KTM Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Trivia note: with the factory chain I was unable to use a rear sprocket with one extra tooth (42). Ran out of forward adjustment by ~1mm. I was hoping to try it before swapping the new D.I.D. chain on. The Pirelli is quite a bit bigger and you can feel it in the gearing. I doubt one tooth will make much difference, just a step in the right direction. Probably order a 44.

·
Super Moderator
2021 D890R, 2016 D690R, 2014 D690R, 2012 D690, 2008 RC8...
2,745 Posts
Talking about tyres.
Did anyone else notice how light weight the Stock Michelin Cup 2 are.
I put on Metzler M9RR for a longer Euro trip on the bike and holding both rears and then both fronts, one in each hand the weight difference was really noticable.
And the Michelins only had 900km on them so not worn out.

Light wheel would definitely make the turn in faster with less rotating mass.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
^^^I took off a rear Michelin after a couple track days and was shocked at how thin it was. I should have cut a section to measure. Be forewarned, the wear markers are real. The Pirelli SC3s are also very light.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
After a few minor changes I got to try them on the track. Switched to Pirelli SC3 and couldn’t be happier. Wear was perfect using Pirelli rep recommendation of 28R/36F hot. The shape is different too and felt very good. The rear, a 180/60 was larger in diameter so the bike gearing felt noticeably taller. I had a 42T rear and installed that. Not a big difference, but a move in the right direction. Problem, the factory chain is not long enough for the 42T sprocket. I installed a new chain which I already had and made it longer. Now, with the 42T the axle is nearly all the way back. Quite a bit longer now. I had a recommendation from a respected source that the bike felt better with the front end raised. So, I raised the front ~4mm. Basically the top of the tubes. Yes, I am repeating myself, I just want to include all the changes in one place. Reason is, all this combined, it really felt good. Very stable and easy to ride. Let me focus on my riding which is what I wanted.
with the 42T it was around 9k rpm and ~140mph on the main straight. Just about right for that track, and no shifts required in awkward places elsewhere on the track. For tracks with shorter straights, which would be most others, I could see gearing lower (44T?).
I have the KTM rear sets and moved them to highest, most forward position. I really like that. I have short legs and this was better for me.
With the mufflers I had, I felt the bike ran better with the cat installed. That, and it was too loud (yosh) or sounded odd (factory) with the others. There’s an odd thing where it feels like the bike actually accelerates just a bit as the throttle is rolled off. I noticed that multiple times. Need to discuss with a good tuner to see what the cause may be. It’s subtle, yet apparent. Some sudden change in AFR make it actually produce a bit more power for a brief instant?
After having the quick shifter tuned at the dealer, and now using Motul 7100, the shifting is much better. Not as nice as an R6 with a Translogic QS, but no longer a frequent issue.
Galfer brake pads seem to have a bit more aggressive bite. I liked them over the factory pads.

Really enjoying the bike. Next step is the lower seat for track use, and perhaps revisit exhaust and tuning options. I would like to get the richer AFR for some grunt, but also to allow engine to run cooler and to eliminate the cat.

·
Registered
131 Posts
After a few minor changes I got to try them on the track. Switched to Pirelli SC3 and couldn’t be happier. Wear was perfect using Pirelli rep recommendation of 28R/36F hot. The shape is different too and felt very good. The rear, a 180/60 was larger in diameter so the bike gearing felt noticeably taller. I had a 42T rear and installed that. Not a big difference, but a move in the right direction. Problem, the factory chain is not long enough for the 42T sprocket. I installed a new chain which I already had and made it longer. Now, with the 42T the axle is nearly all the way back. Quite a bit longer now. I had a recommendation from a respected source that the bike felt better with the front end raised. So, I raised the front ~4mm. Basically the top of the tubes. Yes, I am repeating myself, I just want to include all the changes in one place. Reason is, all this combined, it really felt good. Very stable and easy to ride. Let me focus on my riding which is what I wanted.
with the 42T it was around 9k rpm and ~140mph on the main straight. Just about right for that track, and no shifts required in awkward places elsewhere on the track. For tracks with shorter straights, which would be most others, I could see gearing lower (44T?).
I have the KTM rear sets and moved them to highest, most forward position. I really like that. I have short legs and this was better for me.
With the mufflers I had, I felt the bike ran better with the cat installed. That, and it was too loud (yosh) or sounded odd (factory) with the others. There’s an odd thing where it feels like the bike actually accelerates just a bit as the throttle is rolled off. I noticed that multiple times. Need to discuss with a good tuner to see what the cause may be. It’s subtle, yet apparent. Some sudden change in AFR make it actually produce a bit more power for a brief instant?
After having the quick shifter tuned at the dealer, and now using Motul 7100, the shifting is much better. Not as nice as an R6 with a Translogic QS, but no longer a frequent issue.
Galfer brake pads seem to have a bit more aggressive bite. I liked them over the factory pads.

Really enjoying the bike. Next step is the lower seat for track use, and perhaps revisit exhaust and tuning options. I would like to get the richer AFR for some grunt, but also to allow engine to run cooler and to eliminate the cat.
Thank's for posting!
Did your lap times get quicker with the Pirelli?
also it you can get a front Sproket with one less tooth, it will make the same as adding two teeth to rear Sproket and can keep same chain.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank's for posting!
Did your lap times get quicker with the Pirelli?
also it you can get a front Sproket with one less tooth, it will make the same as adding two teeth to rear Sproket and can keep same chain.
Thought I had already responded, apparently not. I had not ridden this bike at that track before so no comparison. I am considering going one tooth down on the front in addition to the +1 in the rear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
One of the things I want to improve is the seat. I prefer thin race seats for better feel. I’ve been looking for the KTM race seat for some time and they simply are not available, or the price is ridiculous. I currently am using the lower seat so the original is not being used. I decided to see if I can build a track seat using the factory seat base. Still a work in progress but I think its going to work out well. Here are some pics of the progress:

Last pic is after cutting away excess and giving it a rough sanding. I’ll be doing a few more coats of resin with sanding between and then once smooth adding an addition layer of carbon fiber. Have some 12mm race seat foam to make a pad.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok, think I’m done with mods for the moment. I put on the Arrow Mid-pipe and an Arrow slip-on, reinstalled the Power Commander V with an EDR performance map. Gearing is -1 front +1 rear. All together it now feels amazing. Sounds very healthy too! Of course I need to get it to the track to really know how it all works.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ok, think I’m done with mods for the moment. I put on the Arrow Mid-pipe and an Arrow slip-on, reinstalled the Power Commander V with an EDR performance map. Gearing is -1 front +1 rear. All together it now feels amazing. Sounds very healthy too! Of course I need to get it to the track to really know how it all works.

View attachment 108888
What's your thinking on the gearing? I've not seen that combination before

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
What's your thinking on the gearing? I've not seen that combination before
I really like it. Even on local rides on country roads it feels very good. Time at the track will really tell, but I have little doubt it will be an improvement. As for why, I originally wanted a new 41t rear (stock) but they only had a 42. No big deal. Switching to the Pirellis, they are taller than the Michelins and it made the gearing feel too tall. Rather than switch the rear again I decided to just drop the front 1. Just going to a 45 rear would have done the same thing. With the mapping, exhaust, and gearing it pulls noticeably better.

Slight mod to seat.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I too held off on the Akra for a year as I didn’t wanna spend that kinda money. Honestly, for me it was totally worth it. Wish I would of just bought it first.

The headlight removal kit is a KTM power parts. I just picked up the KTM race seat from the painter today as well. Excited to try it out this weekend.

Does the electrical items trick the bike into thinking the headlight is installed? Another guy who had a 790 says he's getting a warning like with his PP headlight fairing.Not sure if that is a 790 only issue?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes. Need the headlight removal dongle for when headlight is removed. Woodcraft makes one as well. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm heading to my first "real" track day in Pueblo, CO in about a month - starting to think about getting the bike prepped, most involved task is swapping out the coolant for water + water wetter. My main reaction when perusing this thread, though... how the heck are you guys all keeping your orange wheels so clean!?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm heading to my first "real" track day in Pueblo, CO in about a month - starting to think about getting the bike prepped, most involved task is swapping out the coolant for water + water wetter. My main reaction when perusing this thread, though... how the heck are you guys all keeping your orange wheels so clean!?
Maxima SC1 :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I was able to get in a track day with the new gearing and PCV. I was very happy with the combo. Even though it was geared down, I actually got a few more mph on the main straight. With this new gearing I was seeing 143 mph at ~9500rpm. That’s the highest I saw, but can’t say I looked every time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I didn’t realize there was still a track in Pueblo. I raced MX there MANY years ago. I know about High Plains, are there any other tracks?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pike's Peak is the other big one in the area. I've been going to IMI Motorsports NE of Denver which is a smaller track that allows karts, motorcycles, drift cars, etc.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts