KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed bar end mirrors and am very happy with them. Highsider victory EVO which are apparently the same mirrors as the KTM bar end mirrors. The stock mirrors were just too close to me riding, especially in fast turns.

Hopefully my new exhaust arrives as scheduled Tuesday so I can jettison that boomerang exhaust. The sound coming from it reminds me of my lawnmower. It better be money well spent :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bar end mirrors rock. Even though I bought aftermarket ones, the difference in viewing traffic compared to the (good looking) stock ones is chalk and cheese.
I went with a decat pipe and the note is awesome.
Great looking bike bro’. Keep posting all of your changes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bar end mirrors rock. Even though I bought aftermarket ones, the difference in viewing traffic compared to the (good looking) stock ones is chalk and cheese.
I went with a decat pipe and the note is awesome.
Great looking bike bro’. Keep posting all of your changes.
View attachment 107870
Thanks. The only things I plan on changing are the exhaust and the tail. I bought a sparks grid-o dual slip on since it seems like it has a nice tone and the duals looks great on this bike. New York state is cracking down on aftermarket exhausts for loudness so a slip on is less work to change the bike back during annual inspections. I had to get it from an Italian distributor since it's not carried in the US anymore. I went with the Bagoros tail tidy which is coming from Slovenia. Not sure when that is supposed to get here yet since the shipping info isn't complete.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing I want to find out is when the low fuel light comes on. The manual doesn't provide the fuel remaining (reserve) when the light flashes. Riding today the light came on and range left was 30 miles. I rode about 20 more miles to a gas station because it has a 93 octane only pump and filled the bike with 3.1 gallons. So there was probably a half gallon left in the tank prior to fueling. That means the low fuel light probably comes on after 3 gallons burned of the 3.7 gallons in a full tank (0.7 gallons reserve). Does anyone know if this is the case?

·
Registered
105 Posts
One thing I want to find out is when the low fuel light comes on. The manual doesn't provide the fuel remaining (reserve) when the light flashes. Riding today the light came on and range left was 30 miles. I rode about 20 more miles to a gas station because it has a 93 octane only pump and filled the bike with 3.1 gallons. So there was probably a half gallon left in the tank prior to fueling. That means the low fuel light probably comes on after 3 gallons burned of the 3.7 gallons in a full tank (0.7 gallons reserve). Does anyone know if this is the case?
I just fill up after about 180mile have not tried to see how low I can get it, we measure gas in Litres , I think the tank holds about 14L . also here in Australia we have a different way of working out Octane so it might seem like we have higher octane gas, but it's just the way we work out octane. I use 98 octane but would be same as your 93 octane.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just fill up after about 180mile have not tried to see how low I can get it, we measure gas in Litres , I think the tank holds about 14L . also here in Australia we have a different way of working out Octane so it might seem like we have higher octane gas, but it's just the way we work out octane. I use 98 octane but would be same as your 93 octane.
I had to look up the correct octane rating for the bike. The manual specifies 95 ROZ which is roughly equivalent to 91 Octane in the USA. However, many pumps are blender systems and the fuel in the hose is usually 87 octane since most cars here use that. I know I'm being cautious but I prefer gas stations that have a dedicated premium fuel hose since the tank on this bike is so small.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had to look up the correct octane rating for the bike. The manual specifies 95 ROZ which is roughly equivalent to 91 Octane in the USA. However, many pumps are blender systems and the fuel in the hose is usually 87 octane since most cars here use that. I know I'm being cautious but I prefer gas stations that have a dedicated premium fuel hose since the tank on this bike is so small.
think here KTM manual say's 95 or better, high octane just burns slower. but the motor makes it's best HP on the verge of detonation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So is the field of view better? I read elsewhere that they were compromised vs standard mirrors - but that may have been in the under bar position.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would expect the light to come in with 3.5 of the 14.0 litres remaining. That is a common reserve size with KTM.

Tonight I had the fuel warning start with a range of 60 km. I was doing some aggressive acceleration runs and it showed 0 km range maybe 40 km later. 10 km after it starting showing 0 km range I filled up. Put 13.1 L in. That would make the fuel warning come on around 3.5 L. It’s hard to judge because I was doing lots of stops and starts so the economy nosedived.

The fuel consumption reported by my bike is under by 15-20%. It’s not even close.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So is the field of view better? I read elsewhere that they were compromised vs standard mirrors - but that may have been in the under bar position.
The field of view is better since the mirrors are farther apart and you have more adjustment available. I tried them under the bar and rode around my neighborhood and went right home and moved them above the bar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would expect the light to come in with 3.5 of the 14.0 litres remaining. That is a common reserve size with KTM.

Tonight I had the fuel warning start with a range of 60 km. I was doing some aggressive acceleration runs and it showed 0 km range maybe 40 km later. 10 km after it starting showing 0 km range I filled up. Put 13.1 L in. That would make the fuel warning come on around 3.5 L. It’s hard to judge because I was doing lots of stops and starts so the economy nosedived.

The fuel consumption reported by my bike is under by 15-20%. It’s not even close.
I just filled up the bike tank right after the flashing low fuel indicator came on. The bike went 121 miles since last fill up. I added 2.91 gallons of fuel so my MPG is about 41.5 mpg which is way under the bike's estimate of 60.1 mpg. So the bike is 46% optimistic on fuel consumption.

Also, the low fuel light came on at about 3 gallons burned so there is a 0.7 gallon reserve or 29 miles until empty.

·
Registered
105 Posts

That is cutting it very fine!
I was in the bush yesterday & on my 890 r , I think it was showing two bars when I filled up, I got 10L in the tank, I had to fill as was a good distance from home & no servo's between. I had traveled a bit over 300km when I filled. the mechanic at the KTM dealer , said Ampol is good fuel & said if I can just run on that, & lucky enough there was an Ampol Servo to fill at.
What brand do other Aussies like to use? & what octane?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Installed the new spark grid-o slip-on exhaust today. Started with the db inserts removed but it the bike was too loud. Put the db inserts in and it was much better. Nice lower tone than stock. Couldn't go for a ride because of rain so after I get to hear it while riding I may remove the inserts.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
View attachment 107858 I installed bar end mirrors and am very happy with them. Highsider victory EVO which are apparently the same mirrors as the KTM bar end mirrors. The stock mirrors were just too close to me riding, especially in fast turns.

Hopefully my new exhaust arrives as scheduled Tuesday so I can jettison that boomerang exhaust. The sound coming from it reminds me of my lawnmower. It better be money well spent :)
Sorry, but I can't advocate bar end mirrors. My problem is that to use them, you need to take your eyes farther off the road ahead than with OEM mirrors. That interval to look down and away from the road, and then look back up & ahead could wreck your day, or worse. Just my $.02, but function should far outweigh style here, in this rider's opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, but I can't advocate bar end mirrors. My problem is that to use them, you need to take your eyes farther off the road ahead than with OEM mirrors. That interval to look down and away from the road, and then look back up & ahead could wreck your day, or worse. Just my $.02, but function should far outweigh style here, in this rider's opinion.
Well, the beauty of having choices is that we can find what suits each of us individually. Personally, the stock mirrors were too close to me and no matter how I adjusted them, moved the stalks, etc I couldn't get the view I wanted. The end bar mirrors are actually about only a half mirror distance farther away from the bike centerline than the stock mirrors. Glancing over at them is pretty much the same as conventional mirrors. I have them upward and canted forward. They work great for me, and I see what's beside and directly behind. Absolutely love them. We all need to do what we feel is best for ourselves. Cheers and safe riding!

·
Registered
32 Posts
View attachment 107858 I installed bar end mirrors and am very happy with them. Highsider victory EVO which are apparently the same mirrors as the KTM bar end mirrors. The stock mirrors were just too close to me riding, especially in fast turns.

Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I second this, I won't change mirrors due to safety vs looking cooler, your glancing is still glancing vs not having to glance at all, I check mirrors multiple times per min and each one of those glances will add up over time to mins of not having your eyes on the road

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I can't say, as I've never tried bar end mirrors.
we are allowed to split the lanes, so going between stopped cars bit harder with bar end mirrors I would expect.
my bike is 100% stock.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts