KTM Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Deciding between the Akra and Austin full systems for my 2020 SDR. I was was hoping to hear some feedback comparing the two side by side. It would be great to know things like:

1. Difference in performance
2. Difference in sound (low dB and high dB options)
3. Tuning requirements for each

Any insight would help!

·
Registered
82 Posts
1....no idea
2....no idea
3....Akra includes a KTM/Akra remap (which as a 'race only' system also requires indicators/turn signals to be disabled....there are several workarounds/solutions for road use). It also disables the exhaust valve servo motor (removed with stock exhaust) control software.....the AR system includes(?) a mechanical 'fix'/mod to the servo motor that imitates the exhaust valve still being present (or you can buy a Healtech servo eliminator)
The Akra includes a SAS removal kit also.
AR will require their ATOM tuning device....dont think they have a map yet (although low level pipe only option is said to not require a remap [really?])
And...
4....compare prices! ;-) .....nb: AR's website quotes excl VAT prices

·
Registered
14 Posts
Austin Racing RS2 full system comes with a dongle so you can remove all the exhaust valve gear and it won't throw up a fault code.

With the Akrapovic system your indicators won't work so you need a separate dongle to fix that (or some such solution)

With the AR RS2 system it comes with a resonator muffler underneath and it retains the wide band oxygen sensors so Rich says you don't need a remap at all.

However if you opt for the loud (very loud) version it comes with an extra connector pipe that eliminates the underslung resonator and drops another kg or 2. And that DOES require a remap to get best results.

As far as I'm aware the only remap option (outside of the Akra pipe) is using a Power Commander or similar.

And apparently the Akra map is not particularly great and is way to rich down low and in mid range.

According to Richard at AR they did lots of testing on the RS2 system and he said even with the stock map and the resonator it still has decent gains over the Akra.
And it certainly sounds a lot better.

I talk with Rich reasonably often and he said he put a lot of effort into the 1290r system as it was for his personal bike, so made that little bit extra effort to get it spot on

·
Registered
13 Posts
Curious how the akra evo full system sounds in person. I had very similar cans on a 2020 Hypermotard 950 system and it was very loud. Even with ear plugs it was uncomfortable. But that system was right under the seat/fender, and was a 2-can system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help. Does anyone know the dB levels on the akra? Austin told me the high dB is 112-114 and the low is 98-100. Anyone know where the akra stands?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Akra was maybe 10-15% louder than stock.

No real bark to it and a little muted for my taste..

Austin racing is the way to go. And when you buy the RS22 Hi dB version, you get both the Hi and the low dB as part of the package. So you have some choices
Try both for the same price

·
Registered
85 Posts
Akra was maybe 10-15% louder than stock.

No real bark to it and a little muted for my taste..

Austin racing is the way to go. And when you buy the RS22 Hi dB version, you get both the Hi and the low dB as part of the package. So you have some choices
Try both for the same price
Are you sure about this? The low db version comes with a muffler, where the high db version comes with just straight pipes from what I thought. You have this system?

I have the full akra, it's significantly louder than stock, like scare old ladies when I start it loud (seriously happens often since my office is above the starbucks). I have to be careful in the mornings of my neighbors too. Sounds amazing in my opinion.

The akra slip on is a different story, I've not heard it in person.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The high db version definitely comes with both the straight pipe and the under slung muffler too.

That's why the high db version is more expensive then the muffler version. Cos it has both the muffler AND the extra pipe to relieve the muffler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts