KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be attending a funeral tomorrow for Jared Proctor, 21 years old of Brandywine,Maryland ,last week (Tuesday)he and his father were vacationing in eastern Tennesee, and enjoying the roadway known as "the Snake". On the last pass of the day,he apparently failed to negotiate one of the turns, and slid head -on into a tree , breaking his neck, and dying "instantly". This young man , whom I'd only met once, but knew his father a little bit better was riding a late model sport bike, with little experience. He was the only child, and his father flew back with him to BWI , in a box. What else can be said? a very sad state of affairs... parents devastated ****R.I.P.****

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
who buys their kid a 'Busa?

21 years old? first bike? c'mon!

·
Premium Member
14,816 Posts
21 years old? first bike? c'mon!

RIP. Jared.

I had a buddy that was in the Marines stationed at Pendleton in the '80s.

He got into a low speed slide, and went to the Naval Hospitals motorcycle injury ward. I visited him there many times.

You would be shocked at the amount of serious injuries (comas, paralysis)
that come from young guys with money, and no riding experience.
They buy the BIGGEST, FASTEST bike made.
The whole ward (on full wing) was all motorcycle accidents.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
RIP Jared

The motorcycle community in general has long been opposed to graduated licensing, but I really think its time has come. Its not just kids on sportbikes, one of the biggest increases in fatalities has been middle aged men, "born again bikers", getting the biggest cruiser made with their last riding experience being 20 years prior

·
Registered
24 Posts
Some detailed statistics of accidents would help to pin point the areas in need of remedial legislation or action. A couple of the most experienced and skillful riders have been killed on scooters by vehicles which I think are the real culprit rather than lack of training. My observation is that automobile drivers are increasingly careless and distracted if not incompetent. I say stricter instruction, testing and licensing standards for auto operators which would include emphasis on motorcycle awareness. As one who has been victimized by a careless driver, I see this as the only route. No amount of skill and training in the world is of any use if there are no options at avoidance.

·
Premium Member
14,816 Posts
Some detailed statistics of accidents would help to pin point the areas in need of remedial legislation or action. A couple of the most experienced and skillful riders have been killed on scooters by vehicles which I think are the real culprit rather than lack of training. My observation is that automobile drivers are increasingly careless and distracted if not incompetent. I say stricter instruction, testing and licensing standards for auto operators which would include emphasis on motorcycle awareness. As one who has been victimized by a careless driver, I see this as the only route. No amount of skill and training in the world is of any use if there are no options at avoidance.
Well said.

I don't think you will get auto drivers to be less distracted, with all
the new distractions car companies are putting into new cars.

Until cars come with more collision avoidance features, it's up to
us riders to keep are heads on swivels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts