KTM Forums banner

Advice on purchasing a second hand EXC-F

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  IDTrav 
#1 ·
Looking at a 2017 KTM 250 EXC-F. 130hours. How long before I'd need to do a top end rebuild (nothing done to date). Any other things to check before purchasing?

#2 ·
130 hours on any 250 4 stroke is a senior citizen in the motor world.
120 to 150 hours is very common sale age of 250s because that is the reliable service age of those motors. Lots of riders will dispute this claim because they found their own pampered 250F lived to longer hours. This does not take into account the real world abuse these high performance lightweight motors endure during their sometimes tortured existence. Purchasing any brand 250F with this many hours is a risky purchase. You may be the fortunate buyer of a gently used wife or girlfriend bike, or the unlucky buyer of a teenage shread head wannabe moto maniac. A compression and cylinder leakage test and visible exhaust smoke check can help indicate engine condition, as can service records check and careful visual and running noises checks, but run time hours are engine wear hours and a high revving 250 is a high wear customer. Have a few engine rebuild quotes to prepare for the possible expense of worn engine parts from a high wear motor. This can help your possible negotiations with your seller or at least help you make a decision. Good luck to you

#4 ·
the EXC-F is a different animal for a different rider. longer engine life expectancy is more likely for several reasons including a larger engine would not work as hard as its smaller brother. while the usage can still be light or severe, it has proven to be a robust motor and recent post entries here on forum would support the 350 engines longevity. an abusive owner can ruin any machine regardless of its durability, but given reasonable care and treatment i would be more comfortable with the 350 machine if it were my money here. see recent posts here with 350 owners and the long trouble free engine life experienced by 350 riders. good luck with your search

Reactions: IDTrav
#5 ·
As said just like any used bike how hard was it ridden did (they) maintenance the bike or was it taken to a KTM shop. You can put Lipstick on a Pig. Don't count on ~ "130 hours" How do you even know if that's a true? When you go to test ride just the bike and see if it was warmed up before you arrive. Look a the pegs and rims for wear. You can buy all new plastic's a decals to Make them look more attractive. Look a the head pipe for oil that a great indicator of use as well. I loved ridden the 350 EXC-F too same would apply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.