KTM Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got a 2021 890 R from the dealer a few months ago. Got the QS tech pack I've put 600 miles on it. Not once in those 600 miles have I been able to get the bike into neutral. Impossible. Unless the bike is turned off then it finds neutral easily. I took it to the dealer and they said "yeah 890s are like that, it's normal" but I've ridden bikes for 10 years and I've never experience anything like this. I mean literally impossible to find neutral. Dealer also said, "make sure you're rolling to find neutral" --No. Can't do it rolling either. I'm not an idiot, the bike can't go into neutral. What should I do?
Same here except I don't have to turn the bike off. Neutral is just hard to get to at a stop light etc. Most times as I am getting ready to stop I try to find neutral and it'll go to 1 then a light tap up hoping for neutral but NOPE, that's 2. Then a very very light touch and yep Neutral.

Not sure how these other owners are claiming they have no issues. Must be just you and I with this issue I guess.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Same here except I don't have to turn the bike off. Neutral is just hard to get to at a stop light etc. Most times as I am getting ready to stop I try to find neutral and it'll go to 1 then a light tap up hoping for neutral but NOPE, that's 2. Then a very very light touch and yep Neutral.

Not sure how these other owners are claiming they have no issues. Must be just you and I with this issue I guess.
I've ridden Harleys for a long time, I was going to get quick Shift via Tech Pack. but after owning it bit over a month & riding it a lot, the gear box easy to shift quick. finding Neutral I just use gear indicator on the screen, but it's not a bad thing as, some gear box's give a lot of false neutrals when riding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wouldn't trust N on dash, it's not shown N when bike was in N like more then 5 times for me already and that's just when I started to take notice and be like huh, I even have a video of it, I'm rolling to a stop in N but no green N light

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wouldn't trust N on dash, it's not shown N when bike was in N like more then 5 times for me already and that's just when I started to take notice and be like huh, I even have a video of it, I'm rolling to a stop in N but no green N light
I have not had that happen to me yet, when N shows on screen I can let clutch leaver go & bike don't move. so far I have ridden 1,562 mile since I got it.(2,500 km )

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got a 2021 890 R from the dealer a few months ago. Got the QS tech pack I've put 600 miles on it. Not once in those 600 miles have I been able to get the bike into neutral. Impossible. Unless the bike is turned off then it finds neutral easily. I took it to the dealer and they said "yeah 890s are like that, it's normal" but I've ridden bikes for 10 years and I've never experience anything like this. I mean literally impossible to find neutral. Dealer also said, "make sure you're rolling to find neutral" --No. Can't do it rolling either. I'm not an idiot, the bike can't go into neutral. What should I do?
It’s pretty hard to find N for me too. One thing I noticed is that going from 1st to N is impossible. Going from 2nd with a half step down to N seems way easier for me. Give that a shot and see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
It’s pretty hard to find N for me too. One thing I noticed is that going from 1st to N is impossible. Going from 2nd with a half step down to N seems way easier for me. Give that a shot and see if it helps.

that stands to reason! as you have quick shift , so you don't want false N shifting 1st to second, but second back to N better.
hope you are enjoying your bike!!

·
Registered
2021 Duke 890 R, 2022 Honda Grom
54 Posts
I'm disappointed with the quickshifter on my 2021 890R to the point where I've disabled it.
Stiff upshifts, missed up and downshifts, and a hard-to-find neutral made even harder when the quickshifter is enabled.

I'm bringing the bike into the shop before the 1-year warranty expires on June 10 to see if they can do anything to make the quickshifter usable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good luck my joke of a dealership just started saying yea we can look into the quickshifter but if we find nothing it will cost you diagnosis, also if there are no codes we won't see a need to do recalibrate regardless of you asking us to do it. Same dumb speal for the valve cover leak, yea we gonna do labor to remove tank but since there is no tsb or known warranty from KTM about this leak you will be charged for the labor to take the tank and inspect if you did something wrong to make it leak since KTM has not published any known defects on the valve cover leak.

Also my pass peg bolt is stripped from og dealer install and same speal nah we won't cover that at all. This was all like 2-3 weeks from my warranty running out so **** them, left with nothing done and just wasted a afternoon arguing with them.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Good luck my joke of a dealership just started saying yea we can look into the quickshifter but if we find nothing it will cost you diagnosis, also if there are no codes we won't see a need to do recalibrate regardless of you asking us to do it. Same dumb speal for the valve cover leak, yea we gonna do labor to remove tank but since there is no tsb or known warranty from KTM about this leak you will be charged for the labor to take the tank and inspect if you did something wrong to make it leak since KTM has not published any known defects on the valve cover leak.

Also my pass peg bolt is stripped from og dealer install and same speal nah we won't cover that at all. This was all like 2-3 weeks from my warranty running out so **** them, left with nothing done and just wasted a afternoon arguing with them.
Hold on, they've been having the same valve cover leak since the first 790s, they can't say it doesn't exist.

I'm disappointed they've still not sorted that issue.

Is the sprocket seal leak still a thing on 890s ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hold on, they've been having the same valve cover leak since the first 790s, they can't say it doesn't exist.

I just got an 890R last month and had the valve cover leak immediately when I got home after picking it up at the dealer. Reported it to the dealer and they said they would address it during first service (which I just did myself). What I found/believe the cause of the valve cover leak is overfilling the oil level. After my second ride on the bike I put it on my stands to look things over (valve cover was leaking). With the bike cold, the oil level in the sight glass was completely full (the sight glass was solid oil). I ran the bike and got it hot and then drained 12 ounces to get the oil level to the top of the acceptable level in the sight glass. When the bike cooled the oil level was approximately mid level in the sight glass. I haven't had a valve cover leak since. I just changed the oil myself and set the oil level halfway in the sight glass, added 2.8 liters of oil, and haven't had a valve cover leak.

This was just my experience with this. I check it after every ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm disappointed with the quickshifter on my 2021 890R to the point where I've disabled it.
Stiff upshifts, missed up and downshifts, and a hard-to-find neutral made even harder when the quickshifter is enabled.

I'm bringing the bike into the shop before the 1-year warranty expires on June 10 to see if they can do anything to make the quickshifter usable.
In my experience, KTM gearboxes need to be run in before they perform optimally. The 890 is known to have issues with random missed shifts when using the quick shifter. My 890R had problems with the 2-3 shift early on. My dealer reset the quick shifter per KTM's procedure twice. At around 2,500 miles the problem went away. My dealer said that was the case with other customers having quick shifter issues. I'm lucky to have a pretty good dealer, they have never BS'd me. I've found that the KTM quickshifter to be one of the best in the industry after they are broken in.

As far as having difficulty finding neutral, that problem is usually down to a mis-adjusted clutch cable.

·
Registered
106 Posts

to answer your last Question, I could not notice any leaks from my 890R, but when I took it in for first service, the mechanic spotted the Sproket seal leak & got the full kit & replaced, under warranty.He said could have been caused by chain adjustment, & he re adjusted chain. my bike all stock & hard to check if seal leaking with the stock front Sproket cover. but no oil dripping from the motor that I can see. it shifts good runs good handles good, stops good . I'll take it back to dealer for next service too. As the mechanic has over 20 years experience on motor bikes & is good at his job!

·
Registered
32 Posts
that stands to reason! as you have quick shift , so you don't want false N shifting 1st to second, but second back to N better.
hope you are enjoying your bike!!
Yes I’m loving the bike. Had some small issues in the beginning but those were resolved. All I need now is solid weather for the rest of the season and I’m golden.

·
Registered
32 Posts
to answer your last Question, I could not notice any leaks from my 890R, but when I took it in for first service, the mechanic spotted the Sproket seal leak & got the full kit & replaced, under warranty.He said could have been caused by chain adjustment, & he re adjusted chain. my bike all stock & hard to check if seal leaking with the stock front Sproket cover. but no oil dripping from the motor that I can see. it shifts good runs good handles good, stops good . I'll take it back to dealer for next service too. As the mechanic has over 20 years experience on motor bikes & is good at his job!
My mechanic mentioned that this leak can be caused by the chain being too tight as well. Apparently the KTM chains are supposed to be significantly looser than Japanese bikes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My mechanic mentioned that this leak can be caused by the chain being too tight as well. Apparently the KTM chains are supposed to be significantly looser than Japanese bikes.

I think if bike has more travel in rear shock and spring , you need to adjust looser, or be able to compress rear shock while turning rear wheel ( but I don't know how you could do that on a work stand ) normally you would get the rider dressed in riding gear to sit on the bike & check chain adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
2021 D890R, 2016 D690R, 2014 D690R, 2012 D690, 2008 RC8...
2,741 Posts
I had shifting issues at my first track day where the bike wouldn't upshift.
Turns out it was me not the bike.
The TCX boots I was wearing are thicker than what I'm used to.

So did not notice I was slightly pressing on the gear lever and that's why I would not shift up.

Moved my foot a bit more and it worked fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I has shifting issues at my first track day where the bike wouldn't upshift.
Turns out it was me not the bike.
The TCX boots I was wearing are thicker than what I'm used to.

So did not notice I was slightly pressing on the gear lever and that's why I would not shift up.

Moved my foot a bit more and it worked fine.
Good to hear! It is surprising how much time can be lost or gained in how quick we can shift.
I was drag racing another bike I owned, & the gear shift leaver was adjusted further from my boot than I normally have it. So after one pass down quarter mile, I re adjusted the gear shift leaver , & got half a second off my Quarter Mile ET. that is enough time to move me five bike lengths ahead.

·
Registered
419 Posts
KTMs are notorious for this. My RC8 does the same thing. It takes a VERY light touch to get it into neutral and there's usually no "snick" when it does.

Seems to work best in the downward direction with just the lightest tap. Once you find the "sweet spot" you'll get it every time

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get the KTM Power Parts race rearsets. Shifting will improve dramatically. It wont be perfect, but it will be 80% better. This thing shifts like a tractor! I wish KTM would contact me to discuss how to improve this. But they SHOULD know what they are doing. Or they can get their hands on an Yamaha R1, by far the best QS ive ever used. I measured the shift lever on stock rearsets vs KTM PP rearsets and the shift lever is 1 inch longer on KTM PP so thats why it is an improvement. 1-2 is horrendous and 2-3 is a bit cringy sometimes but to me its obvious they designed the bike with the PP rearsets then put stockers on there for mass production. The fact they want you to recalibrate the shifter to make it shift properly is rediculous. The fact they use a proximity sensor instead of a pressure sensor is also rediculous. They charge EXTRA! for the QS and its sub-par, rediculous. In this day in age of electronic aides to be this sloppy is rediculous. As you can see i have some strong feelings about this QS....

21 - 40 of 43 Posts