KTM Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Superduke 990.

Hi.

I know this question has been dealt with all over internet but it's interesting that I don't find a definitive answer.

Best accurate method to check oil in our superduke?

Owner's manual says at least 4 bars, one minute idle then check. A lot of other people say because it's dry sump, you must take it for a good ride to make sure engine is hot not just warm then 1 minute idle and then check oil

These are only two methods mentioned everywhere but which one is the right one? You get two totally different oil levels using these two methods.

I always like to follow the Owner's manual but somehow people talking about the second method are very convincing when they explain why we should make sure engine is hot enough not just warm because it's dry sump.

So what's the verdict?

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
384 Posts
A lot of other people say because it's dry sump, you must take it for a good ride to make sure engine is hot not just warm then 1 minute idle and then check oil
That's how I do it. Get it up to temp after a ride, let it idle for a minute, turn off and wait for another minute so it settles, then check.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I check either hot or cold, run the bike a minute or two, then shut it off. Check the level about a minute or so after I shut it off. Works great. Consistent between hot and cold on my 990 and 950, also works on the 1290's. Also, make sure bike is level side to side when checking, front to back isn't so critical, i.e. being on a rear stand is ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts