KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Current 2019 SDGT Gone: 790 Adv R, 890 Duke R, 690 Enduro R
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Puig 8088H windscreen today. This is the same model that they sell for the 790 Duke and I had no issues fitting it to my 890. The smoke screen could actually pass for stock...lines blend with the rest of the bike nicely. Arms and shoulders are out of the wind and the helmet is in still air to about my brow level with more room to adjust it for higher coverage.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks, actually looks pretty good. Can you do a shot from straight on the bike? It looks like it actually goes nicely with the lines of the bike. Honestly better than I thought it would based on the photos of the windscreen on its own. This one just moved to my shortlist.

·
Registered
Current 2019 SDGT Gone: 790 Adv R, 890 Duke R, 690 Enduro R
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Straight on shot (forgive the lousy photography)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks, that is helpful. I ordered a Puig Trend with visor for another bike but I'll try it on my 890 and post photos. Here is a link.

I've had good look with my MRA screens that have similar adjustable visors.

It is between the screen you have and this one for my 890.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Probably much better protection than the KTM one, but i prefer the KTM windscreen's looks a bit more, though I wish it had a smoked color like this one. It made a massive difference at the track. I'm sure this one's super comfortable to have in front of you, too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Probably much better protection than the KTM one, but i prefer the KTM windscreen's looks a bit more, though I wish it had a smoked color like this one. It made a massive difference at the track. I'm sure this one's super comfortable to have in front of you, too.
Wouldn't one of these just slow you down at the track?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The best answer would be, it depends. I don't have access to a wind tunnel any more but the one I posted upstream might actually help with top speed. There is a reason why Suzuki spent so much time working on the aerodynamics of the 'Busa. A slippery shape is like free HP, actually better, when it comes to top speed.

A human body has a terrible coefficient of drag. A motorcycle is terrible compared to even the typical bad car. A naked bike is probably the worst other than maybe a Harley with ape hanger bars.

So the best we can do, besides use a good windscreen or fairing, is to make our frontal area as small as possible. You can try to improve the drag coefficient as well but then you don't have as much of a nake bike anymore. I am willing to try the Puig and see what improvement I get. I'll be happy with getting less soaked in the rain and a place to tuck in and get out of the buffeting at high speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installed the Puig 8088H windscreen today. This is the same model that they sell for the 790 Duke and I had no issues fitting it to my 890. The smoke screen could actually pass for stock...lines blend with the rest of the bike nicely. Arms and shoulders are out of the wind and the helmet is in still air to about my brow level with more room to adjust it for higher coverage.
Looks really nice! What Fender Eliminator did you install? I just bought the 790 and always put Yoshi exhausts on my bikes. Any issue with the signal indicator melting? Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The wind screen looks great, now that you have had it for a while are you glad you put it on? How does it affect the bikes handling? Do you feel it a lot on the handlebars in a crosswind? Never had a naked bike before or one with the windshield mounted to the handlebar so I am interested in your feedback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Retrotec, and Soulcraft stickers... someone believes that steel is real! 😉 Looks like the screen would be good for long rides at speed, or cooler temps.

·
Registered
2020 890 Duke R, 2009 R1
135 Posts
I rode for seven hours today with my new Powerbronze screen. £100 shipped to Maryland (they're a UK company). Very nice quality, and it works quite well. This is the 270mm version.

·
Registered
2020 KTM 890 Duke R
4 Posts
Thanks to the original post I got one of these for my 2020 890 Duke R. I have it set a little lower and need to test it on the highway today. Maybe up to 100 mph if conditions allow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! How is it working if you will go over 150km/h ? Is it sitting tight? This mounting method isn't making me feel confident))

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi! How is it working if you will go over 150km/h ? Is it sitting tight? This mounting method isn't making me feel confident))
Do you Mean for the KTM Powerparts windscreen or the other ones here? I have ridden to ~145mph indicated speed with the ktm screen without issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you Mean for the KTM Powerparts windscreen or the other ones here? I have ridden to ~145mph indicated speed with the ktm screen without issue.
I mean Puig 8088H.
KTM windscreen just has to work. At least sit there snug) But I don't like how it looks.

When making 200+ km tours with speeds over 150kmh it gets very loud in the helmet even with the earplugs. That's why need some windshield to protect me) but it also has to withstand high speed)

·
Registered
2020 KTM 890 Duke R
4 Posts
I wasn't that crazy about the mounting method either but I have had no issues since fitting the Puig. I even installed handle bar risers and had to adjust the windshield again. On a recent return run from Key Largo I hit almost 190 kph.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wasn't that crazy about the mounting method either but I have had no issues since fitting the Puig. I even installed handle bar risers and had to adjust the windshield again. On a recent return run from Key Largo I hit almost 190 kph.
oh... that's cool.
And what about windniose in general? It got better? Because saw some reviews where people say it got even worse))

·
Registered
2020 KTM 890 Duke R
4 Posts
Before installing the windshield I couldn't go much above 65 mph without closing my face shield. Now I'm able to keep it at 3/4 open at any speed. All of that depends on positioning and angle. My first test ride it was horrible even at around 55 mph so I ended up lowering it to where it is in my photo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts