KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Current Kramer 690 owner who wants to buy a Kramer GP2 (which is based on the 890 loosely). However, the GP2 is indefinitely sold out and unavailable which brings me to wanting to build my own poor man's version from scratch. So, a few questions about the 890 platform, and I appreciate everyone's input:

1. How much weight can you shed from the 890 for a track-only build? ~10lbs from exhaust, ~10 from wheels (going to Dymag carbons), ~10 from everywhere else? I believe the starting point of the 890 is 390 lbs wet, correct?
  2. I am encouraged to see the various exhaust options for the 890 - which is the lightest full system that comes with a flash/ECU map?
  3. What's the best option for suspension at the moment?
  4. I see KTM powerparts offers factory triples - are those worth the expense or for bling only?
  5. Anyone make clipons for better track riding position?
  6. Does the factory downshift auto blipper work well?
  7. Does AIM offer an engine harness to get engine data onto the SOLO DL?
I should say money is no object for this build as it would still be well under the price of a GP2 Kramer. Thanks all,

·
Registered
2020 890 Duke R, 2009 R1
140 Posts
I can't answer all your questions, but here we go...

The 890 R is closer to 410-414lbs curb weight stock, IIRC. One member here weighed his brand new and indeed shed weight with the wheels, exhaust, etc.

I don't know about the lightest, but if money is no object, I'd get the full Akrapovic system. I'm pretty sure there's a map they flash for that.

Suspension is weird. They're hard to find, I think, but WP makes upgraded front cartridges, but they're around $2k!! I think you could actually do cheaper Öhlins hah.

The quick shifter has been very good for downshifts for me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Heres what I can answer:

I think the lightest 890R I've seen was like 378 or something like that. Theres a thread floating around. They used dymag aluminum wheels.

I think the factory triples may be a tiny bit lighter but it's mostly bling.

Inhave Andreani inserts up front. So far they're great. At ~$700USD they're very cheap. I will test them at the track on the 30th this month, but on a shakedown they seem to pair nicely with the OEM rearbshock unit. Afaik, this is the cheapest way to get fine preload adjustment. The other alternative is (I think) ktm sells preload shims, but this is obviously a PITA because you have to disassemble the cartridge to make an adjustment.

Be warned though, the Andreani inserts are about 20mm longer than the OEM units, so I had to make a longer lift pin for my front stand to get the front wheel completely off the ground.

Woodcraft makes an adapter for clipon that I Want to get eventually. If you get em, please post your opinion of them!

The QS Is great, imo, but can be a. It rough outside of it's intended use range. Ie, down shifting from lower RPM or while not at least 50% on brakes can reveal less smooth shifting.

Have fun catching 600s and 1000s on low speed corner exits. The torque is bananas. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

Current Kramer 690 owner who wants to buy a Kramer GP2 (which is based on the 890 loosely). However, the GP2 is indefinitely sold out and unavailable which brings me to wanting to build my own poor man's version from scratch. So, a few questions about the 890 platform, and I appreciate everyone's input:

1. How much weight can you shed from the 890 for a track-only build? ~10lbs from exhaust, ~10 from wheels (going to Dymag carbons), ~10 from everywhere else? I believe the starting point of the 890 is 390 lbs wet, correct?
  2. I am encouraged to see the various exhaust options for the 890 - which is the lightest full system that comes with a flash/ECU map?
  3. What's the best option for suspension at the moment?
  4. I see KTM powerparts offers factory triples - are those worth the expense or for bling only?
  5. Anyone make clipons for better track riding position?
  6. Does the factory downshift auto blipper work well?
  7. Does AIM offer an engine harness to get engine data onto the SOLO DL?
I should say money is no object for this build as it would still be well under the price of a GP2 Kramer. Thanks all,
Are you racing? Are you racing at a top level? Like top 5 of club racing, or are you looking at a MotoAmerica or European competition?

I understand why you would be curious the modifications, but they aren't really necessary unless you answered yes to the last two questions above...

Just get your suspension setup and run the right tire combination.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Are you racing? Are you racing at a top level? Like top 5 of club racing, or are you looking at a MotoAmerica or European competition?

I understand why you would be curious the modifications, but they aren't really necessary unless you answered yes to the last two questions above...

Just get your suspension setup and run the right tire combination.
Hey, as someone who used to track a rattletrap, moving to a well built bike is very satisfying. Sometimes people just want the best hardware, and theres nothing wrong with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts