today as well. Excited to try it out this weekend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too held off on the Akra for a year as I didn’t wanna spend that kinda money. Honestly, for me it was totally worth it. Wish I would of just bought it first.

The headlight removal kit is a KTM power parts. I just picked up the KTM race seat from the painter today as well. Excited to try it out this weekend.

Where did you find a race seat? Been looking for months. Some place in europe had one for a ridiculous price for a bit, other than that, nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah parts have been real tricky to find since the Duke came out. I bought the race seat on eBay a while back, it was $50 over MSRP but I’m tired of waiting and couldn’t find a comparable alternative.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Small world! Yeah I recognize the bike. Love that bellypan. I think you’ll be really happy with the Pirelli’s. Their traction+ KTM’s phenomenal traction control offers a ridiculous amount of grip.

I haven’t seen the SBK race yet but losing toes definitely isn’t my idea of fun lol.

I have an arrow muffler that may be quieter than the yosh if want an in between. It’s just sitting on the shelf now that I have the full system.
View attachment 108438
When you switched to the Akro full exhaust what differences did you notice, beyond the great sound? And, did you get to compare the stock map to KTM Akro map?

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you switched to the Akro full exhaust what differences did you notice, beyond the great sound? And, did you get to compare the stock map to KTM Akro map?
I had multiple track days from stock —> stock map with arrow slip on—> akra with KTM map. I couldn’t feel seat or pants difference with the slip on but much nicer exhaust note. Akra with map transformed the entire rev range to me. Noticeable power increase across the rev range. Really made the Duke a totally different bike.

For a twin I was a bit disappointed stock with the mid-low end power. After the Akra, the bike has significantly more grunt. So much so that it floats the front so much it made me aware how crappy the stock steering dampener really was. Your welcome to ride my bike at any of our track days if you wanna see what you think!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m in an odd spot. I have the Arrow mid-pipe and currently using factory slip on, which I don’t care for. My dealer said my bike has the akro map.
Here’s the back story… When I took it in to get the QS adjusted I asked whether the Akro map could be installed (if I purchased the exhaust was what I was thinking). When I checked out and asked the person at the desk about that, she went and checked with the tech and responded that my bike has the Akro map installed. The guy seemed knowledgeable when talking to him before working on it, and did a great job with the quick shifter, so maybe he just installed it? Or could it have already been installed, don’t know. I wish there was a way I could check, other than me taking it back and being there when they check.
My predicament is, will it perform essentially the same with a slip on like the Arrow or Akro, combined with the Arrow mid pipe and factory headers as it would with the full Akro system, assuming Akro map for both. I don‘t know how different the headers are. My guess is any difference would be irrelevant to me. I also have a Power Commander 5 I can put on if I can find a good map. If I can just add a slip on that muffles it enough, and sounds good, I’m sure the power will be fine. The factory slip on with the mid pipe is quiet enough, but the small pipe diameter in the factory slip on results in a slightly odd note, and we all want to enjoy that amazing deep sound! The **** that matters to me makes me laugh at myself sometimes!
Honestly I don’t need more power than what it has right now. At my last track day it was floating the front end in a number of places, and just as you stated, the damper isn’t exactly robust. It can be quite eye opening!
Appreciate the track day offer! Though I drove all the way from VA that weekend to ride with a couple friends from a previous career. I may get back there (loved the track), but not anytime soon. Next year prior to MotoGP? Though the plan is to get together again at Barber in August. Much closer for me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quite the predicament for sure. Wish I knew more about tuning but unfortunately my knowledge is very limited in that area. Only suggestion I can add to your list of options is maybe a tuner that allows you select different exhaust options. Instead of a fix map like the akro map, something like the Coober could be a nice option? I’ve heard a few positive things about it.

Maybe I’ll see you at barber sometime. It’s high on my list of tracks to visit!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts