KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I just bought a 2001 KTM 250SX. I used to ride a 1992 Kawasaki KDX200, so this bike is quite a change! After I bought the bike yesterday, a friend told me I should not have bought the SX because I only do trail riding. He figures I should sell it and buy an EXC, because the SX's power is to unwieldy in tight spots. This brings me to my first couple questions:

Is the 250SX SX a bad idea for my riding?

If the 250 SX is too much power for the trails, will simply adding a flywheel weight fully tame it, or will it only partially tame it?

I really don't want to get rid of the bike, the test drive I took it on was way to much fun! However, I do find the ride height to be very tall. I can't touch the ground at all without leaning the bike over to one side. This brings me to my next question:

Can the 250SX be lowered? If so, what would I have to do to lower it about 1.5 to 2"?

Now onto a question about bearings. Both the front and rear wheel bearings need to be replaced. (play when I try moving the wheel from side to side) Is this easy to do? Can I do it myself, or do I need specialized tools?

And now a question about the pressurized can that is attached to the top of the monoshock in the rear. (I don't know what it's called). The dial that is used to adjust it is no longer there. The guy who sold me the bike to me said it was missing when he bought it, and that I can just use pliers to adjust it. Does anyone know what the dial is for, and if I can pick one up at my KTM dealer?

And finally a question about gas mixture ratio and transmission oil. What is the fuel:eek:il ratio? What weight and type of oil should I be using for the transmission?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first KTM.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ride height issues too

I recently acquired a 94 250 sx and have an extremely hard time touching the ground at 5' 7''. Did you ever have any luck lowering your bike? I moved my front forks up about 1/2'' ( all I can before adjusters hit handlebars) but this didnt gain me near enough. I need about 2'' lower....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mx bikes typically have much firmer suspension compared to trail bikes. Try backing out all the preload or changing springs. This will help the bike soften up on trails and it should ride a bit lower with you on it. Flywheel weight and a good woods pipe along with some jetting adjustment should turn a mx'er into a formidable woods bike. Two strokes are very responsive to these bolt on mods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I grew up riding the trails in the national forest north of Houston and I only rode motocross bikes. They are typically faster, lighter, have much better suspension, and are easier to handle than trails-specific bikes.

One of the few complaints I ever had is that the gearing was sometimes too tall for really tight trails, but that an easy fix with a new sprocket. We also used to cut off about an inch from each side of the handle bars to make it easier to get through tight parts.

Don't let anyone discourage you from a motocross bike on the trails. It'll be even more fulfilliing when you run off and leave the guys on the trail bikes. :yes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts